Sponsored by:

Brakes, yet again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:37 PM
X4The6-Pack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes, yet again...

It was time to replace the brakes on my 2000 V-10 XLT. Since I'm in the car business, I checked out what deals I could get all over town. Thanks to a free inspection at a local Midas, (long and slightly confusing story) I knew the rear pads were getting thin and the fronts were OK for the time being. Fluid needed to be flushed badly too. I also checked Rockauto.com and a few other sites. JC Whitney etc. I don't do a lot of heavy towing, so heavy duty brakes are not an issue. I finally settled on Bendix solid iron rotors front and rear, and Bendix TitaniuMetallic II semi-metallic pads, fro t and rear. Two large motivators in the decision, Bendix is a brand I trust, price was right, and free shipping. Only downside was that the front rotors and rear pads were on backorder. However, both shipped out before the date estimated by Summit. Installed them this weekend and about 50 miles or so in, I'm very pleased. Once they have a few hundred miles I'll report again, but so far, so good. Oh, also flushed the system. No idea when it was done last, but it was definitely needed. Pedal response is much better. May do another quick flush in a few weeks, just to be sure all the junk is out. Just wanted to give the fellow Ex owners that don't do a lot of heavy towing a good option for what I'd say thus far, are quality brakes.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 AM
GermanMike
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for that info. Let us know how this setup is doing after some months.
IMO it seems that brake setups are a very personal and subjective thing on our rigs similar to wine, beer and whiskey.
There are known and proofed setups, but every driver prefer his own one, depending on towing or driving.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
My brakes have started to go downhill lately despite being all new. I went with the green hawk pads and I forget which rotors in the front and duralast HD pads on the rear with some cheap ebay drilled/slotted rotors. Think I need to flush mine too, how much fluid did it take you?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 PM
GermanMike
Senior User
I did need about 2 quarts. But it was the first time that I did it, so im not sure
if this is a good reference.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
How did you do it? All 4 at once gravity bleed, 2 person 1 at a time, 1 person with a kit?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM
X4The6-Pack
Junior User
I used at least a quart, but bought two just in case. I was a bit pressed for time toward the end of the day, so that's why I'm thinking of doing mine again in a couple weeks.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
GermanMike
Senior User
I was sitting in the cab and pump the pedal on demand, while my buddy
was working on the brakes and fills the DOT4 stuff up.
Maybe someone chime in and tell me how to do the job more effectivly.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM
X4The6-Pack
Junior User
Forgot to include, I also did a power flush. Had one of my daughters with me and she was more than willing to help, but this was faster and easier.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My rotors have 170k miles on them and when I hear a faint metal to metal sound I go to the the nearest auto parts store (O'reillys), get their cheapest pads, and just install them on that one wheel. My brakes work GREAT all the time. I do tow 1,000 pounds in the winter.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
X4The6-Pack
Junior User
As I am the third owner of this vehicle, I knew the rotors had been machined previously. One reason I wanted to start with new. Also, forgot to mention in the original post, after a while on a long trip, I could feel some vibration from the rear rotors. Maybe it's me and my CDO, but I'm a happy guy with what I have now and can be 100% certain the family is safe in her.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
GermanMike
Senior User
. May I ask you what a CDO is?

@brent
You wont believe what dimpled/slotted rotors with ceramic/kevlar pads and teflon stainless braided lines do to your breaking abilities. Its not only another leaque, it isnt even the same sport anymore.......

Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM
X4The6-Pack
Junior User
Originally Posted by GermanMike

@brent
You wont believe what dimpled/slotted rotors with ceramic/kevlar pads and teflon stainless braided lines do to your breaking abilities. Its not only another leaque, it isnt even the same sport anymore.......
OCD, just spelled "correctly". I have certain quirks when it comes to my vehicles, especially maintaining and brake work like this. When I want it done a certain way, I do it myself or know someone that will help me do it the way I want it done. The good and bad thing about that, is I know who to get mad at, the bad thing is, it's me...

Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Originally Posted by EXv10
My rotors have 170k miles on them and when I hear a faint metal to metal sound I go to the the nearest auto parts store (O'reillys), get their cheapest pads, and just install them on that one wheel. My brakes work GREAT all the time. I do tow 1,000 pounds in the winter.
This gave me a good chuckle, I read it it and thought, "now that figures".

Old 11-27-2013, 05:29 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GermanMike

@brent
OCD obsessive compulsive disorder. People that fret over things most people don't care about and sometimes to the point of being annoying; like my old girlfriend. Notice I said OLD girlfriend.

Also;
But my truck stops fine and I am totally satisfied with it.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
This gave me a good chuckle, I read it it and thought, "now that figures".
Yep, that's me and been doing it for 50 years and always totally happy with my brakes. Never bought or turned a rotor in my life (except on some customer cars).

Quick Reply: Brakes, yet again...