6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is just a theory and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Having towed with a truck with VCT and without and I feel that the more you load a VCT motor the more efficient it becomes. I have regularly seen higher mpg with 6000lbs behind me then empty.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:54 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nojoke327
This is just a theory and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Having towed with a truck with VCT and without and I feel that the more you load a VCT motor the more efficient it becomes. I have regularly seen higher mpg with 6000lbs behind me then empty.
I go from 16 - 17 down to 9 to 10 when I go from alone to towing.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
I go from 16 - 17 down to 9 to 10 when I go from alone to towing.
Not me. Im usually around 10 and regularly see 11-11.5 towing. It makes absolutely so sense and I've done the math many times but I'm not going to argue with it

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
I recently had a really good opportunity to trade up to the 6.7L diesel in Lariat trim. There will be no looking back. Nuff Said.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Sweet. Good luck with the truck

Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride. I'm sure you will love it too

Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
I recently had a really good opportunity to trade up to the 6.7L diesel in Lariat trim. There will be no looking back. Nuff Said.
Good for you. (Golf clap)

Back to the topic at hand- I don't pull but about 3 times a year. When I do, It is less than 8k and less than 600 miles round trip. It boils down to what your needs dictate and what you are willing to spend. I have had diesels. Several, actually from the big 3. They were awesome at $1.80 / gallon or less. Nowadays thing are much, much different. Choked down with emissions constraints, DEF, super sensitive to fuel impurities, and other nightmares. Down here in FL, I can ****** anything baldheaded I hook to- period. With 87 oct at $3.20. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another point that hasn't really made it into this thread is some people, myself included, want to have all their toys run on the same fuel. I spend a lot of time dry camping and traveling in the Southwest Deserts of this country and if I find myself a bit too far from a gas station I can use one of the gas cans on the Jeep to fill the truck. My buddy with the 2012 diesel has to dedicate one of the cans on his Jeep to diesel fuel, and he also carries a gallon of diesel fluid in the back seat.

That said, if all I did was haul heavy loads on the interstate day in and day out, my needs would be different and so would my truck's engine. No hate for the diesel here, it's just a different tool for a different job.

-Joe

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Amelio
Senior User
I was wondering how long it would be before a diesel guy chimed in.

No need for a pissing contest on which is better, that was not my intention for the thread. I personally think the 6.7 is bad ***! I have had a diesel (10 years ago) and loved it!

Both engines have their place and both have positives and negatives. I like most of the gasser owners don't tow very heavy and don't tow that often. I feel for my purposes the diesel option is a gross waste of money! Would I own one.... He'll yeah if I had Fu*k you money to throw away or I really needed a diesel.

Either way I think both engine options have their place and both are great options. Buy what you need or what you want.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Why does everyone here say "If I towed 10k+ a few times a week I'd buy a diesel".? During the spring & summer I can be haiuling that sort is weight daily and my V10 does fine. Granted it is only a max trip of 25 miles and regularly 5-10 miles. I think it would be based more on miles driven per year with weight vs just weight hauled. Someone using a truck 50,000 miles per year hauling can get a benefit from fuel savings. Someone putting 3-5,000 miles won't see that return on investment.

But I agree. The horror stories I've tread on here kept me from the 6.0/6.4. Yes most people only post problems vs good things. I just don't have a desire to have all the maintenance needs just to have the ability to move a load faster or easier, if that's even the case. For me I care more about arriving to the job site vs racing the vehicle next to me to prove I can move faster with a trailer. Especially when a job may be 2-4 miles away with stop lights, signs, and traffic. The extra 8 grand just does nothing in that realm.

But the diesels do out number gassers.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I worked around a diesel equipment and trucks for a number of years. Today I purchased two 5 gallon Diesel cans. (long story in which I almost forgot to order heating oil.) While filling them up, I stood there being reminded of the smell of the diesel as well as if you got it on you, it was not a pleasant thing.

However, my wife and I were talking possibly a 5'er down the road. I told her that the 6.2 should not be a problem but a Diesel Dually would be the way to go. She said maybe down the road.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
I worked around a diesel equipment and trucks for a number of years. Today I purchased two 5 gallon Diesel cans. (long story in which I almost forgot to order heating oil.) While filling them up, I stood there being reminded of the smell of the diesel as well as if you got it on you, it was not a pleasant thing.

However, my wife and I were talking possibly a 5'er down the road. I told her that the 6.2 should not be a problem but a Diesel Dually would be the way to go. She said maybe down the road.
I had a similar experience . I got 7 - 20 litre (5 gal) cans of diesel for my forklift it cost over $200 bucks @1.46 c per litre I can still smell it on my gloves, after using diesel in my 7.3 for many years I now find that the smell is revolting. I am not missing my diesel one bit. I changed the oil the other day and it cost $20.00 I can save on an average $20 to $25.00 per fill up & I love not having to pay interest on the $10,000 I saved, plus it's a riot to drive & I don't having to worry about things like getting water in fuel and having to take it to the dealers very few months. I am lovin this 6.2 more every day!!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
The funny thing about the diesel's in my area, is of the 20+ dealers in the area they can never keep the 6.2L's on the lot,, they sell fast and more often..Diesel's were a value when the cost of fuel was much lower than 87 and the upcharge wasn't as high but now its much higher and the maintenance cost is expensive and for what FORD charges for this engine, unless your retired hauling a 5th wheel or pulling a backloader all the time, I cant see the value. $10k savings puts a lot gas in the 6.2L. Don't get me wrong..Diesels today are much quieter and are beasts but unless you use that TQ every day its hard to justify the expense.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 AM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
The funny thing about the diesel's in my area, is of the 20+ dealers in the area they can never keep the 6.2L's on the lot,, they sell fast and more often..Diesel's were a value when the cost of fuel was much lower than 87 and the upcharge wasn't as high but now its much higher and the maintenance cost is expensive and for what FORD charges for this engine, unless your retired hauling a 5th wheel or pulling a backloader all the time, I cant see the value. $10k savings puts a lot gas in the 6.2L. Don't get me wrong..Diesels today are much quieter and are beasts but unless you use that TQ every day its hard to justify the expense.
I'm retired and pull 5th wheel that we live in most of the year and the savings over the diesel both the up charge and fuel gives us money we can spend on our travels. Had a guy come up to me yesterday and ask me how I was getting along with DEF in my truck, he was shocked when I told him it was gas. I opened the hood and showed him the spark plugs then told him what our trailer weighs he had nothing else to say.

Denny

Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice! And you should've also pulled up the map of the route you took to get there. You sure as heck didn't baby that thing by sticking strictly to the flatlands!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2!