6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

blown head gaskets 2nd time around

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 AM
broncoformudv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blown head gaskets 2nd time around

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I have a 2004 Excursion that has 115,000 miles on it with leaking head gaskets and or cracked heads(no heat, producing over 16 psi cooling system pressure, using coolant)(no obvious coolant going out the exhaust but there is exhaust gas in the coolant). I replaced the head gaskets and installed ARP studs 3 years ago but for the life of me I can't recall if I used OEM gaskets or Black Onyx...

When I had my heads off last time there were several small cracks between the glow plug threads and valves on a couple of cylinders on each head. My machinist assured me this would not be an issue as they did not go into a coolant passage so I put them back on my truck.

My question for you guys is should I replace the heads this time around or just do gaskets?

If I replace the heads are any of the aftermarket heads quality units or should I just go with the OEM remanned units? I like the idea of increased material in areas of the heads that typically crack but that could just be a sales gimmick.

I will be using OEM gaskets this time around!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 11-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You want to stay out of the Chinese aftermarket crap so
getting heads from Ford, International or a known trusty worthy
dealer is about the best step.

You need to park it nose down. Let it sit over night and pull the EGR
valve and look for moisture/coolant in the passage.
On the pressure test there is a way to read that test to tell if it's EGR vs head gasket.

If it turns out to be heads then you should have it checked for flatness and
a pressure test to see if the are any cracks.

You might want to talk to the people at BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and 6.4
about the heads.

Personally I would not take any cracks regardless of where they are.

You may want to check back in after the turkey comas are recovering
later in the day/evening.

Sean

Old 11-28-2013, 04:24 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Oem gaskets and ARP studs installed properly can take serious abuse. As for the cracks in the head from glow plug to valve my 350 had the same. About 80k miles of nasty mason love on the motor all is good. Put oem gaskets back in and have the heads fluxed to be sure. I'd bet you have bad gaskets and not oem.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:32 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The microcracks in and around the valve seats of the heads are really of no consequence, in fact I believe there is a Ford service bulletin on it. It's hard to know about heads until you take them to the machine shop and have them professionally checked. Flatness and thickness are the two things you have to seriously consider. It might be worth having hardened seats, new guides, and seals put in. As Brickie said, OEM gaskets FTW.....

Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
broncoformudv
Senior User
Did the egr delete last time around but checked it just in case and it's not leaking.

Had the heads surfaced last time around so doubt they can take any more material without running into clearance issues.

Anyone know who sells the Chinese heads that need to be avoided? Or what name they go by?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Uh oh.

I haven't heard much good stuff from resurfacing heads. How much did they take off? Were they flycut smooth or rough tooling paths?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM
broncoformudv
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Uh oh.

I haven't heard much good stuff from resurfacing heads. How much did they take off? Were they flycut smooth or rough tooling paths?
Kinda like the black onyx head gaskets, I didnt hear about the surfacing issues till after it was done and I was back on the road. Can't recall how they surfaced them or how much was removed. I know very little was removed, the machine shop said they were just out of tolerance.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I'm not sure how bad it is, how much taken off is to much, and stuff just the mention of it here and there. I would imagine if done right it shouldn't be an issue.

If you do have the black onyx gaskets shouldn't you be able to see it in the corners where the headgasket is exposed? Or is the black onyx "like OEM" with just sealant strips around ports and cylinders?

Old 11-28-2013, 02:41 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From what I've read it seems like .005 is the limit for decking the head.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
What funny about that is with one end of the head in a vise (held stationary) if you put about 10-15 pounds of force on the other end it can flex that much.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:09 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
I know its NOT a Good time of year for this BUT If you have the Funds get some new Heads and OEM Gaskets from Ford

The ARP are reusable so your good there

AutoNation/Old Tousley had Fulley Loaded Heads for $950.00 each

That would take all the worrey about the Cracks you had and How Much the Shop cut off the heads last time

Old 11-28-2013, 03:12 PM
broncoformudv
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
I know its NOT a Good time of year for this BUT If you have the Funds get some new Heads and OEM Gaskets from Ford

The ARP are reusable so your good there

AutoNation/Old Tousley had Fulley Loaded Heads for $950.00 each

That would take all the worrey about the Cracks you had and How Much the Shop cut off the heads last time
Yep that's the route I think I am going to go. Mainly just wanted to see if there were any other head options out there that are reliable. I have been putting this project off long enough. Pulling the heads is a pain

Old 11-28-2013, 03:42 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Did your Headgasskets come with a KIT Last time???

If it was AfterMarket Kit then High chance they are the Black Onycs POS

Old 11-28-2013, 05:02 PM
broncoformudv
Senior User
No kit last time. I shopped around for the best prices and shipping on everything so stuff came from a few different vendors. At this point it doesn't mater since they have to be replaced.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Oh sure I am with Ya

just most kits come with the BO Gaskets

Quick Reply: blown head gaskets 2nd time around