6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2!

Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 PM
BigMix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The worst mileage I have ever got was pulling my TT through the mountains, running and gunning the whole way. It was 8.6 mpg. When driving normal pulling my TT, I get 11 on the interstate. The sweet spot for my truck is 55-60 where I can get up to 16.5-17.1.

I've been on the 6.7 forum as well and you do see the wild comments of 20 mpg when pulling 25K (okay so I exaggerated a bit). The point still remains you have some that will never accept that a 6.2 gasser can handle most situations very well and do more than what most of us will ever need it to do. Some will always try to justify and rationalize for paying more for a diesel.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm completely happy with my 6.2. Love the sound of that big V8 and I find it quite peppy.

I tried two different around town driving styles each over a week long period. First I tried to keep the instantaneous fuel bar has high as I could and let the transmission move the truck. Next week I gave it a bit more gas off the line to pull the lower gears just a little harder accelerating a little faster but then spending more time at steady speed. The mileage was about a half a gallon better using the second technique. My around town in summer at 6000 ft altitude (which makes a huge difference) is in the 15's and in winter with out remote start the 14's.

I pulled my previous camper a travel trailer at 6000 lbs out to the Mississippi river and returned with my new unit a 10000lb fiver. On the way out I was blessed with some pretty good headwinds and wouldn't you know it I got the same on the way back. I don't try to tow faster than 65mph the maximum rated speed of ST trailer tires. My first 100 miles from Cheyenne to Sidney down hill 2000 ft saw me in the 8's. After that for the duration of the trip I was in the 7's.

Altitude has a huge effect on normally aspirated engines Diesel or Gas. In central Nebraska you have a few hours of pretty level running close to 3000ft and in eastern Iowa a few hours below 1000ft. I had no problem pulling 5th below 1000ft and only if the head wind died could I just barely use 5th in Nebraska. Curious thing, at altitude with less power and a lower gear with higher rpm my mileage was similar to lower altitude and a higher gear but the power difference was noticeable.

At altitude I keep on top of it and know what hills I can pull in what gear. If I let the truck do the shifting it will try to hold the higher gear too long and end up down shifting two gears and accelerate back to speed. If I make it down shift one gear before the hill I will not loose speed and go right up. Ford need's to give up thinking this Boss designed high rpm motor is going to pull 10000lbs up hill at 6000ft altitude in 5th gear.

We go from Cheyenne to Gillette often and there are many up hill pulls where I do this force it behavior on both the 2012 Taurus and my truck unloaded as neither will pull those inclines in 6th gear.

Jeff

Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Bigmix- you are dead on..... The 6.2 will and does handle most anything you throw at it. No maybe not as efficient as a 6.7 but to me the spread is not that big. I think lots of diesel guys want to make the argument that running a gasser at 4k rpm is stressful..... Well they obviously they do not understand that all gassers make their peak tq right around 4,200 that's normal that's where it needs to be. It's only Stressful if you think it's harming the engine which it's not.

I have been following the diesel vs gas thread...... The main point is buy what you want but understand the additional items that come with a oil burner....... The 6.2 is as capable just not at the same mpg.

Ryck- from what I have hear the tune does help the mpg a little but nothing earth shattering. An air intake will only give you more sound as well the exhaust upgrades. Nothing is really going to make the 6.2 get diesel mpg.

It gets what it gets..... But no def to deal with no $100 oil changes with the added cost of fuel filters....... Etc etc......

I love the 6.7 it's awesome but I really like my 6.2 it has been problem free since the day I bought it and does everything I ask it to!

If your looking to get a gasser buy a 6.2 hands down! If you want a diesel buy a 6.7......... But don't do likes many guys and buy the gasser and expect performance and mpg to be like the 6.7 then you end up trading in and loosing money like a few guys on the board.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM
BigMix
Senior User
Good report unyalli. It's always interesting to hear about how the 6.2 performs at higher elevations.

Maybe we could start getting turbos or cheaper superchargers ($7K+ is just a little too rich for me right now) to help with the air intake from the aftermarket companies. For those companies listening I would not mind being part of a beta test.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Forget the forum posts. I was bored and decided to read the Diesel Supplement Guide that the diesel owners get. While I was reading it a movie came to mind. Maybe if you have kids you have seen it. "The Croods". It's basically a caveman movie and the father tells these stories and they are similar to this.

"If you don't listen and don't follow the rules, you DIE!"

That's how I felt reading that supplement. So many rules, so many maintenance items to follow and if you don't......you DIE!

I don't doubt their power one bit. You just have to set about 10 recurring reminders on you phone to remind you of all the maintenance items or you DIE! With two young kids, two working parents, and whatever else, I'm lucky I remember to put on socks before I leave my house!

Don't get me wrong I'd really like to own one in the future. I just need more available time to remember all the maintenance items.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:24 PM
The_Head
Freshman User
I'm one oh those guys that doesn't pull very often or very heavy. I was doing some math on fuel costs diesel vs gas, and it would take about 45 years for me to recoup the cost of the PS upgrade in fuel cost savings.

I don't see my use of a truck changing in the near future, but you never know.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Head
I'm one oh those guys that doesn't pull very often or very heavy. I was doing some math on fuel costs diesel vs gas, and it would take about 45 years for me to recoup the cost of the PS upgrade in fuel cost savings.

I don't see my use of a truck changing in the near future, but you never know.

I'm in a similar boat. I can tow heavy at times (14k) but I just don't put the miles on. When I did my calculations on fuel alone it would've taken 15 years to "break even" with a similarly equipped diesel truck. I wouldn't hold in to a pickup truck that long anyways.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
The few that I have talked to with a 6.7 running about the same load are running 9 to 11, I'm grossing around 24K. Some of the group we are going to Mexico with have 6.7 that they have had for over a year so I will ask them what they are getting real world face to face. Some don't really care or just guess because it's just a fact of life when you are on the road, you stop insert credit card and keep going down the road or set are home and think about all the places you could be seeing.

Denny
Back in the US and reliable Internet again. I talked with a couple of people we travel with that have 6.7 pulling the same size trailer we have and they say they are getting 9 to 11 mpg, the way they talked 11 wasn't a real common figure, they also hate the DEF.

Denny

Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 AM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Back in the US and reliable Internet again. I talked with a couple of people we travel with that have 6.7 pulling the same size trailer we have and they say they are getting 9 to 11 mpg, the way they talked 11 wasn't a real common figure, they also hate the DEF.

Denny
Welcome back! Yeah, I have a pal that bought his 2012 in Dec of '12, model year end just like mine. his is the 6.7, and now he is having a bit of buyer's remorse when it comes to maintenance I think. He was making some comments the other day about what a PITA it is about the filters, DEF, and so on. Then we talked mileage. I am over 13 around town, 12 pulling my center console boat, and 9-10 towing the camper. Keep in mind I put my toe in it , so that's not babied mileage by any means. he said his mileage is very similar, except for on the highway at 60 mph or less, where he can get nearly 20mpg. But lets be honest- who does 60 on the highway? Not me.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by GSSF17
But lets be honest- who does 60 on the highway?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Originally Posted by unyalli

Ok, so you go 60 on the highway. All you northerners go 60 in a 70 mph zone down here!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:30 PM
The_Head
Freshman User
He's in the minority. Imo, most people in Wyoming speed, there are long stretches of nothing between towns in most of the state.

I wouldn't mind turning the speed back a notch to get that sort of mileage though. Tailgaters suck though.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Sounds like a Colofornicated Colorado plate with a triple axle toy hauler with a huge boat behind doing 80 mph belching black smoke from the grossly miss tuned oil burner.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Originally Posted by unyalli
Sounds like a Colofornicated Colorado plate with a triple axle toy hauler with a huge boat behind doing 80 mph belching black smoke from the grossly miss tuned oil burner.
You talking to me? Nope. 6.2 gasser with cruise set at 72. No toy hauler here, that's for dang sure.

Just trying to chime in on a thread and have a little fun. Fun. Yes, that. I heard it can be had even at 60.

Happy motoring.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
So there is a Border war and Co has the boot.

This year....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2!