Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Marketplace > All Other Items for Sale
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

All Other Items for Sale All other items (non Ford Truck related) for sale. Tools for the garage, brake pads for your 66 Mustang and your beer fridge go here.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
New User

mrpd114 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tonneau cover while towing fifth wheel

I have a 2011 F-250 diesel and a 36' fifth wheel. I would like to somehow cover my truck bed as much as possible while towing with a soft cover to protect items in the truck bed. This would require an access hole for the hitch.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Postmaster

El Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to behold
I think your in the wrong spot lol. Maybe a mod will correct this?

Back to the question! Iv seen a truck with a 5er and a Reese Sidewinder hitch. This basically moves the pivot point of the trailer from the hitch to the pin box. Its actually for short bed trucks but I don't see a reason a long bed truck couldn't use it. The truck Iv seen it on had a hard cover and he simply cut out a hole the size of the pin box. Since the trailer now pivots at the top of the pin box and not the hitch, 90% of the bed is still covered by the tonneau cover. I hope this makes sense lol. Maybe I can get a pic.

If you don't want to spend the money on another pin box, then I don't see why you couldn't modify a soft cover to fit the front half of your bed. Of course, if it rains, the water will slosh forward and get the bottom of whatevers in the bed wet. Some ingenuity could possibly fix this? But the same is true for the above mentioned idea as water can get in the hole where the pin box is... Some experimenting ought to yield you the results you want!

-1996 F-250 PSD, XLT, ECLB, 4wd, E4OD, 4.10s, 6637, 3" DP, 4" Exhaust, Tuned, 398,000 mi and counting - The Daily Driver
-2001 F-350 PSD, XLT, ECLB, SRW, 4wd, 4R100, 3.73LS, Straight Pipe, DP Tuner, 140,000 - The "Going Out" Truck
-2003 Salem by Forest River 25RLSS, 5er 25', Super Slide, Reese Sidewinder, 6505lbs
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Postmaster

El Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to beholdEl Camino Man is a splendid one to behold
Here ya go!

Click the image to open in full size.

The camper now pivots at the top of the pin box, so he can have a very small hole in his tonneau

-1996 F-250 PSD, XLT, ECLB, 4wd, E4OD, 4.10s, 6637, 3" DP, 4" Exhaust, Tuned, 398,000 mi and counting - The Daily Driver
-2001 F-350 PSD, XLT, ECLB, SRW, 4wd, 4R100, 3.73LS, Straight Pipe, DP Tuner, 140,000 - The "Going Out" Truck
-2003 Salem by Forest River 25RLSS, 5er 25', Super Slide, Reese Sidewinder, 6505lbs
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
New User

mrpd114 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That looks close to what I was thinking of. Maybe if the open sections could be zippered somehow to tighten the open spaces only limited rain water would enter. Thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Marketplace > All Other Items for Sale