Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The swing- Aways do rust pretty bad on the brackets though

Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 AM
osu711
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I gotta go with Brad on this one. I have never seen an OBS with those mirrors and rust streaks. Maybe those owners cleaned the rust off every week. If you like the other nemos or whatever they are, just say that and everyone else, including me, can suck it. BUT, you did ask for an opinion and you got it. I call BS on the rust streaks. I have lived in winter driven states and have never seen this rust you speak of...and that is on ranch trucks that never get cleaned!
Our farm trucks get cleaned..... Once in a while

If anything my lower bracket streaks mud down the door, because it holds mud on it and washes off and dribbles down the doors. Also they rust in where the mirror pivots and gets hard to adjust. I have to agree w/corey on the rust issue, its just I can see out of the swing aways better

Old 12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Ok, let's clear this up once and for all.. Read back in the thread and find where I asked for anyone's opinion on what mirrors I should put on my truck. I believe you'll find no such question; merely a question about mounting holes. Honestly, we're all here for the same reason because we love these obs trucks and most of us have had more than one to prove it. Just because I want what I want and had a question for those who've possibly dealt with a similar situation is no reason to get upset about a mirror.. If we were all the same this world would b one boring place... Know what I'm sayin; not tryin to offend anyone.. Thanks duggyb, I thought I was goin crazy for a second...
My mistake. I thought you asked for an opinion on the two different mirror styles. Also, wasn't upset in the least. I did say that it was your decision and do what you want no matter what anyone else thinks, including me. Sorry if it came off that way. It's mirrors on an OBS...I really don't care enough to get upset about it. I was stating my one cent that I thought was asked for. Anyways, without towing, the mirrors really don't matter. Just put on what you like and be done...which it sounds like you are doing.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my mirrors fine and I really don't have any problem with the sight out of them. I don't tow much and could see putting on something bigger if I was pulling a 5th wheel or something.
One note to OP - I repainted mine with that spray on rustoleum bedliner and the black came out really nice. If you pick up used ones at a yard, you can clean them up pretty good with the paint and it gives a textured finish that looks like something factory.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My mistake. I thought you asked for an opinion on the two different mirror styles. Also, wasn't upset in the least. I did say that it was your decision and do what you want no matter what anyone else thinks, including me. Sorry if it came off that way. It's mirrors on an OBS...I really don't care enough to get upset about it. I was stating my one cent that I thought was asked for. Anyways, without towing, the mirrors really don't matter. Just put on what you like and be done...which it sounds like you are doing.
Thanks, appreciate that; it is good to see all angles tho, I now have a better understanding of people who actually desire the different styles and why..

I like my mirrors fine and I really don't have any problem with the sight out of them. I don't tow much and could see putting on something bigger if I was pulling a 5th wheel or something.
One note to OP - I repainted mine with that spray on rustoleum bedliner and the black came out really nice. If you pick up used ones at a yard, you can clean them up pretty good with the paint and it gives a textured finish that looks like something factory.
Ooohh, good to know.. I've been lookin on fleabay for mirrors and a center console, gunna make a couple changes...

Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure I would bother getting them from a yard when you can get new ones (non-OEM I would assume) for $22 each...
Certifit.com - Mirrors
They may not be OEM quality, but for that price I sure think I would give them a shot!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I'm not sure I would bother getting them from a yard when you can get new ones (non-OEM I would assume) for $22 each...
Certifit.com - Mirrors
They may not be OEM quality, but for that price I sure think I would give them a shot!
They are JUNK. Buddy of mine put them on his 95. Was VERY please with the fit and finish. Then he went for a ride. Shook all over. And now a year later the chrome is flaking off.

Spend the $$ and buy FORD ones

Old 12-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by duggyb
They only have the 3 bolts at the top holding them not the arms that come down and bolt halfway through the doors which is where it rusts from.
So do the Nemo mirrors. they BOLT to the door as well

Where we live in the northeast Maine in particular is notorious for liberally using a liquid brine solution on the roads in the winter, calcium chloride.. It really should be a crime to use this stuff.. Most of my buddy's have newer GM trucks say 08-12 and the underbody rust on those trucks is stunning... Needless to say wherever that solution sits and goes unattended (washed) it'll start eating any exposed steel.. So take the guy w west coast mirrors or swing aways that's not totally into washing his rig, and w all those mounting points it just takes one or two small points of movement and that solution finds those exposed bits of carbon steel... Ruuuuuuuuuust.... It totally sucks but, gods honest truth... Take a look at these articles, if for nothing else then to understand what kind of Fu?$ing BS we have to go through up here and y I'm so **** about going to that paddle...
Protecting Your Vehicles from Corrosion - Mass Transit Mobile
Calcium Chloride - Hartford Courant
They use the same stuff down her in PA. Makes 2 year old truck have rust and 5 year old truck have ROT.

Still does change how a Nemo mirror is going to rust less than any other type.

All you have to sy, is that i the mirror YOU want. You don't need to come up with BS excuses why

Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic

All you have to sy, is that i the mirror YOU want. You don't need to come up with BS excuses why
Woa woa woa... What prompted that...mad dog 20/20??

Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 PM
osu711
Senior User
I went and re read the previous page and sorry if what I said came out the wrong way, wasn't ment to be taken seriously. If you do get the paddle mirrors make sure you get the kind with the chrome backing (looks better especially your truck being an xlt, kinda adds to the appearance IMO) and I'm not sure if they didn't come with the chrome piece. My uncle has a truck with one mirror with the chrome and the other mirror doesn't have it and it doesn't look no where's as good as the other one with the chrome especially after aging some.

Just my opinion

Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Prompted what? Calling you out on your BS excuses

I could care less if you paint the truck pink w purple poke dots.

You are the one driving it.

And they we would all know you like men, but that is beside the point

Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 PM
duggyb
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
So do the Nemo mirrors. they BOLT to the door as well

They use the same stuff down her in PA. Makes 2 year old truck have rust and 5 year old truck have ROT.

I guess I need to start taking pictures for proof.

in all the trucks i have seen I usually only seen rust coming from the bottom 2 holes and none from the top three or two whether it be western or Nemo.

don't ask me why but they rust from the bottom 2 holes always, you can tell where the water has hit it and ran down creating the rust streaks.

ya those top holes rust sooooo terrible.....NOT

but even more proof westerns rust worse in general

find me a picture of Nemo mirrors that are rusting like that.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Quote:
Prompted what? Calling you out on your BS excuses

I could care less if you paint the truck pink w purple poke dots.

You are the one driving it.

And they we would all know you like men, but that is beside the point
Woa dude, no need for anything like that man... I'm really sorry that something in this thread has made you feel like that but man... You gotta chill out, there's been no BS'ing here, just a couple dudes talking about mirrors on trucks...

Old 12-02-2013, 10:19 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Five more days and she will be yours!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I know! Countin down the hrs... They were further servicing it today and the tailgate has been repaired..

Quick Reply: Western Swing away to the "paddle/nemo/small" mirror