1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do average people buy diesels?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PSDlongbox
why live in a state with a 65mph speed limit
You got me there! There's nothing good about Illinois!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:55 PM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess my first diesel was bought because I could. I did not even need a truck but one afternoon I was watching football and saw a commercial for a tough diesel pick up truck and bout it because I wanted a manly truck.

I eventually used it for it's designed purpose - drove around the country and up to Alaska from the east coast of the USA a couple of times delivering boats and travel trailers. But I did that because I already had the truck for it - I did not buy the truck to do that.

Last edited by djm1204; 11-24-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTalley
To throw another wrench into the works - why would anyone buy an F250 or F350 if an F150 would suffice (i.e. no heavy loads in the bed, no heavy towing, etc.)?
Although I do haul heavy loads. I like having the stance, the roomy interior and the solid front axle. I just prefer the Superduty platform gas or diesel.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
djm1204
Elder User
ok this answer is easy for me - I bought a left over SD 350. I paid less than I could get a current model F150 for - so falling back on my being prepared training - it's better to have and not need than need and not have - I went for the F350. Besides - it's a manly truck - I like the look - stance - ride - etc.

and I guess there is about a 20% attitude of I bought it because I could.

not bragging - just saying

Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 Ford Ranger 4.0 13/14MPG average. (Mostly bobtailing)
2004 Excursion 6.0 13.2MPG average. Re: milage log over the last 8 months (50/50 towing 4kish)
Tons of room/comfort for the family
Don't have to unload tools at the end of the day.
Comfortably sleep in it at the track.
Ability to tune for DD, towing and or economy.
OUTstanding offroading (snow or mud)
All around....... everything I needed my vehicle to be.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

because whenever I see a 5.4 Super Duty on the road I automatically feel bad for the guy driving it.
I used to be that guy!

After pulling my son's 10k bumper pull trailer with my 5.4 or my brothers 6.8, I now pull our 15.5 k fifth wheel with ease.

You forget how much more stressful it is...

pulling a load, constantly having to "manage" the tranny between 2nd and 3rd...

flipping on the emergency blinkers going up hills slowly...

having to slow down behind big rigs because you can't muster enough oomph
to pass...

looking far enough ahead to built momentum for the next hill...

the smell of brake pads without an engine brake...

stopping for a pee brake only on downhills...

pulling over and using the shoulder to allow fully loaded PSD's to pass...

I'm probably forgetting something because... those memories are giving me a headache.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
Originally Posted by r2millers
I used to be that guy!

After pulling my son's 10k bumper pull trailer with my 5.4 or my brothers 6.8, I now pull our 15.5 k fifth wheel with ease.

You forget how much more stressful it is...

pulling a load, constantly having to "manage" the tranny between 2nd and 3rd...

flipping on the emergency blinkers going up hills slowly...

having to slow down behind big rigs because you can't muster enough oomph
to pass...

looking far enough ahead to built momentum for the next hill...

the smell of brake pads without an engine brake...

stopping for a pee brake only on downhills...

pulling over and using the shoulder to allow fully loaded PSD's to pass...

I'm probably forgetting something because... those memories are giving me a headache.
Hahahahahahahahahaa

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahaa
Don't make me use the Blah Blah Icon again...

Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM
antwan181
Mountain Pass
Ive had both 95 150, 11 ram 1500(piece of s**t), and now my 13 350... I carry a trailer that a car could handle every now and then... but I just love the look of superdutys... I love it for the family too

Old 11-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Krochus
Elder User
When I bought my pontoon boat I was just looking at the weight of 3800lbs and thinking my 2006 tundra wouldn't ever break a sweat pulling it.

But as it turns out I forgot to account for wind resistance. Towing these behemoths is like trying to drive down the hwy with a giant drag chute deployed behind the truck.

The tundra did fine 45mph or below. But the faster I'd go the more throttle and gear I'd have to dig into. I could drain 1/2 a tank still getting passed on the interstate like crazy in a horrifyingly short time. This resulted much gear hunting and would have killed the trans in short order.

SO

I wanted a 3/4 ton with an UPGRADE in power from my Toyota 4.7 (sorry 5.4 but you ain't it) with a stick so I could hold a gear throughout the throttle range if need be. That meant either a 6 speed v10 or an older diesel. I say older because I knew of newer engines issues and that economy has taken a hit vs pre emissions oil burners. I didn't need an 850 ft lb monster but I did need something with more grunt than base gassers.

I found a LOW mileage 2000 xl optioned like I like (none) with a zf6 and a 7.3, the price was right so I sprung on it. I'm glad I did.

The tundra wAs a nice truck and the crew can was awesome. But my super duty tows my boat with much less stress, handles the load better. AND gets significantly better economy doing it.

Fuel cost per gallon isn't an issue for me as since the advent of e10+ I had to start running pure gas premium if I wanted to have any power or no detonation in the tundra placing the per gallon cost pretty close to diesel. (Ethanol is garbage)

Oil change costs are a wash too. The tundra liked mobile1 cheap 15/40 rotella by the. 5 gal bucket is the best oil for a 7.3 final price betwixt 7qts of mobile. 1 vs 5gal of rotella last I checked was around $20

Since buying my diesel. I've had the chance to drive several v10 trucks further reinforcing my decision as a good one in my mind

Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM
FSJ-EARL
Mountain Pass
Carrying a fully loaded truck with camper in tow and family and not worrying about ANYTHING. I can also haul my car trailer with my Jeep on it and not worry about ANYTHING. I get great gas mileage, I am looking at keeping this truck for several hundred thousand miles so the total cost of ownership over the long haul will be lower. Fuel is a little more expensive as is maintenance, but so far all the issues I had with a diesel were the same issues that I would have had with a gasser. Plus I got a KILLER deal on my truck so I could not pass it up.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM
tazaxx
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who gets to define what an "average" person is???

I bought the 04 6.0 for well under the trade in on it. I did all the needed 'bulletproofing' updates, and it runs like a scalded dog! and 21mpg on the highway.

Diesels can cost more to maintain, but if maintained properly, it will run much longer than a gasser before it needs rebuilt. I don't use the truck for a daily driver, so it may be the last truck I ever own.

I am driving it to work this week though, and this morning it started right up without block heat, and it was 15* outside at 0600 (I do need to get that high idle switch installed though).

The diesel fuel costs about 20% more here in Virginia, but the 6.0 gets 100% better mileage than my 96 with the 460 in it.

So overall, I'm spending less on fuel, I've got a far more capable truck for occasional towing, and it's way more comfortable than my old 96.... I'm lovin it!

Build thread for the DIESEL SUPERDUTY coming soon

Old 11-25-2013, 01:58 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tazaxx
Who gets to define what an "average" person is???
I do because it my thread and my definition was clearly stated in the first post

Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM
AlexG21
Mountain Pass
We have our truck camper on the back all summer and usually pull a boat. Living in the foothills of Colorado, we do the majority of our driving in the mountains and a diesel was the best option. I love the fact that while going up and down the passes the truck keeps a fairly constant rpm w/o downshifting. That and I love the sound of the diesel while I drive :-)

Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I can also give quite a bit of info on this one as Iv owned several of each. Ill start by saying a TON of guys in my town drive trucks when they really could get by with a Corolla.... Why buy a truck? Fun factor. 4wd. Etc, etc

Ill just go through all my most current vehicles:

2011 Ranger. Pulled a trailer... somewhat. No *****. Helluva truck but no heavy hauler. 18 mpg

1992 F-250. Could rip a house down with that 460, but couldn't hardly afford to drive it at 11 mpgs. Also bought a camper at this time and it did great! Tranny went out a few months later (not because of camper)

1989 F-250. My first diesel. Loved this truck to death! No ***** being naturally aspirated but got a consistant 16.5 mpg

1996 F-350. Great looking truck, 7.3L PSD, not indestructible as the water pump went out and burned up the motor. I still own this truck and its still sitting.

1994 F-350, 7.3L IDIT, biggest piece of garbage Iv ever bought. 11 mpgs on diesel

Current truck: 2004 F-250 Harley-Davidson edition, v10. Also love this truck! Looks good, pulls good, 10 mpgs.

When it comes down to it, the Ranger actually suited me just fine (until I bought my camper). Had a bed to haul stuff in, had a hitch to tow a trailer if needed, got good mpgs and had a beautiful paint job. Why did I buy my first diesel? Fate. I loved it also.

Personally, would I buy another diesel? Yup. Would I buy another gasser? Yup. Have I had problems with each? Yup. Were the gassers cheaper to maintain? Yup. Were the diesels more fun to drive? Hell yea! (Hench the reason Iv kept the 7.3L PSD). Would I drive a 6.4/6.7 if it was gave to me? Yup. Would I drive any other gasser if it were gave to me? Yup. If it has a motor and a Ford symbol, Id drive it!

When it comes down to it, you can have just as many problems with a diesel as you can a gasser. Diesels are NOT bullet proof and neither is a gasser. Get what ya need and quit arguing at each other lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why do average people buy diesels?