1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ethonal petition

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
ethonal petition

I got this in my junk mail and I did submit the letter to the EPA. Did any of you get the same email? Here it is:

With record low temperatures sweeping across the U.S., the last thing you want is to spend time outside dealing with car trouble -- but that's what could happen if you use gasoline with high ethanol content.

Gasoline mixed with high amounts of ethanol exhibits poor cold-starting performance -- meaning that as temperatures drop, ethanol blended fuel could cause you some early morning headaches.

Thankfully, the EPA is beginning to recognize the problems caused by gasoline blended with ethanol and has proposed to lower the amount of ethanol required to be blended into our fuel supply this year. Will you take a moment and let the EPA know you support their decision?

Cold weather is just one area where ethanol just doesn't perform. It also lowers your fuel economy -- taking money out of your pocket by requiring you to fill your tank more often. Not to mention, it causes residue buildup in engines raising the chances for costly repairs and voided warranties.

Click here to tell the EPA you've had enough of ethanol mandates, and you don't want to worry about your car not starting in the dead of winter.

Thanks,
The Smarter Fuel Future Team

© Smarter Fuel Future smarterfuelfuture.org
PO Box 28161
Washington, D.C. 20038-8161

Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I tend to shy away from lobbyist who portray themselves as some kind of scientific organizations. This is a lobbying organization for the chicken industry.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
OTOH it's hard to argue that we should shovel bucketloads of money into ADM's pockets, raising the price of food and doing little to help the gas supply. Pure politics...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
All I will say is , There are Many issues with Ethanol in fuel systems and engine types . My wife's Mounty Flex fuel does better with E10 . My 78 , fresh rebuild , does not mind it . My Fergy won't run on it . My 75 CB 550 hates it . I have not put it in my 53 .I have seen Many 2 strokes killed by it . Many aspects to this debate . Just saying...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, getting rid of the ethanol is going to cost US a lot more money. Legislation going back to the Bush administration gives refiners a 45¢ a gallon tax credit. I can get non ethanol gas here, but it cost at least 45¢ a gallon more.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Petitioning the EPA is meaningless. This is a legislative issue as federal mandates are in force.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I actually did a research project on ethanol fuels this year for college. Ethanol has its advantages and dis advantages. High corrosion, low fuel economy. It does lower some emissions when compared to pure gas though. Theres other stuff too but if i go any more i might end up writing out my whole research paper again haha.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Petitioning the EPA is meaningless. This is a legislative issue as federal mandates are in force.
The way the current administration is running things, mandates don't mean anything. The executive branch has done so many things on its own when it needed Congressional legislation. Plus the EPA has said it will proceed with shutting down the coal industry even if Congress does not pass the needed legislation.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by abe
Plus the EPA has said it will proceed with shutting down the coal industry even if Congress does not pass the needed legislation.
That's a good talking point, but can anyone actually substantiate that claim?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Try this link to the Washington Times from October 2013:
In EPA's grip, coal industry is headed to Washington - Washington Times

And to keep this on Ford trucks so I don't get flagged... did you ever see an old Ford coal truck? Check out this one:

here is the link: http://www.thedailyjournal.com/artic...truck-restored

Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Abe, even that article said no such thing.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
That's a good talking point, but can anyone actually substantiate that claim?
About 7,000 coal miners who have been laid off here in this region in the last year can certainly substantiate that claim.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Doc
About 7,000 coal miners who have been laid off here in this region in the last year can certainly substantiate that claim.
I do understand that the coal industry is under heavier regulation, but I question anybody to show a direct quote from the EPA that "it will proceed with shutting down the coal industry even if Congress does not pass the needed legislation."
The truth is that congress passed the legislation in 1990.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a link to that 1990 congressional act.
Obama said publicly , as on national tv, that he would make electricity sky rocket at the expense of coal , in 2008 .

It takes on average twice as much e 85 to produce the same btu's as clear fuel.
And that sir is easily accessible information .

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ashleyroachclip
Do you have a link to that 1990 congressional act.
Obama said publicly , as on national tv, that he would make electricity sky rocket at the expense of coal , in 2008 .

It takes on average twice as much e 85 to produce the same btu's as clear fuel.
And that sir is easily accessible information .
Bill Text - 101st Congress (1989-1990) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

And to be precise, what he said was ""Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket," Obama told the Chronicle . "Coal-powered plants, you know, natural gas, you name it, whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers." So he did not single out coal. Of course Cap and trade was never passed, so that makes his comment kinda moot here.

As far as the E85 comment, I agree with you, but that is a whole separate issue from the clean air act. That was created by the Energy policy act of 2005
Bill Text - 109th Congress (2005-2006) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Quick Reply: ethonal petition