6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

MY COOLANT PROBLEMS CONTINUE, DAG GUM IT !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure 100% is not leaking some where?

Have you tried add leak trace and checking the lines for the Dieselsite coolant filter?

I was loosing coolant and while I was replacing my down pipe I found a spot where is was leaking.

If it is not leaking the next step is go back stock put DPF back in and see if you are loosing coolant. Well that was my next step

Sorry to hear about your problems..

Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GSchretter
Are you sure 100% is not leaking some where?

Have you tried add leak trace and checking the lines for the Dieselsite coolant filter?

I was loosing coolant and while I was replacing my down pipe I found a spot where is was leaking.

If it is not leaking the next step is go back stock put DPF back in and see if you are loosing coolant. Well that was my next step

Sorry to hear about your problems..
At this point I'm not 100% sure of anything. But I tracked down one egr hose that leaked and the dealer found one at the filter. As best I can tell there are no others. Truth is the more I research the more I become convinced it is either head gasket or head lifting. But before I do anything rash I want to do a bit more investigating.

So you were thinking the tuner is causing excessive pressure? I've thought of that but I run only on "stock" tune. But I have to admit that "stock" with the tuner seems a lot more robust than stock with the DPF on.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
But you checked for contaminated coolant and found none.

Replace the degas bottle with your known good coolant cap.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by senix
But you checked for contaminated coolant and found none.

Replace the degas bottle with your known good coolant cap.
Oh yes I will do that first thing after I get home. In fact I'll order today. I also plan to return the truck to stock and see what it does. I'm not cheap but before I part with 5 or 6 thou I'm gonna exhaust all other possibilities.

As to the test, I'm wondering how long the exhaust gas stays in the coolant. When I tested it had been a few weeks since the last puke event. Should the exhaust gasses still have shown up? I'm thinking I'll retest tomorrow right after I unhook.

After much research on this and several other forums I expect the head gaskets or lifting heads to be the problem. The descriptions by others who had blown head gaskets are right on target the same as mine. Except for the two long streaches of towingI had with no episodes, including crossing several mountain passes and towing up in to Yellowstone. What else I don't get though is why or how the dealers didn't think that was likely and test for it.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by StanleyZ

After much research on this and several other forums I expect the head gaskets or lifting heads to be the problem.
After my Head Gaskets went out the truck would only puke when the boost exceeded 32-34 psi boost towing long enough to slowly push it out the degass, mabey like a 8-10 minute pull in that range. Even then it was a small amount of coolant loss. Anything less then 30psi boost and outside towing it never puked. But i know every time it puked because the inside front fender well was wet. I had to hook a trailer on and take the tech with me to duplicate the issue, without a trailer they said there was no issue.

If that is in fact the case and budget allows make sure you throw some ARP head studs in the repair, cheap insurance to never have that issue again.

The Official ARP Web Site | Kits

you should be able to find them cheaper shoppin around
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221320418715?lpid=82

Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM
bts123
New User
I may have missed this in one of the threads?? I had an issue that turned out to be the coolant lines on the egr cooler (lower drivers side) spewing a bit. Might be worth checking ??

Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bts123
I may have missed this in one of the threads?? I had an issue that turned out to be the coolant lines on the egr cooler (lower drivers side) spewing a bit. Might be worth checking ??
Yeah, I had several things happen more or less at once. The rubber hose on the top rear of the EGR horizontal cooler was leaking. Found that and another leak at my coolant filter (after market). That's all the external leaks I or the Ford tech could find. Fixed both and I'm now thinking my remaining coolant loss is through the degas cap, caused by ??????????.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
UPDATE Drove home from MS today. Coolant was full to the middle of the cold/fill lines when I started. I created a couple hard accellerations and after about 60 miles I stopped to take a look. Yep, puked, not a lot of residue but enough to be sure it had puked. So, instead of topping it off with coolant I released the pressure, cleaned off the residue and dried the degas tank until it was very clean.

I then drove to ATL taking several opportunities to kick it in the azz and get the boost up to the 35 PSI level. Some nice hills east of Birmingham worked nicely. Stopped at a Loves for lunch about 10 miles inside the Ga. line. Maybe 250 miles since cleaning the degas. And guess what, not a speck of residue. No puke at all. Coolant was about even with the return hose at the tee.

So I get home, unhook and go sstraight to the shop to do the gasses in coolant test. Did it twice, negative both times. So, if I said I'm confused it would be an understatement. i went through my records trying to find any logic as to what had changed. I drove this truck 65,000 miles with the coolant in the cold/fill marks without a puke. Guy did my tranny last summer, I replaced the coolant filter after that and the dealer changed the two radiator hoses. That's it. well, except for 3 or 4 coolant caps but I checked all of those with the pressure tester and only one failed. So one of those or something else that I haven't thought up yet changed the actions of the coolant system. Oh well, it beats having a bad HG. Tomorrow I pick up my new and improved degas tank.

BTW, it looks like the proper cold fill level for me is now about 1 inch below the bottom cold/fill line. Go figure.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
When you get the new tank, compare the two and you will see that the fill mark on the new one is lower than on the old one(ours was anyway). That may be the problem. Too much coolant in the truck in the first place. It likes to have it at lower level.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by golfmedik
When you get the new tank, compare the two and you will see that the fill mark on the new one is lower than on the old one(ours was anyway). That may be the problem. Too much coolant in the truck in the first place. It likes to have it at lower level.
It appears so, but why didn't it want it there for the first 65,000 miles? AAARRRAAGGGHHH

Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
I still wonder about your Tstats though......you have every right to be concerned...
Hey Scott, Could it be cavitating??

Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I still wonder about your Tstats though......you have every right to be concerned...
Hey Scott, Could it be cavitating??
Not a cavitation issue imho.

As to why the full line has changed I can only think that the engineers knew that it needed to change in the revised bottle.

But why no ill effect till now? That is a mystery to me as well. Internal pressures over time have increased. Don't think it has to be combustion either.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
It appears so, but why didn't it want it there for the first 65,000 miles? AAARRRAAGGGHHH
Well, what has changed, what has caused the antifreeze expand to the point of it not being able to be contained in the degass bottle.
If I think this out (correctly)the antifreeze is thermally expanding to the point there is no room left in the bottle and it pukes. If you think about it it is quite plausible but why the last few thousand miles. But it was in fact happening before>maybe, just that there were leaks in the system that perhaps vented the system before it vented out the cap.
So you fix all your leaks and now the coolant has no where to go, Hmm, was it always an issue, seems if my memory serves me at one time or another for one reason or another you were always adding a glug of antifreeze here or there. So finally you and your Ford dealer finally created the absolute no leak system and you ran out of room to store the expanded fluid, makes sense thinking about it.
It sure would be nice to know why they came out with a new style degass bottle.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Kind of a guess but have your oil temp been high or higher than normal sometimes.

Maybe small block in the oil coolers and coolant being blocked and gets super heated but breaks through after awhile.

Of course this could also happen in rads when the are blocked so either one.

You are only seeing the temp at one temp sensor and not at a whole (multi places)

Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Well, what has changed, what has caused the antifreeze expand to the point of it not being able to be contained in the degass bottle.
If I think this out (correctly)the antifreeze is thermally expanding to the point there is no room left in the bottle and it pukes. If you think about it it is quite plausible but why the last few thousand miles. But it was in fact happening before>maybe, just that there were leaks in the system that perhaps vented the system before it vented out the cap.
So you fix all your leaks and now the coolant has no where to go, Hmm, was it always an issue, seems if my memory serves me at one time or another for one reason or another you were always adding a glug of antifreeze here or there. So finally you and your Ford dealer finally created the absolute no leak system and you ran out of room to store the expanded fluid, makes sense thinking about it.
It sure would be nice to know why they came out with a new style degass bottle.
Very plausible!

Quick Reply: MY COOLANT PROBLEMS CONTINUE, DAG GUM IT !!!!!