Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

BIG JOBS RULE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG JOBS RULE!

Hey, Thought I would join up with your group and give a shout out to thank everyone for the insight this forum has provided to me in my learning experience in regards to these awesome big trucks! Some would say I have turned into a (junk) collector. I'm sure some of you have been there. A family member looking at what is parked in your garage and asking "what are you doing?" I would say, they just don't understand. Ok, I admit, lots of plans, lots of ambition, but NEVER enough time.

Ok, Here's a little of what I have going. I have a 53 F750, low miles fire truck chassis (first one purchased) stripped, boxed, stored. A "titled" F350 in process of being stretched into a crew cab and placed on an 86 F700 chassis, and yes, it is a 4x4 w/rockwells - factory. I also installed a 20,000 lbs pto driven Braden winch in the front end just because I can! I have a p-pumped cummins w/74,000 mi to stuff in it with all the proper ford med duty truck components for the install to the F700 chassis . Now, things were progressing nicely with that project until, YES, I decided for some reason I would rescue a 56 F750 from going to the salvage yard (sucker!). Thought I would just do a "quick restore" on it, a low budget driver. But I seem to be getting a little bit too picky with it. Making it into an almost period correct wrecker with a Holmes 515 boom.

Anyway, I have had some luck with finding from what I have read, obsolete parts and It is my intension to share this information with this forum to help others the way the information on this site has helped me. Again, Thanks for the information this site shares on these all to often, stripped down to build an F100, classic trucks that are just way too cool to not preserve and DRIVE!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:34 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
Ok, on the '56 I plan to complete my brake system now during the winter months here in PA. Knowing that some of the original parts for the Ford Big Jobs can be scarce, I have been combing the net for over a year now. During the summer, I gave up on trying to utilize the original hydroboost system and opted for an early 70s big truck version making my own mounting bracket. I'm hoping it works on the same principal. I have just completed the teardown of the front and rear axles, installed new king pins in the front and have almost all of the components blasted (can't paint anymore till spring). After getting serious about completing the brakes this winter, I managed to hunt down a "new" master cylinder. Yes, I did say new. Now maybe I'm wrong, but I thought these were hard to come by. After coming up empty many times, I looked up the original Ford number in my parts catalog, did a search and came up with available stock in Georga. I placed a call and they said that yes, indeed had two available. Without hesitation, I bought them both. Much to my surprise, when they arrived they appear not to be NOS, but fresh? Made by Centric Parts, box dated 09/16/2013. Part number 130.79027. They also had new front wheel cylinders available. The casting numbers were different, but they were dimensionally the same as my '56. Now I am on the hunt for the rear wheel cylinders, havn't got a chance to search it yet. It has a ford/bendix brake assembly on a two speed rear. Anybody have any experience with the parts search for the brake system? Anyway, It seems that if you have the right numbers, much of this can still be found. Ok, I searched the centric master cylinder part number that I listed and Amazon currently has 18 available. Whoda thought? And only $77 bucks. And a guy on E bay right now is trying to find some sucker to pay him $200. Go get'em boys! More for ya! The front wheel cylinders: Again, centric parts number 134.82006. ball park price $56 bucks each.

Uploaded Pic of my project. The truck had the nick name" the ox" when I got it, so I'm sticking with it. Search "the ox" I am new to this forum, so if this does not work, someone please tell me so I can fix it! Thanks!

Last edited by 56ford750; 11-27-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: uploaded pics
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
C-700
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
parts

I have some rear brake stuff off of a 54 750 I have converted to air brakes. Send me a pm or email and lets talk

Old 11-29-2013, 03:34 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
rear brakes

Thanks C700! I paid a visit to my local NAPA today. I knew the rear axle was not original to my 750, so I took my wheel cylinders with and we were able to match them up. Looks like what I have is a two speed rear from a 1960 f600? At least that's what matched up. I was able to get four new wheel cylinders for it along with the rear hub seals. I was not able to find the axle tube to hub seal, but from what I am reading here, it is no big deal. Just grease the bearings when installing them and if oil leaks through, it won't hurt anything. Is this correct? Are the brakes different sizes between the f600 and the f750? Am I at a significant disadvantage having a rear from an F600? The truck has 20" Dayton wheels all around.

I suppose I should have tagged on to an existing BIG JOB post, but I didn't want to jump in on someone's conversation. Dang newbee!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:44 PM
C-700
Senior User
brakes

The brakes are probably different size but having the F-600 should make getting parts a lot easier. email me some pics. My 750 also uses 20in daytons.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:13 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
56 FORD 750 - "the ox"

I am new to this stuff, not sure how to add a picture to the tread, so I opened an album. Look up "the ox" The original owner gave the truck that name and it has stuck ever since. I see no need to change it now! The rear brakes (originally from an f600) are smaller than the front. Should be fine for what I'm using it for. I put the rear in the truck. It was in a 53 f750 I have. Opted to put it in the 56 due to the gear ratios and the two speed function. Also, the '56 had a five spoke front axle and a 6 spoke rear axle. The '53 had the opposite. That would drive me crazy not having them uniform! Have any pics of yours posted? I love to look at pics of these old trucks.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM
C-700
Senior User
big job

going to be a really nice truck

Old 11-30-2013, 08:32 AM
56ford750
Freshman User
Thanks. Can't wait to get the chassis done so I can get started on the wrecker bed.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Nice big job. I just did a brake master cylinder on a f600. Have some 22.5 wheels and some 20'' wheels I don't need. I am in Ohio and not too far.
I have to go back and decide if the big job semi I am interested in is going to be mine....wow it is big.....

Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
where is the semi located? There was one in Va. not long ago for sale. If anybody out there wants to save another big job ('56 F800) from a f100 parts robber, there is one for sale in Long Island, NY. It is listed on CL. I negotiated to a ball park figure of $2500. It is a former fire truck with low miles. Three problems for me, garage space, cost to haul it home and the main draw back, no title. Well, it has an "open" F700 title with it. Pa. is much to difficult to get a title re issued and from what I've read, It can cost up $1000 to get one.

Anyway, Finished sandblasting all of the brake components today. Gonna try and paint them if the weather holds out next weekend so I can continue with the brake system over winter.

WANTED!
I am looking for two items. First- I need a good drivers side running board for an f700 - f900. Next- I am on the hunt for a good set of rear fenders from a fire truck body to use on my wrecker. Anybody have one of these stripped down and not being used?

Hey, Do you guys have an album or somewhere with pics of your trucks? I'd love to see them. There are some really neat tucks lingering on this site!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Big jobs do rule! Here are some pics of my last bigjob

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...something.html

Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by 56ford750
where is the semi located? There was one in Va. not long ago for sale. If anybody out there wants to save another big job ('56 F800) from a f100 parts robber, there is one for sale in Long Island, NY. It is listed on CL. I negotiated to a ball park figure of $2500. It is a former fire truck with low miles. Three problems for me, garage space, cost to haul it home and the main draw back, no title. Well, it has an "open" F700 title with it. Pa. is much to difficult to get a title re issued and from what I've read, It can cost up $1000 to get one.

Anyway, Finished sandblasting all of the brake components today. Gonna try and paint them if the weather holds out next weekend so I can continue with the brake system over winter.

WANTED!
I am looking for two items. First- I need a good drivers side running board for an f700 - f900. Next- I am on the hunt for a good set of rear fenders from a fire truck body to use on my wrecker. Anybody have one of these stripped down and not being used?

Hey, Do you guys have an album or somewhere with pics of your trucks? I'd love to see them. There are some really neat tucks lingering on this site!
The semi Walford is talking about is off route 162 west of Medina in Medina County Ohio.

The guys father was killed on a steam fired tractor while driving it to the medina county fair a quite a few years back.

The funny thing is the truck isn't for sale "yet" and I'm "first" in line to buy

Here is a link to the story

http://www.farmcollector.com/steam-e...#axzz2mWG8OOKV

Old 12-04-2013, 05:25 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
Ok! not sure the motive, so I will cover both. The tread you sent me to has photo's of a big job that was dismembered. I have an analogy for ya. It's like a drunk being handed a bottle of fine wine. Or a child in an art museum.

On the other hand, I noticed from your photos that you have a very nice large (F600?) rollback. Looks good. Is the yellow truck pictured what it looked like when you started? Anyway, very nice!

Oh yea. Which F100 is yours (gazing out into a field of hundreds of them). Not to say I don't like them, I do. I just think the large trucks are unique and I personally have never seen one around where I live, at least not on the road. I just like to see these trucks being preserved! Don't get me wrong. If I was building an F100, I would hunt one of these down as well for good sheet metal. EVERYONE in F100 land, send me your unwanted big job parts! If ya don't want them, I'll take em!

And lastly- BIG JOBS DO RULE!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
Another thought. I think I'll find a big back window F100 and take the cab off for Big Job truck and chop the roof 3 inches or so.

Anybody cringing now???????? Just havin' some fun with it

Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 PM
56ford750
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Nice big job. I just did a brake master cylinder on a f600. Have some 22.5 wheels and some 20'' wheels I don't need. I am in Ohio and not too far.
I have to go back and decide if the big job semi I am interested in is going to be mine....wow it is big.....
Thanks for the reply. I'm good with wheels. I did find all of the brake parts now and I managed to sneak in getting them all painted on that 50deg day last week and I have already made good progress on putting it back together. I still need to figure out how I am going to fix / replace my drag link boot. Haven't found a replacement yet. Any suggestions? Sounds like you have some competition for that semi big job. Good luck!

Quick Reply: BIG JOBS RULE!