Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Senior User

deputydog03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What could have caused this?

I replaced the crank shaft in my 1999 F150, 5.4 because of a spun bearing.
The full story is on my other posts here and in the 97 forum.
After torqueing everything down the engine turned very hard. I pulled the oil pan off to see what was going on. I loosened each rod cap a little to see which one was sticking. The second rod back from the front of the engine was binding up somehow. As soon as I loosened it the engine freed up, so I pulled the cap off. Here are pictures of what I found. The bearing on the side is showing uneven rubbing. I checked carefully and found no dirt or debris under the rod cap that could have caused it to bind. Plastiguage showed .002 clearance, within tolerance according to the book.
I am wondering if I have a bent connecting rod? Maybe bent causing it to ride at an angle on the crank?
It is over a 120 mile drive to the nearest machine shop, so I won't be able to get anything checked for at least a week.
I am going to pull the head on that side and pull that piston out to see what it looks like.
Any other ideas of what is going on here? The rods that were chewed up were on both rods just behind this set. The bearings had not completely spun out, I got things shut down on time but they were chewed up pretty bad.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Senior User

Forgot to add the pictures!

Old 11-28-2013, 05:12 AM
Senior User

ashleyroachclip is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it were me, I would use a set of calipers to check that journal for round.
If I understand you right, this is not the cylinder that was the victim of your original damage.

Did you determine what caused the original issue, low on oil , over revving ?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Senior User

Damaged was caused by low oil volume. The timing chain guide broke, timing chain rubbed the chain cover causing the oil pickup screen to clog with metal filings. It was still pumping oil, but not enough when I was pulling weight working it hard.
The journal checks out good. It is a rebuilt crank, and checks out good. Not out of round or tapered. The bearings pictured are brand new. I put them in and turned the engine a dozen or so times. The wear marks on the bearings are from turning it.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Senior User

Problem solved.
2 of the rod caps got switched around. Long story! It looks like it will work now.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)