6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Very high EOT with new Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just went to fordparts.com and the front engine cover that includes a oil pump with the front cover through autonation white bear lake ford is 440 bucks, the water pump is 170 and the oil filter base is 174. The problem in my mind of just going with the BPD oil cooler is if there is a problem with the front cover it will eventually fail and you will end up replacing it anyway. I think you would be money ahead to do the waterpump, front cover and filter base and I cant imagine that wont fix the problem as there will be nothing left to replace. I would also do one at a time and find out where the problem lies, you may get lucky and hit it on the first try.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
I would be on board with the OEM filter base and new OEM OC before even thinking about the BPD setup. I know you are frustrated but there are only a couple parts that can be causing the problems. After its all fixed with the OEM parts, it will work great.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
There was a guy on here that had the same issue and he blew through a ton of money trying to figure out the same problem when all along it was the filter base where the by-pass valves reside. If this were my truck, I would replace the filter base and possibly the water pump. I just pulled up the bullet proof diesel external cooler and they want 1800 bucks, there is no way I would shell out that kind of cash unless it was my only option. I would have to say if your ECT is maintaining normal temps the front cover is likely fine.
Yes I read that thread from top to bottom (more than once ;-)). I can rule out the bypass valve on my truck because I replaced the spring with a stud, effectively forcing the valve closed. Since the valve cannot open and dump the oil past the cooler, the oil must go through the cooler.

At the moment I'm out of time, out of money, and running very VERY low on patience...I have to address the temperature of the oil with a solution that I know will cool the oil. Therefore, any solution that is not 100% sure to address the oil temp is not an option at the moment.

One last consideration is this is a tow vehicle so additional oil cooling is desired.

Last edited by Splash67; 05-28-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: add tow sentence
Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jswartz84
I would be on board with the OEM filter base and new OEM OC before even thinking about the BPD setup. I know you are frustrated but there are only a couple parts that can be causing the problems. After its all fixed with the OEM parts, it will work great.
I had an OEM cooler in the system originally...I don't think there is an issue with the filter base since I ruled that out when I plugged the bypass and still had the same oil temp scenario.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Ultimately, I think you guys are correct that I could solve the problems with a filter base and cover, a new OEM cooler, and a new water pump...but can I be 100% sure one those will correct the issue? What if the EFC has cavitation damage and I have to replace it to get enough flow H2O flow through the oil cooler?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:23 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Splash67
I had an OEM cooler in the system originally...I don't think there is an issue with the filter base since I ruled that out when I plugged the bypass and still had the same oil temp scenario.
And you have swapped the oil and coolant temp sensors to verify they work correctly?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jswartz84
And you have swapped the oil and coolant temp sensors to verify they work correctly?
Yup...and then after a 24 hour downtime saturation they were less than 1° different at startup.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
BTW...all of you FTE guys and gals ARE A GREAT help!!

I try to hand out reps, but too often I seem to be in "reps jail."

Please don't be frustrated with me that I decided to do the BPD before finding another solution that included the factory oil cooler setup. I think that since this is also my tow vehicle, I was ultimately going to need to add the additional cooling capacity anyways.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster

Please don't be frustrated with me that I decided to do the BPD before finding another solution that included the factory oil cooler setup. I think that since this is also my tow vehicle, I was ultimately going to need to add the additional cooling capacity anyways.
No one is frustrated with you, however we understand your frustration and we were just trying to be the voice of reason and help you save some money, but ultimately the decision is yours and you know what your needs are better than we do.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:21 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master

Understandable.

I would just hate to see you spend all that money for the BPD setup and have a problem a month down the road and replace the water pump and EFC.
You could replace the EFC, water pump, OC, and oil filter base for less $$ then the BPD setup.

Not that I'm trying to sway your decision, just a little more to think about.

I pulled my 12k toy hauler this weekend with the OEM OC setup and after a 3 mile pull on a 5% grade, my oil temp never went over 228°. So, I truly believe the cooling systems on these truck perform well(when working correctly).

Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you still have the Sinister oil cooler in there?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
Do you still have the Sinister oil cooler in there?
I begin tear down tomorrow... The new parts will be here tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
So you're going with a new front cover and water pump? I think that's a great decision vs. going the bulletproof route at this point. A correctly functioning cooling system works very well for towing as designed. Since you've done the oil cooler once or twice I think it's time to look elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
So you're going with a new front cover and water pump? I think that's a great decision vs. going the bulletproof route at this point. A correctly functioning cooling system works very well for towing as designed. Since you've done the oil cooler once or twice I think it's time to look elsewhere.
No. I'm going with the BPD solution right now and I will address the EFC or water pump if/when they actually fail. I desperately need to get her on the road this weekend, so I have to make sure that the oil temp is addressed. I know that the BPD solution will address the oil temp, but the other items may not.

I also realize that going this route without actually finding the true root cause of the high oil temp issue, is a little risk but I am willing to take it at this time.

I definitely appreciate the insight and assistance you are willing to offer!

Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
Good luck. ...

Quick Reply: Very high EOT with new Oil Cooler