Sponsored by: Moser

Hauling wood pellets:

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM
shatfieldj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hauling wood pellets:

Hi all. I'll try to make this short. I have been hauling wood pellets by the ton for several years now with various 1/2 ton pickups. Never had a problem and didn't even think about it. Last week I went to h d and bought a ton. The guy came out with the load and looked at the truck, looked at me, then looked at the truck again. He asked if I ever had a ton on the truck before. (First time I was ever asked that). I said no it's new, but I did have a 04 150 screw that I loaded up. He loaded it. It seemed to sag a little more than my previous truck. I drove home, approx 4 miles without any problems. Then I got to thinking about the look he gave me and the fact that the truck sat lower when loaded. I went online and found people talking about having broken springs, blown tires, etc after hauling pallets with Half ton pickups. Anyone here haul pallets with their 150s? Any problems? I don't want to screw up a new truck. The ford site said my configuration had a payload of 1888 pounds. The door sticker says 1700 pounds. Am ok just going 4 miles with it? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hi Steve,

The problem isn't so much the max payload of the truck but the axle ratings. Looking at the spec sheet your empty rear axle weight should be right around 2,300 lbs. The rear wheels themselves are only rated for 2,025 lbs each, which means that you are over your rated capacity of the wheels with a ton of pellets in the bed. Your RAWR on your sticker is probably 3,850, so you would be a good ~500 lbs over your springs rated capacity.

That being said I've run overloaded without incident, and I wouldn't think twice about hauling a ton of pellets for only four miles. My dad's 2010 F150 has done exactly that a couple of times without incident. To minimize the weight on the rear axle I would make the haul with 1/4 tank of gas and place as many bags as possible on the floor of the front seat and the back of the cab. This will place weight on the front axle and keep the overweight-ness to a minimum on the rear axle.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I've had over a ton in my truck and I wouldn't think twice about going 4-5 miles with such a load.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 AM
shatfieldj
Freshman User
Thanks Tom and Tim. Just looking for a little reassurance. The info helped.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
soos76
Freshman User
I have carried a ton of pellets in my '11 F150 SuperCab 15 miles one way with half that on the hiway. I max out my tire pressure at 44# when I do this. Never had an issue.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
nailed_nailer
5th Wheeling
I heat the house with pellets.
I load a ton in the bed 4x a year for 50+ miles.
Never a problem.

Am I overloaded (Yup)
Could Something break (Yup)
Do I care.....(Nope)
I like my heat.

Its a truck...work it.
"Ford Owns Work" right?

---Nailer---

Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 PM
irydhd
Freshman User
have been hauling a ton at a time for the last few years. About 20 mile round trip. have 2011 screw. no problems at all.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM
jntibs
Junior User
I'm with these other guys. I haul 1 ton pallets on my 2011 Screw, sure it sags a little, but not enough to be worried about, unless your route is a pothole maze. I go 10 miles loaded with mine and it handles it better than my old 04 did.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did the pellet run over the weekend, and I had the snot nose punk refuse to load the truck till I got LT tires? So I had to load them buy hand boy was I pissed off! I will never buy them from OSH again! it did good and the kid could of had a good thought with the LT tires but the truck did good!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
I just did the pellet run over the weekend, and I had the snot nose punk refuse to load the truck till I got LT tires? So I had to load them buy hand boy was I pissed off! I will never buy them from OSH again! it did good and the kid could of had a good thought with the LT tires but the truck did good!
I feel your pain but maybe its about the liability and the "What if..." factor

Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
That's getting pretty deep in the weeds. You expect an RV dealer to be responsible enough to check your rig and ensure it can handle the load you wish to purchase but picking up a load and driving a short distance?

My sister just had HD drop off 5 tons of pellets at her house, she'll be good for this winter and most of next.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Never a problem with that kind of load in my truck nor have I ever had a clerk look at me or my truck twice before loading. I even had a ton plus in Wendy's truck, it sagged a bit but I just drove home a little slower. Chris

Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't think so, they were wrong plain and simple. The factory tires are rated for 2,644 lbs per tire at max PSI. Which means that your tires can handle a whopping 5,288 lbs on the rear axle if properly inflated. Which means they can handle far more than the max payload of the truck and easily handle a ton of pellets.

Of course you'd be over GAWR, but the tires were not the limiting factor here.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D8chumley
I feel your pain but maybe its about the liability and the "What if..." factor
yes he was just doing his job but after loading a ton in the bed of my truck I was a little worn out and grouchy
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't think so, they were wrong plain and simple. The factory tires are rated for 2,644 lbs per tire at max PSI. Which means that your tires can handle a whopping 5,288 lbs on the rear axle if properly inflated. Which means they can handle far more than the max payload of the truck and easily handle a ton of pellets.

Of course you'd be over GAWR, but the tires were not the limiting factor here.
oh I know my tires was not the weak link, but to have a 16 year old kid tell you something like that, then have to do the work your self when there's a good fork lift setting right there just pushed all my buttons

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
On Holiday
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I load the pellets in a trailer as I would be overloaded in the bed.

Quick Reply: Hauling wood pellets: