Break-In Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Buy_American74
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break-In Advice

Hello Guys and Gals,
I'm awaiting my new 2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew to be delivered in the first week of December. My plans were to drive it home (Florida) from Virginia for the holiday's. I've heard that there is a break in process for new F-150's. is this true? And is it alright for me to drive 600-800 miles on the first road trip after having it for less than two weeks?? Any response is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new truck!!

You'll likely never have an issue. The best thing to do IMHO is drive it during break in the way you intend to drive it all the time.

Consider the rental fleets for instance, they get a new car in, prep it and then rent is fast as possible.

Have a safe trip!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Buy_American74
Hello Guys and Gals,
I'm awaiting my new 2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew to be delivered in the first week of December. My plans were to drive it home (Florida) from Virginia for the holiday's. I've heard that there is a break in process for new F-150's. is this true? And is it alright for me to drive 600-800 miles on the first road trip after having it for less than two weeks?? Any response is greatly appreciated.
You won't hurt it. Here are the break-in instructions from my 2013 Owner's Guide:

Originally Posted by 2013 F150 Owner's Guide
BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km).
During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unique driving
characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1600 km).
Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do
not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1000 miles (1600 km).

Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you do get your F150 post up some pics!

Tom has kindly shown you what the owners manual says in regards to break in. I algree with part of it that says vary your speed Frequently meaning deliberate accelerations and decelerations. (I.E. don't use cruise control for the first 2 or 3 hundred miles)

When you should do your FIRST oil change is up for debate. Old school thinking is getting that oil out of the motor within those first several hundred miles, since the motors are built better than they used to be it is not quite as important now. I personally changed mine at 450 miles and the dealer looked at me like I was crazy. Peace of mind for me was worth the oil change.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
Our dealer was adamant about the fact that we should drive like we would normally drive. I also chose to not to an oil change until 6500. Just hit 13k and will be doing the second. Had the truck since February.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Buy_American74
Freshman User
Hey PrinceValium, that is some very good advice and i will take it all into consideration. Really appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Welcome to the forum! When you do get your F150 post up some pics!

Tom has kindly shown you what the owners manual says in regards to break in. I algree with part of it that says vary your speed Frequently meaning deliberate accelerations and decelerations. (I.E. don't use cruise control for the first 2 or 3 hundred miles)

When you should do your FIRST oil change is up for debate. Old school thinking is getting that oil out of the motor within those first several hundred miles, since the motors are built better than they used to be it is not quite as important now. I personally changed mine at 450 miles and the dealer looked at me like I was crazy. Peace of mind for me was worth the oil change.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I come from the school of thought where you drive it hard for the first 300 miles to brake it in. if its good for the drag strip, formula one, and Winston cup racing teams then its good for me!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
I come from the school of thought where you drive it hard for the first 300 miles to brake it in. if its good for the drag strip, formula one, and Winston cup racing teams then its good for me!
Me too!!
I've got less than 800 miles on mine - it's been red lined many times and I mash the go pedal almost every day.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
The difference with those race teams is that they break down a motor and clean them usually after every race...not to mention replacing any parts they deem questionable.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Break it in like you intend to drive it. (Except for the towing) this site is interesting Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power although its about motorcycles, Ive always had great results in my trucks and bikes as far as I can tell. Not saying you should drag race them but I wouldnt worry too much about these engines.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
The difference with those race teams is that they break down a motor and clean them usually after every race...not to mention replacing any parts they deem questionable.
true on the brake down after every run. but I have never had issues with my motors that I brake in like that. now I am not saying its the only way but I am saying its the way I do it.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RCKYMTN-PSD
Break it in like you intend to drive it. (Except for the towing) this site is interesting Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power although its about motorcycles, Ive always had great results in my trucks and bikes as far as I can tell. Not saying you should drag race them but I wouldnt worry too much about these engines.
I have followed this method for my motorcycles and have had strong running bikes! This site was the one that turned me on to the way to break in a motor.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Break-in is simple... check the oil, drive it like you stole it till 1K, change the oil, be happy. A quality synthetic if you want (M1 being my choice).

My 09 5.4 rolled 135K tonight and is still running strong without burning any oil. I've never been gentle with it.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:50 AM
026TB4U
Senior User
That site says change the oil after 20 miles? Most new trucks have more than that from test drives.

I have usually changed at 1000 but I can always do it earlier.

When do you guys do the first oil change?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:23 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
I did my truck at about 2000 the bikes around 100 since they were being ridden like I stole them around 11000 rpm. Like the site says, I would not use synthetic until long after break in period. Heard that advice from many sources.
I think these newer engines are built to where break in is not a big issue or else the manufacturer would be stressing the importance of that and a early oil change much more. Its not like the old days when a motor might blow a little smoke until the rings seated properly.

Quick Reply: Break-In Advice