1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I got carried away and was a Bad boy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got carried away and was a Bad boy!

As you may remember (from the dog thread), I've really, really, wanted a SS front bumper for quite awhile. Well I made a bad decision late the other night. I got carried away and ordered one from Denniss Carprnders ebay site so I could charge it to pay pal. I was hoping my wife wouldn't notice, I guess. What a horrible thing to do, so I had to tell her. I made a promise along time ago that I wouldn't ever sneak truck parts again, so it was a big deal. Well being the great wife that she is responded with "All you had to do was ask". Like any good marriage ours is built on honesty and trust. I just had to share this with you all to show that this truck thing is addicting. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Jim, I'm glad you're not in the dog house, so to say.
Ordering parts is almost as good as receiving them......but I sometimes get buyers remorse when the credit card bill comes.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lmao jimmy, that is funny(not in your case) but mine, i just told the girl i was dating to hitt the road, because she didnt like my truck

Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
If all you did was order a bumper your still alright in my book. Its nots like you ordered a Russian bride or anything!
I am always showing my wife pictures of old rusty trucks and saying "like my new truck" she never knows when im serious so when a new truck shows up every once in a while its no suprise...

I know. I need HELP! Lol

Old 11-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Telling her was wise. I've known too many guys that hide stuff from their wives, and the result is never good. At best you always feel guilty; at worst you end up alone. Good for you!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:11 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
the waiting game ?

Brings back memorys of hanging out at the loading dock, watching the clock.
The magic number is 9AM, thats when she goes to work. So I arrive at the
shop with a 3700lb milling machine in my truck. While en route I call my kid to
fire up the loader. So I pulls in the shop, as my luck Busted. she took a sick
day!!!!! Me a cat when cats flatten their ears. Fact is she dont like nothin I
like or do, however me & the kid snuck in a 1923 Ford last mo. and she tottally
loves it. I have always likened a women as dropping a plugged in radio in the bath tub..........even cave men couldnt figure them out.........

Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Is it addictive? No.
However, it sure can become habitual!
Keep up the communication. It is the best way to stay in a good relationship. It definitely sounds like you have a keeper of a wife. I'd also suggest that you consider giving in the next time that she wants to stretch the budget a little.
Yes, I'm enabling at times.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 AM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
Talking I MUST BE A CAVE MAN

I LOVE my wife and she LOVES me for a long time now and we really get along... BUT as long as their is FOOD on the Table for her and the Children, I NEVER ASK her to do anything I just do it, now this doesn't mean I don't communicate with her, Of course I DO But I NEVER have to worry if she is gonna find out or not Because she will when it gets here. I Include my Family in everything I do but I DEFINITELY don't need them to hold my hand on a decision & that's why "I MUST BE CAVE MAN" OLD SCHOOL YARD RULES.... I will leave you guys with a saying I have "LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY" ENJOY your Family and don't WORRY about the SMALL STUFF In my HUMBLE OPINION...

Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it can snow-ball on you,haha!
When you start hauling in more trucks, then we will talk.....LOL

Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I am on my way to Florida , Taking my wife to see her sister for Thanksgiving . She just handed me a wad of cash to go to the Turkey Run , That's what a good marriage is all about . She gets what she wants and I get swap meet $ .

Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to go Jim- you have a good truck and a much better wife - keep it that way and you will be able to have a lot of fun in the future together.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I just told my wife I have a '47 1 1/2 ton coming in a week or so. We got married late in life 55 and 60, so we have just maintained our own checking accts. What works best for me is emphasizing when I sell something, and downplaying when I buy something. I always give her the real numbers, though she never asks. I'm badly addicted, but pretty cheap, so I always sell something when I want something new. I also do my 'restorations' with used, existing, modified or found parts. Case in point, this '47 will cost me 1400.00 delivered from N. Dakota because I'm splitting the total cost with a buddy that wants the Anthony Dump hoist that's on it. That same week I put an 8n tractor I never use anymore on CL for 1400.00. When I take my trailer over to the mainland to pick up the '47, I'll be delivering the 8n to it's new owner, and they are paying the 200.00 round trip ferry ticket for the delivery. Oh, and I will have a load of steel scrap on the flatbed when I leave. And here's a good tool.... She was with me when I bought my '59 f350 for 600.00. When I later sold the engine and the six tubeless 17.5s from it, I gave her the 800.00 to use for whatever she wants.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DR Smith
I am on my way to Florida , Taking my wife to see her sister for Thanksgiving . She just handed me a wad of cash to go to the Turkey Run , That's what a good marriage is all about . She gets what she wants and I get swap meet $ .

Turkey Run is awesome......WAD OF CASH is extra awesome!!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know how you feel Jim. My wife didn't know I had bought my truck till the tow truck dropped it off. I had just turned 50 and the deal of the century came along. The truck was delivered 2 weeks after I bought it. That was the worst 2 weeks of my life. She still bugs me about It, but is OK with it now. I usually ask permission before I spent anything over $50.00 on the truck.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Boomer61
Senior User
It's a fine line Jim! I walk it regularly here with my F-1. The wife is pretty cool with it so long as my purchases remain small ($50-$100 or less) once or twice a month. Just found a larger ($500+) part I need so it's time to be creative whilst I scramble to find something else to sell. The agreement is that big purchases have to be funded by "getting rid of some of that other stuff".

Glad it worked out for you. Most women are reasonable and understanding so long as we remain somewhat sane about it. As my mom use to say about my radio-collecting hobby "It keeps him off the streets. He could be spending it on drugs and getting in trouble all the time". Wives tend to appreciate a husband whose interests remain centered around home and not the local pubs or strip clubs, and will generally cut them some slack.

Quick Reply: I got carried away and was a Bad boy!