Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Elder User

dclack is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu711 View Post
I've never seen one of those either, but I have been wondering why there are 2 bolts sticking out of the front of my rear seat. Mystery solved! Thanks!
'97 F250, 7.3L PSD, ZF 5spd, CC, SB, 4" AFE Intake, 3" dp, 4" Straight Pipe, 6" Lift, 3.73 Gears, D60 Swap with ARB, 10.25ls Rear, Glowshift Gauges and PHP Tunes! Wish List: Rosewood Stage 1s, Terminator T500 HPOP, IC
'73 Bronco, 302 HO EFI, ZF 5spd, D20, D44 Front, 9" Rear, Detroits Front and Rear
'03 Expedition, Eddie Bauer, 5.4L, Wife's Car = No Upgrades Allowed
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Posting Guru

DarkStarMedia is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
You do realize he is in PA and you are in AZ?!?!?
I don't mind if he delivers it....

I am kind of wondering if the supply issue is more of a regional thing... so more looking at a survey info then to have him pull an engine.

Richard
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
I don't mind if he delivers it....
Road trip! PA -> AZ in, say, mid-Feb wouldn't be bad. Load up with rust-free diesel rad supports for the return trip......
Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Posting Guru

OldWoodsDiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
True! Ok, I'll pull that motor and hump it out of the yard on my hand truck

Honestly, I may not even make it over to the car section, depending on how well I do pulling truck parts. There are ~400 trucks to look through and that section is right where you come in. Cars are broken up by make and are farther from the entrance. If I have time, I'll take a gander...

Those cupholders would be nice. Though they look almost identical to a new set I just bought from Amazon and am using up front.

Good call on just the driver door switches and switch panels. Will those panels fit in my 2-door door panels or are the openings different size?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
The switch plate and panel are specific to the CC; not interchangeable with the RC/EC trucks. This is why they're getting harder to find and good ones are worth preserving.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Senior User

osu711 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel View Post
True! Ok, I'll pull that motor and hump it out of the yard on my hand truck

Honestly, I may not even make it over to the car section, depending on how well I do pulling truck parts. There are ~400 trucks to look through and that section is right where you come in. Cars are broken up by make and are farther from the entrance. If I have time, I'll take a gander...

Those cupholders would be nice. Though they look almost identical to a new set I just bought from Amazon and am using up front.

Good call on just the driver door switches and switch panels. Will those panels fit in my 2-door door panels or are the openings different size?

If you mean that will a crew cab door panel fit in a door off a 2 door truck? Im pretty sure it should, just make sure u grab some more of those plastic snaps casue they bust almost garanteed when you take them off.

As for the CC driver door switch panels, they tend to crack right along where you put the bottom screw in so keep your eyes peeled. Also as for the CC driver door panel, check to see how well the window and door lock switches fit in, Make sure they fit in fairly tight bc if they are loose, its an act of congress to make something to get them to fit in right. As they get older the screw mounts for the switch assmbly tend to bust off. I think that pod that juts out with the switches on top can be removed off a CC door panel if you can do it w/o busting it, I think not positive on that

for your own information on the cup holders, there are two kinds that came factory.

One that had a ginormous ash tray and a cup holder (this is the one that I have in my truck, the ash tray is nice for putting pens, change, screws, cellphone, etc in)

And another (still in search of this one) that had two cupholders side by side

Lastly if you can find some decent tailgates for a good price or tailgate trim panels you can make some fairly decent $$$ on those if your looking to make some dough on the side
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Postmaster

The ashtray / single cup combo came on the manual transmission trucks, because the shifter would hit the version that holds two cups. The manual version sucks.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Senior User

osu711 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The ashtray / single cup combo came on the manual transmission trucks, because the shifter would hit the version that holds two cups. The manual version sucks.

It works nice for me becasue there is one person in the truck 95% of the time lol.

AND thats if it was an XLT, if you have as close to barebones as it gets XL like my dad does, you get your legs as a cup holder or a darn good sealing travel mug
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Posting Guru

So, I didn't get much at Harry's - like last time I was there, they had zero diesel trucks on the lot, so clearly, I came up empty on the intercooler, SD IDM, etc.

It was about 20 degrees out that day, though so its probably just as well. the junkyard did look quite nice with a light dusting of snow though :-)

what I did get was 4 grey grab handles (which the wife was quite happy about) and a temperature/compass console from an early 2001-2005 Explorer. I grabbed the temp sender from the bumper to go with it (which conincidentally looks identical to our intake air sensors), as well as the wiring all the way down the a-pillar.

nate - did you ever get your setup figured out? the 2 wire colors from the temp sender match two wires from the a-pillar harness, so that connection is straight forward, but i'll need to figure out which wires are power and ground for the console on the whole. anyone have a link to wiring diagrams for a 3rd Gen (2001-2005) Explorer?

Also, I didn't get a chance to make it over to the cars section and look for that Pontiac engine. my dad was starting to get antsy to leave in the cold and the Pontiacs were about a half mile away (literally) from the trucks - sorry.
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Sounds like you did okay for the time you had there!

I did get mine installed and buttoned up. Here is the write-up I used, which includes the color codes for the wiring:
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20328

One thing I would suggest is that you test the console out before you install it. I had to go through about 3 of them until I found one that would read the temperature and work correctly.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Posting Guru

thanks for the link, Nate - that's all the info needed right there! did you just power it up with 12V bench power to check and make sure it worked ahead of time?

also, that bit about the speedo wire being for windchill temp compensation is a wrong, I believe. an electronic sensor wouldn't be effected by wind speed. I wonder if it has something to do with the compass sensor?

whatever the case, I look forward to getting it hooked up! I always like having a compass while driving.

oh - and not a single crew cab vehicle in the lot either, so I came up empty there as well!
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
thanks for the link, Nate - that's all the info needed right there! did you just power it up with 12V bench power to check and make sure it worked ahead of time?

also, that bit about the speedo wire being for windchill temp compensation is a wrong, I believe. an electronic sensor wouldn't be effected by wind speed. I wonder if it has something to do with the compass sensor?

whatever the case, I look forward to getting it hooked up! I always like having a compass while driving.

oh - and not a single crew cab vehicle in the lot either, so I came up empty there as well!
Yeah, I just hooked it up to bench power and connected the temp sensor to make sure that everything was working like it should. The first two wouldn't display the temperature (I think they just displayed a default value around 55 degrees or something).

Did you get the one with the switch in it for the sunroof or the one with the compartment for the garage door opener? The consoles are slightly different sizes depending on which one you got. I think that back section where either the switch or the storage compartment is would be a good place to put some auxiliary switches at some point.

And yeah, I didn't connect the wire to the speedometer either because I didn't see the point in it. Windchill is a calculation of heat loss and something has to be warmer than ambient to have heat loss. The sensor should be at ambient temperature since that's kind of the point!

I really wanted the compass too and having the outdoor temperature is really nice. The thing I didn't expect gaining was the amount of light that is added to the interior of the truck from the map lights in the console coming on with the dome lights. It really adds a lot of light up around the dash and front seats. I didn't expect to like that as much as I do. This is a really good mod for sure. I wonder if I can scan the cardboard template I made onto a sheet of paper and then load it as a PDF? That might make it easier to share that bit of the process. I did a lot of fooling with the profile on the front of the console and I am still not completely happy with how it turned out, but it looks as good as I think it would from the factory and it is certainly functional.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Junior User

Potlicker David is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is an awesome thread!!!! I never thought of hooking up an overhead console for temp and compass. What happens if you use the one from a vehicle that includes a mpg meter ( like the super dutys) would it just reed 0 if not connected or would it mess the rest of the stuff up
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
Yeah, I just hooked it up to bench power and connected the temp sensor to make sure that everything was working like it should. The first two wouldn't display the temperature (I think they just displayed a default value around 55 degrees or something).

Did you get the one with the switch in it for the sunroof or the one with the compartment for the garage door opener? The consoles are slightly different sizes depending on which one you got. I think that back section where either the switch or the storage compartment is would be a good place to put some auxiliary switches at some point.

And yeah, I didn't connect the wire to the speedometer either because I didn't see the point in it. Windchill is a calculation of heat loss and something has to be warmer than ambient to have heat loss. The sensor should be at ambient temperature since that's kind of the point!

I really wanted the compass too and having the outdoor temperature is really nice. The thing I didn't expect gaining was the amount of light that is added to the interior of the truck from the map lights in the console coming on with the dome lights. It really adds a lot of light up around the dash and front seats. I didn't expect to like that as much as I do. This is a really good mod for sure. I wonder if I can scan the cardboard template I made onto a sheet of paper and then load it as a PDF? That might make it easier to share that bit of the process. I did a lot of fooling with the profile on the front of the console and I am still not completely happy with how it turned out, but it looks as good as I think it would from the factory and it is certainly functional.
what about just drawing some dimensions onto the template and then taking a picture of it from directly above. I bet I could play with the printer scaling on this end and get it to print pretty close to scale. and is it a template for cutting the profile into the front for the headliner trim or is it for the mount bracket? I grabbed the metal mount bracket from the explorer so i'm hoping to make that work. I was also thinking about splitting my headliner trim in two and cutting out the section that the console passes through - rather than trimming the console. I have an extra one of those trim pieces, so I may see how it works/looks. any scanning/sharing is much appreciated, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potlicker David View Post
This is an awesome thread!!!! I never thought of hooking up an overhead console for temp and compass. What happens if you use the one from a vehicle that includes a mpg meter ( like the super dutys) would it just reed 0 if not connected or would it mess the rest of the stuff up
yeah, it would need to know speed and fuel quantity used, which would take some real figuring/electrical engineering to make it work.

a related question to this, though that I just remembered: Nate - does your console have a "mode" button? mine has 2 dome light buttons and a 'mode' button in the center. I appears to display temp and compass direction at the same time on either side of the screen, so I wonder what the mode button is for? I was thinking maybe it'd be for MPG or other stuff - which would clearly not work on my end. then I was afraid maybe the PCM of the Explorer ran this whole console and it wouldn't work for me. it doesn't sound like that's the case as the one I grabbed looks just like the one in the link you sent, but I still can't figure what the mode button is for...

as for the back compartment. I was yanking fast in the yard, but I don't believe this had a sunroof. actually i'm sure its a dropdown compartment as that's where the mount screws were located - inside that compartment. that's a great idea using that surface for switch-mounting. I have plans for LOTS of external work/fog/bed lights, so that'd be perfect up there. though I could use somewhere to keep my sunglasses as well :-)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
what about just drawing some dimensions onto the template and then taking a picture of it from directly above. I bet I could play with the printer scaling on this end and get it to print pretty close to scale. and is it a template for cutting the profile into the front for the headliner trim or is it for the mount bracket? I grabbed the metal mount bracket from the explorer so i'm hoping to make that work. I was also thinking about splitting my headliner trim in two and cutting out the section that the console passes through - rather than trimming the console. I have an extra one of those trim pieces, so I may see how it works/looks. any scanning/sharing is much appreciated, though!

yeah, it would need to know speed and fuel quantity used, which would take some real figuring/electrical engineering to make it work.

a related question to this, though that I just remembered: Nate - does your console have a "mode" button? mine has 2 dome light buttons and a 'mode' button in the center. I appears to display temp and compass direction at the same time on either side of the screen, so I wonder what the mode button is for? I was thinking maybe it'd be for MPG or other stuff - which would clearly not work on my end. then I was afraid maybe the PCM of the Explorer ran this whole console and it wouldn't work for me. it doesn't sound like that's the case as the one I grabbed looks just like the one in the link you sent, but I still can't figure what the mode button is for...

as for the back compartment. I was yanking fast in the yard, but I don't believe this had a sunroof. actually i'm sure its a dropdown compartment as that's where the mount screws were located - inside that compartment. that's a great idea using that surface for switch-mounting. I have plans for LOTS of external work/fog/bed lights, so that'd be perfect up there. though I could use somewhere to keep my sunglasses as well :-)
The template would be tough to measure and transfer to a drawing. I think I could scan or copy it to a sheet of paper and just share it that way. I may try and do that here pretty soon. It is more or less a template of what the shape of the headliner and front trim piece is. I suppose you could cut the headliner to go around the console, but I think mounting it would be an issue then. You do have to cut out the headliner to allow the back of the console and lights to go up into the space above, but the console is actually mounted to the headliner in the back and to the steel trim piece ahead of the headliner in the front. I grabbed the mounting bracket too, but didn't use it because I don't think there is clearance to do so. Once you trim away the sides to make them fit the profile of the headliner, I think you have to mount the console too "deep" into the roof to be able to use the bracket. The console doesn't weigh much so mine just has 2 screws into the steel trim up front and two in to the headliner in the back.

Yeah, mine has the "mode" button too. They all have that. It changes the display from Fahrenheit to Celsius and it is what you use to calibrate the compass and adjust the zone for deviations in the magnetic field. I have the instructions for that here somewhere too. I think they're in the use manual though. I'll have to see if I can find them for you.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel