1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used F350 if you knew it was used for plowing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 PM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a used F350 if you knew it was used for plowing?

I found a 2008 XL F350 CC 4x4 with 35k miles on it that I really like. (yes I like the XL package I'm a minimalist). It already has a boss plow mount on it. I won't be doing any plowing, but I am wondering if I should pass due to the extreme wear and tear I have seen/heard about when plowing...

Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
does it have the snow plow prep? If so then it merits a chance.

Snow plow prep has heavier 6K springs up front in addition to a different clutch fan.

Still be sure to have the suspension checked and check underneath for rust and salt that possibly is working things over.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:13 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Depends where it was used, what it plowed, and how well it was maintained. These are work trucks and there is much mythology about plowing wear. (There is a percentage of the Superduty population who can nevertheless destroy a truck, however........)

Run an Oasis report, inspect carefully. Drive it. Check to see if the linkage is tight and if it shifts correctly. Pull the transmission dipstick and smell the fluid. Any weird clunks or noises during shifting and direction changes should be investigated.

Look at the body for body or paintwork. Get it on a lift and inspect the bottom, particularly brake lines, and unprotected areas of the bed, frame, pans, etc.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Meh...I don't think the plow prep package really matters IMHO. Sure it will help the front end carry the weight, but the only consequence I can think of not having it would be beat up front bump stops. And those are cheap.

I can't think of anything plowing will do to a truck that towing won't. It may need balljoints a little earlier, but you really don't see an epidemic of front end problems of plow trucks. The axle and frame are rated for the weight, and it really doesn't take much power at all to move snow around. The engine, transmission, and drivetrain see FAR more stress pulling a few thousand pound trailer than they do pushing snow around.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:23 PM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
I am planning on going to look at it this weekend. I will do the usual inspections I would do on any used vehicle, just didn't know how hard on the truck it was to plow as I have no personal experience. I just know when I helped a buddy one night (I ran the snow blower on the side walks) he did A LOT of very quick forward/back and thought it might be a bit rough on the transmission slamming into the big piles of snow at a fair rate of speed.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PSDlongbox
I just know when I helped a buddy one night (I ran the snow blower on the side walks) he did A LOT of very quick forward/back and thought it might be a bit rough on the transmission slamming into the big piles of snow at a fair rate of speed.
The transmission doesn't care whether you slam into a big pile of snow or simply hit the brakes. Either way the truck goes from a forward speed to a stop quickly; the transmission sees no difference.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Meh...I don't think the plow prep package really matters IMHO. Sure it will help the front end carry the weight, but the only consequence I can think of not having it would be beat up front bump stops. And those are cheap.

I can't think of anything plowing will do to a truck that towing won't. It may need balljoints a little earlier, but you really don't see an epidemic of front end problems of plow trucks. The axle and frame are rated for the weight, and it really doesn't take much power at all to move snow around. The engine, transmission, and drivetrain see FAR more stress pulling a few thousand pound trailer than they do pushing snow around.
Originally Posted by Tom
The transmission doesn't care whether you slam into a big pile of snow or simply hit the brakes. Either way the truck goes from a forward speed to a stop quickly; the transmission sees no difference.
You don't think the impact load stresses things more? Been a while since I saw the plow guys work (one big advantage of living where I do - very little snow), but back when I lived in snow country, there was the easy stuff to just push, and then the big problems when the road plows had dumped a bank at the end of the drive. Moving that bank was a PITA.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PSDlongbox
I found a 2008 XL F350 CC 4x4 with 35k miles on it that I really like. (yes I like the XL package I'm a minimalist). It already has a boss plow mount on it. I won't be doing any plowing, but I am wondering if I should pass due to the extreme wear and tear I have seen/heard about when plowing...
I can't imagine anything being beat too hard with just 35k total on it......unless the plow was down and pushing snow for the entire 35k and even then it would be debatable. I live in snow country and have had several trucks with plows that I have put many,many more miles on than that and my most recent is an 1999 F150 with a 8.5' boss plow that has 166,000 on it and I'm still using it to plow and work with.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
now the big debate on going back to a gasser....

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 90k and have plowed since new. One thing I notice from plowing is if you engage reverse quickly and hit the gas right away it skills and shidderis badly. I know several people with 08s that have this same issue. I would try it and see what it does. ford said it is not an issue all 3 times I've brought it to them. They say it doesn't engage to save itself. Other then that I'm on all original front end parts minus the axle seals. There was a silent recall on them and I found out after mine popped out. Check them out and make sure they wee replaced

Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SC_Hoaty
You don't think the impact load stresses things more?
I'm sure the impact load places immense stress on some parts of the truck, but those parts aren't the ones that typically fail. When the plow is down the frame isn't supporting much more weight than the push plates, and hitting a pile of snow isn't going to change that. No doubt the force gets transferred through to the frame, but I think that's about it. The engine, transmission, drivetrain, and suspension simply slow down with the rest of the truck.

The only frame failures that I've ever heard of were rumors on GM message boards. Has anyone here ever heard of a front frame failure on a plow truck? I'm sure it's happened somewhere somehow, but I think it's far from common.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
[QUOTE=senix;13789809]does it have the snow plow prep? If so then it merits a chance.

Snow plow prep has heavier 6K springs up front in addition to a different clutch fan.

I can attest to the fan clutch. Seems my fan engages often while the truck is not hot.

I would consider it. It does have low miles.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm sure the impact load places immense stress on some parts of the truck, but those parts aren't the ones that typically fail. When the plow is down the frame isn't supporting much more weight than the push plates, and hitting a pile of snow isn't going to change that. No doubt the force gets transferred through to the frame, but I think that's about it. The engine, transmission, drivetrain, and suspension simply slow down with the rest of the truck.

The only frame failures that I've ever heard of were rumors on GM message boards. Has anyone here ever heard of a front frame failure on a plow truck? I'm sure it's happened somewhere somehow, but I think it's far from common.
Agreed that the frame takes the brunt of the abuse.

Wouldn't the impact loading also cause other, smaller, parts to collide or otherwise experience abnormal forces and wear? If it bounces the driver off the seat, why wouldn't gears, splines, or other items in the engine, rear end, transfer case, or transmission also experience the same thing? I'm thinking of things that were not designed to take high forces in the direction of travel, that end up seeing those forces in impact situations.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:02 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First - I would be curious why the truck is for sale - only 35,000 miles the truck is just getting broken in.

Second - the stress damage that I would look for is underneath - the frame. I have no doubt that truck is built Ford strong but careless snowplowing can have the plow hit something hidden in the snow with great force and not always at a very low speed. Usually it's a curb in a parking area - but could be anything and when struck at anywhere between 10 and 25 mpg it can do some damage to the undercarriage of the truck. Newer snow plows have all types of safety mechanoisims built into them to try and avoid any vehicle damage but there are no guarantees. This type damage is not usually covered by warranty or insurance and often repaired by shops that do not report the damage to any data collection service such as carfax.

Check it out - make your own decision and then be happy with whatever you decide based upon your inspection of the vehicle.

Keep us posted what you decide to do.

my computer - my opinion

Old 11-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by djm1204
plow hit something hidden in the snow with great force and not always at a very low speed. Usually it's a curb in a parking area - but could be anything and when struck at anywhere between 10 and 25 mpg it can do some damage to the undercarriage of the truck. Newer snow plows have all types of safety mechanoisims built into them to try and avoid any vehicle damage but there are no guarantees.
word!

I'd be very hesitant to buy that truck. Learned my lesson several times with similar situations. Most people (myself as well a few times) dump vehicles once they get to be problems. That truck could be a simple "boredom" or no longer needed case, but it's also just as likely got some damage and owner doesn't want to deal with it.

best of luck, inspect her good

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used F350 if you knew it was used for plowing?