Emblem Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Emblem Removal

For various reasons I've bought a project truck. (I'll start a build thread at some point.) I'm putting a new front clip on from a donor truck and at the moment I'm prepping the "new" parts for painting.

Can somebody give me pointers on how to remove the various emblems? (things like to F-150 badges, etc.) While I am repainting, I would like a avoid any serious gouges. I'd also like to preserve to old emblems, unless it's just easier to replace them. For that matter, how does one reapply them as they seem to be glued on.

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Island Time
For various reasons I've bought a project truck. (I'll start a build thread at some point.) I'm putting a new front clip on from a donor truck and at the moment I'm prepping the "new" parts for painting.

Can somebody give me pointers on how to remove the various emblems? (things like to F-150 badges, etc.) While I am repainting, I would like a avoid any serious gouges. I'd also like to preserve to old emblems, unless it's just easier to replace them. For that matter, how does one reapply them as they seem to be glued on.

Thanks.
I use either fishing line or a fine wire like guitar string. Start on an edge and work the wire or line back and forth using a sawing action cutting through the adhesive. Once the emblem is removed you can block sand or polish the remaining adhesive off. Sometimes you can scrap it off using a plastic scrapper so as not to damage the paint. Later, if needed, pic up some automotive adhesive to reapply.
Hope this helps out.
Capt'n

Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Great! The thin line sounds like a much better approach than a putty knife. Thank you.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
If you haven't already tackled this I'll add this.............

Use something like 3M's Bug, Tar & Adhesive Remover in a quart can---comes with a pointed spout that's long enough to allow dripping it between the body and the emblem. As it drips downward it will loosen the already-applied tape making it easier to just pull them off.

Re-applying them also use a 3M automotive-grade double-sided tape, they have a product specifically for exterior emblem attachment.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Thanks. I'd already planned on using 3M Adhesive Remover. I also have the 3M "eraser" discs for the vinyl pinstripes. One of my side businesses is doing vinyl graphics work so at least that side of things will be easy for me. The other 99%, not so easy.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 AM
karlduke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I used heat gun to soften the emblem a bit for easy removal.