Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Senior User

Uni Moe is starting off with a positive reputation.
1966 pwr steering, disc brake options.

Looking a t a 66 with a 352, 3 on the tree. If I got this truck I'd lower it slightly with drop beams. It would be a good time to go disc brakes and I'd also like to add power steering. Just wondering what my options are for discs and for power steering. ( Not really interested in a whole front ifs swap.)
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Senior User

Roger Carter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any comparable F-series up through '79 will give you all the parts and pieces you need. Makes for a near bolt on conversion.

You might run into difficulties keeping the 3 on the tree, unless your donor truck has a 3 speed also.

Search this site. There are several links dealing with the specifics on the conversion.

Good luck.

Roger Carter
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Posting Guru

ddavidv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Search button is your friend. It won't bite. This has been covered about a million times.

Disc brake swap how-to: Ford
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Carter View Post
Any comparable F-series up through '79 will give you all the parts and pieces you need. Makes for a near bolt on conversion.

You might run into difficulties keeping the 3 on the tree, unless your donor truck has a 3 speed also.

Search this site. There are several links dealing with the specifics on the conversion.

Good luck.

Roger Carter
Roger,
I've found some good threads on the brake conversion.
What is the problem with pwr steering conversion and the 3 on the tree steering column? Do the pwr steering donors differ if auto, standard column or floor shift?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Postmaster

daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Probly more experienced member can better address, swapped manual to P/S on my 65 and intended using a Bendix box; which is same length as the 65 manual box, but then found the Bendix can be problematic. Decided to go with the Ford box, which can be purchased, or salvage in number of difference sources. Problem is the Ford P/S box if longer thus need to either shorten or swap steering columns. On my 65, with 3 on column, found a later model steering column which is shorter, since the dash bracket is tack welded looking at swapping the dash bracket for the later model and thus not need to use spacer, which seems would be abit cleaner??? Suggest wait for other members to chime-in, a number have made the switch. As a suggestion only, if decide to go with the Ford box and later model column, and considering auto trans, this may be the time to do it???

Dave
65F100, 302ci, T18, swb, flareside,front disc. PS, Duraspark Ign.(Daily Driver)
65F100, 390ci, 3sp.OD, lwb, styleside, front disc., Duraspark Ign.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveengelson View Post
Probly more experienced member can better address, swapped manual to P/S on my 65 and intended using a Bendix box; which is same length as the 65 manual box, but then found the Bendix can be problematic. Decided to go with the Ford box, which can be purchased, or salvage in number of difference sources. Problem is the Ford P/S box if longer thus need to either shorten or swap steering columns. On my 65, with 3 on column, found a later model steering column which is shorter, since the dash bracket is tack welded looking at swapping the dash bracket for the later model and thus not need to use spacer, which seems would be abit cleaner??? Suggest wait for other members to chime-in, a number have made the switch. As a suggestion only, if decide to go with the Ford box and later model column, and considering auto trans, this may be the time to do it???
I like a standard and it would be nice to keep the look of the original column, wheel, etc.

Last edited by Uni Moe; 11-27-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Senior User

Roger Carter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni Moe View Post
Roger,
I've found some good threads on the brake conversion.
What is the problem with pwr steering conversion and the 3 on the tree steering column? Do the pwr steering donors differ if auto, standard column or floor shift?
The information I have included in this post is based on keeping the 3 on the tree that the truck now has. If you decide to change transmissions, or shifter placement, the information may oy may not apply.

For the purpose of a power steering swap the only difference between the transmission types is the steering column. There are six different columns for any applicable truck. 3 speed, 4 speed and auto. Power or manual for each trans type. Later model trucks weren't available without PS so you options are down to three.

The main differences are the lengths of steering columns required since the maunal and power gears are different lengths, where they fasten to the steering column.There are two different PS gears, and the problems will differ depending on which you use.

The later gear, mid '69 and up (?) is usually called the Saginaw, or Ford gear and requires a steering column about 2" shorter than the original column. No real problem if the donor truck has a 3 on the tree, just a basic column swap. This is the most preferred PS gear, due to design issues, etc.

The earlier PS gear, '65-mid '69 is referred to as the Bendix gear. The steering column center shaft, the "steering shaft", for the Bendix is about 5/8* shorter than the original manual steering shaft in your column. Finding a proper length steering shaft, or having yours modified is the fix here.
Most people shy away from the Bendix gear for a number of reasons. They don't have the response the Saginaw gear does, they are prone to leak and service parts are difficult to come by.

I have used both and have no preference one way or the other.

Many will say nothing needs to be done to install the Bendix geat, that the steering column will fit fine. Maybe, in some cases, the manual column will fit. Accordind to Ford, and my past experiences, the shorter shaft is the way to go.

I have done both conversions. The last Bendix conversion was on a '66 with the 3 on the tree. I had planned to use a Saginaw gear, since I had one on the shelf, but couldn't find a shorter 3 speed column at the time. I shortened the original steering shaft, reassembled the originad column and bolted everything back together.

The '66 in my avatar has a Saginaw conversion. The truck was a 3 speed, but I converted it to a car four speed with floor shift. I found the '68 Mustang/Cougar tilt column was the correct length (2" shorter than stock) and installed it.

Again, use the search feature in this forumn. These subjects have been dealt with in great detail and you should be able to find most all the information you need for your swap.

One last bit of advice. Be prepared to encounter problems you hadn't counted on. Every project will have their own little obstacles that need to be overcome. Be ready to dig in, do some research and spend time finding your own solutions.
The information shared in these forums comes from the time of different people solving their own problems and sharing it with the rest of us. I wouldn't want to begin to count the hours, or dollars, I have spent to learn what I now know about power steering swaps for our trucks.

Keep the Forums posted on your progress.

Goor Luck.

RC
Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM