1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 Super Duty has been a real disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM
marcs724
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 Super Duty has been a real disappointment

I'll start by saying I've owned 6 super duties since 2000, they've all been great trucks (even the 6.0 I had never gave me any trouble). I usually buy a new truck every other year, mostly for tax purposes, and also because I use my truck rather hard and I don't want to get into a spot where I'm still making payment and also facing major repairs. They're always well maintained, but I regularly tow heavy, and also plow snow commercially, with a rather heavy snowplow and also a salt spreader that when loaded probably weights around 3k. So she does earn her spot in the garage.

Since the Super Duty came out, Ford had THE toughest/.most capable work truck........period. But with this '12 it seems like they've really gotten away from that and are catering towards those who use their SD to get groceries and nothing else. Sure the numbers are there as far as towing/payload, etc. but the very first thing I did when I bought my '12 was install airbags because I couldn't tow any of my trailers without the truck squatting badly. The trailers are all within the truck's listed capacities also. So, I could live with that.........disappointed but I can make it work.

My biggest complaint is that the problems continue to add up. The truck was bought new in June 2012 and now has just over 37000 on it. Here's the list of issues so far:

around 20k, experienced turbo flutter when lugging under moderate load in 6th gear. After a few rounds, they replaced the turbo under warranty.

30kboth batteries mysteriously shorted out at the same time (So they say, I'm not sure how..........) Ford replaced both under warranty

35klost a seal somewhere in the auto hubs, so 4x4 wouldn't engage unless hubs were locked in. Fixed under warranty.

And just over the weekend I suddenly had what sounded like I'd installed a set of Super Swampers on the truck.......like a loud tire noise. Thought maybe I'd broken a belt or something, so with the dealer closed I ran into a local shop. Said your tires are fine, both front wheel bearings are shot. I have to wonder if the fine folks at Ford somehow caused this to happen since they were just in there like two or three weeks ago fixing the front hubs. I've never had one of these newer ones apart so I'm not sure if that's even possible but it sure seems like an odd coincidence. The truck now has 37k on it, so its just out of warranty. Also, the turbo flutter noise returned over the weekend as well. So, it'll be back to the dealer again tomorrow........

I absolutely love the way the 6.7 runs......the torque and mileage are unbelievable. I bleed Ford Blue, so I just don't think I could ever really drive another brand. I'm hoping maybe I just got a lemon, and this isn't a sign of things to come with newer trucks, but so far this one isn't up to the task by any means.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other than the turbo and the weak springs the problems seem normal, although the miles seem a little soon. Since the batteries are directly connected to each other, if one is bad enough it can ruin the other. I'm assuming they still use unit bearings, which haven't been known for extremely long life. I wouldn't think you could damage them replacing hubs unless they use a new design of some sort.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very few people register on a forum to come post how they're not having any problems. That said, what you're describing isn't normal. The squatting maybe, though the F350 has the rake in it for exactly how you're using it, so that it sits level when weighed down. Otherwise you should be getting something with heavier duty spring packs.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Did you get the snow plow prep for the truck, along with the heavy duty or dual alternators?

I wonder if the load on the batteries had something to do with it.

Ford for 2014 is fixing the rear squat now that we all complain about. The springs were adjusted for smooth unloaded rides but they went too far.

ESOP issues is not new.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 PM
marcs724
Senior User
Yes the truck has plow prep and dual alternators. It's not like the truck is loaded heavy 24/7 either. I tow probably 2-5 times a week, and the snow plow is off unless I'm plowing. The spreader is only 600 lbs empty, and I even take that out if there's no snow in the forecast for a few days or a week because I can't haul anything when it's in, and it's a pain to tow with it back there.

I really hate to have these issues.....Overall I do like the truck, and I can't see me getting mad enough to buy another brand. I guess next time around I'll have to insist on an F350 SRW and hope for the best.

Do any of you know if the wheel bearings will be covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty? Or does it fall under the 3/36? Either way I think it's rather odd that they just had all that apart and now the bearings have failed. We shall see.......they couldn't get me in until THursday.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
hubs would be covered by the powertrain warranty. Warranty goes by part #. Ask the SA to look the hubs up beforehand.

I had one done on my 08 just before 60K and it was covered.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM
marcs724
Senior User
I remember hearing something about the front wheel bearings on the super duties about how you can't just buy a good ol $20 bearing and race like the good ol days? And now you have to buy the entire hub/bearing assembly as one? Sounds pricey, which is why I'm hoping it's covered under warranty!! Of all the Supers I've owned, I've never had to mess with wheel bearings.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Yeah they have unit bearings so you have to buy the whole assembly. They aren't known for their durability, but 37000 definitely seems early for them to fail. That being said, I don't see how they could have compromised them by doing the other repairs

Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Powertrain warranty will cover your hubs and bearings. Is it really 5 years or 60k now? I was looking back at my paperwork a while back and it said my Powertrain warranty was 6 years or 100k. Maybe things have changed since 05.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 PM
406ford
New User
If i were you I would sell that 2012 and go get 2 older 7.3 super duties that are in decent shape. Plow and tow with one and keep the other as a spare. People complain about new vehicles breaking all the time
Well I got news for yah. The more parts that are on it the more opportunities there are for something to break. It is as simple as that. I have a 2002 f250 with 312000 miles on it. I dont use it for towing but it would tow whatever I asked it to. The weakest part of the 7.3 is the 4r100 my stock transmission let go at 290000 miles. Ill take that. my advice to you is get a stick shift. Will you be making 800ft lbs of torque with a 7.3? No, but plenty of people have plowed with them and they will work just as hard as a 6.7

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
A plow truck have front end problems? Nah, they are built tough for that kind of stuff.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by marcs724
...So, it'll be back to the dealer again...
Let me know what you hear from the dealership, marcs724. If you need me to step in and assist, send me a PM with your name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info; I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Ian123- even though they are unit bearings there is a way to replace the bearing and ESOF seal. I have a late 99 super duy and was abled to spend $30 for one side including the bearing and seal. I believe the 99-04 uses a different bearing than the 05 and ups. Either way the dealer ship parts counter can help with this. There is also a youtube video of a guy changing the bearing in the winter time.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Other than the turbo issue, I'm of the frame of mind that your issues are all plowing related

You can't put that sort of load and stresses on front components without something giving. Phrase "pay to play" comes to mind. Kind of like when guys put huge winch bumpers/winches (300+ lbs) on and find it odd when the ball joints fail

Now if you didn't plow or haul heavy...different story. The front end components for these trucks aren't known for their longevity, but they don't typically fail that soon either

Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Yeah I totally missed the plow part. That probably explains the early failure of the wheel bearings.

Bently_Coop, I've never heard of anyone getting around replacing the unit bearings as a whole, but like you said maybe the older trucks are different

Quick Reply: '12 Super Duty has been a real disappointment