Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Posting Guru

DarkStarMedia is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Actually, the speedo connection is important...

As I understand it, when you first start the vehicle it will take an initial temp reading and then hold it till the vehicle is moving... this prevents engine heat from effecting the temp reading.

Richard
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
Actually, the speedo connection is important...

As I understand it, when you first start the vehicle it will take an initial temp reading and then hold it till the vehicle is moving... this prevents engine heat from effecting the temp reading.

Richard
That makes sense! I will have to watch mine a little more closely now to see if it actually changes temperature after the initial reading is displayed. Most of the trips I have taken since I installed it have been short trips anyway so I honestly haven't paid a lot of attention to it. I extended the wire down the a-pillar to under the dash anyway, so it will be a cinch to tie it in at the firewall connector if I need to.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Posting Guru

OldWoodsDiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
that'd be awesome if you could share all that stuff Nate - no hurry at all, though. i'm sure I won't get to this till after the holidays. I've been putting off a remodel of our living room for too long now and if I start adding gadgets and gizmos I think i'll start to hear it from the wife.

required maintenance items on the truck are one thing - playing around is another :-)

docs or links to docs on how to set it all up would be awesome though. ...as would the template.

and for the template. I was just saying to take a picture of the template from above, then take one or two reference measurements and send them along with the picture. I can then just scale the printer settings until that reference measurement comes out right on my printed version and it should be an exact copy. right?
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Unfortunately I can't link directly to the exact page you need, but here is a link to the Workshop manual (Broncos had these as an option as well).
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
From the main menu, you will have to click on Group 13 INSTRUMENTATION AND WARNING SYSTEMS.
Then click on Section 13-07 COMPASS/OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE DISPLAY.
From there I'm sure you can figure it all out on your own. The wiring diagram is there, as are the directions for adjusting and calibrating the compass. I did have to calibrate mine after adjusting for the deviation zone. Actually it went into calibration mode all by itself and wouldn't go out of that mode until I drove in a bunch of circles in the middle of a field. Now that all that is done it works like a champ!

I get what you're saying about the template, but I think I can scan it in full size on our scanner at work and then save it as a PDF (which will have the scaling locked in). Once that's done all you (or anyone else) will have to do is print it out on the appropriate size paper and transfer it over to a piece of cardboard.

And I'm right there with you on the maintenance. I still haven't finished changing all the fluids in the truck since I got it home, but then again I haven't driven it more than 400 miles or so either. I'm about ready to sell my little beater car just so I HAVE to drive the truck, lol. That probably wouldn't help my fuel bills though...

Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Posting Guru

awesome thanks. I had no idea all the info I needed was already in the online manual I had a link to. doesn't seem too hard to get it all set up right. ..except for that 'vehicle de-magnetizing' procedure. since no one uses picture tube TVs anymore, I bet it would be impossible to get a hold of one of those doohickies.

of course, I have my satellite radio antennae (with magnetic base) coming out of the cab light directly above where this console will mount. I guess I'll be relocating that while doing this work! hopefully it didn't magnetize the roof!
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potlicker David View Post
This is an awesome thread!!!! I never thought of hooking up an overhead console for temp and compass. What happens if you use the one from a vehicle that includes a mpg meter ( like the super dutys) would it just reed 0 if not connected or would it mess the rest of the stuff up
Don't worry about the LIE-O-METER. that is all they are anyway
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel View Post
awesome thanks. I had no idea all the info I needed was already in the online manual I had a link to. doesn't seem too hard to get it all set up right. ..except for that 'vehicle de-magnetizing' procedure. since no one uses picture tube TVs anymore, I bet it would be impossible to get a hold of one of those doohickies.

of course, I have my satellite radio antennae (with magnetic base) coming out of the cab light directly above where this console will mount. I guess I'll be relocating that while doing this work! hopefully it didn't magnetize the roof!
I didn't have to do anything with demagnetizing the vehicle and mine works fine, though you probably will want to move the mag mounted antenna. Let me know if you need a tube TV too lol. I have two or three of them. In fact our main TV is still a tube TV, but we're kind of old-school like that, lol.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Junior User

Potlicker David is starting off with a positive reputation.
Haha yea I know right!! My dads super duty hasn't budged from 14.5 mpg since he bought it. I was just concerned that all the functions were connected and if one wasn't functioning none would.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
I didn't have to do anything with demagnetizing the vehicle and mine works fine, though you probably will want to move the mag mounted antenna. Let me know if you need a tube TV too lol. I have two or three of them. In fact our main TV is still a tube TV, but we're kind of old-school like that, lol.
ha - we use 2 still as well. if it aint broke, don't throw it away - that's what I always say. if it ever needs demagnetizing (which I had never heard of before), i'll do it and the truck at the same time just for good measure :-)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel View Post
ha - we use 2 still as well. if it aint broke, don't throw it away - that's what I always say. if it ever needs demagnetizing (which I had never heard of before), i'll do it and the truck at the same time just for good measure :-)
I doubt you will have an issue with it as long as you relocate the satellite antenna.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
We solved the tube-TV thing real easy; when they switched from analog to digital TV, we just stopped watching it.

I put one of those compass mirrors in the Saturn that I never drive anymore. There was an "orientation" procedure, where you switch it to some mode, then drive once around the block. I think it uses that to somehow compensate for any magnetic fields within the vehicle.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel