2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost out tows 2014 Chevy 6.2L

Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure why people are saying GM's 6.2L doesn't have direct injection?

GM's new Ecotec3 6.2L has both:
  • Direct Injection
  • Continuously variable valve timing

It shares almost nothing in common with their previous generation 6.2L. IIRC, the only parts that are the same could fit in your hand (a couple of bolts and retaining clips).

Technologically, it's no dinosaur. With the aluminum block it weighs about the same as the ecoboost, it makes more peak hp/tq, it's rated for better fuel economy than the 5.0L (14 city/20 highway in 4x4 trim), and they put a lot of work into giving it a much better torque curve (a major complaint of other late model vortec engines).

For this test the big deciding factor was the altitude. For a naturally aspirated engine, the formula to estimate hp loss is: "(elevation x 0.03 x horsepower at sea level)/1000"

(12,000*.03*420)/1000= 151hp

At that altitude the 6.2L was likely making less than 300hp. The Ecoboost also took a hit to its horsepower and torque, but I'm sure it was a lot less than the 6.2L.

I'm a Ford truck guy, but I appreciate good engineering from all the manufacturers and I can tell you, from what I've seen, I wouldn't write off the Ecotec 6.2L just yet. I have no doubt it will be a strong performer in other tests closer to sea level. At least until Ford releases their next gen F150.

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Really I highly doubt V8's are going away anytime soon! They will always be a need for this engine in certain applications! Tell anybody in NASCAR that the V8 is going away at the track & see how many friends you make sir! ...............
To be fair, Nascar hasn't exactly been on the cutting edge of automotive technology in years. I mean hell, they just got TBI based electronic fuel injection in 2012. By comparison, F1 and Indycar have already dropped their V8's. Even Australia's V8 Supercar series is talking about dropping V8's, and that has V8 in the title!

Will the V8 engine disappear all together? I doubt it. But the trend towards engine downsizing and forced induction is where a lot of manufacturers are investing, and I don't think that can be ignored. Especially since, for the most part, consumers seem to be quite readily accepting of this trend. Especially the next generation of car buyers who seemingly care more about fuel economy and smart phone integration than they do about things like V8's.

I look at it this way.....if you asked me as a teenager if I thought manual transmissions would one day make up less than 1% of cars sold (and the big block engine would disappear from cars all together), I probably would have laughed in your face. Yet, 30+ years later, here we are.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Myself, along with quite a few of us use our trucks for real world towing, and the Eco does it without having to rev the motor to fuel sucking rpm levels. It has impressive power at low revs, all the way to high. I went from 7-8 MPG towing with my old V8 to mostly 9 and 10 MPG with my Ecoboost, not too bad. I love V8's a lot and needed convincing that a 6 banger could do the work of a V8. Well, I'm a believer, it can be done.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Nascar means nothing to me, I'm not a race fan. These built engines aren't computerized, fuel injected or employ any of todays engine fail safe systems or anything. So how does a race engine compare to pulling 10K up a mountain?

Here we're discussing HP/TQ vs RPM's and the ability to move massive weight and the truck's ability to manage all of this while staying in the power band of the engine.
Your quite misinformed sir which doesn't surprise me cause you think your Eco is the best thing since sliced bread! Today's NASCAR engines are in fact fuel injected & are more modern than you think! Much racing technology trickles down to the cars we consumers use every day!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Your quite misinformed sir which doesn't surprise me cause you think your Eco is the best thing since sliced bread! Today's NASCAR engines are in fact fuel injected & are more modern than you think! Much racing technology trickles down to the cars we consumers use every day!
You can't be serious.

My 1989 Jeep was fuel injected. The NASCAR Sprint Cup didn't get it until 2012. Perhaps regular consumer automotive technology is trickling down to race cars?

He's misinformed because he likes his truck? Are you here to offer any kind of rational discussion or are you just trying to pick a fight?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
You can't be serious.

My 1989 Jeep was fuel injected. The NASCAR Sprint Cup didn't get it until 2012. Perhaps regular consumer automotive technology is trickling down to race cars?

He's misinformed because he likes his truck? Are you here to offer any kind of rational discussion or are you just trying to pick a fight?
Sorry but I've been around racing for a very long time & when somebody does not know what they are talking about they deserve to be corrected with the facts. NASCAR implements technology slowly to keep costs down plain & simple.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by efx4
Myself, along with quite a few of us use our trucks for real world towing, and the Eco does it without having to rev the motor to fuel sucking rpm levels. It has impressive power at low revs, all the way to high. I went from 7-8 MPG towing with my old V8 to mostly 9 and 10 MPG with my Ecoboost, not too bad. I love V8's a lot and needed convincing that a 6 banger could do the work of a V8. Well, I'm a believer, it can be done.
Well, thing is a twin turbo ecoboost at 3000rpm and 15lbs of boost is going to burn about the same about of fuel a small v8 at 5000rpm would. Boost = fuel. Ecoboost looses all of its economy advantages as soon as you start getting into the boost.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Butl85
Well, thing is a twin turbo ecoboost at 3000rpm and 15lbs of boost is going to burn about the same about of fuel a small v8 at 5000rpm would. Boost = fuel. Ecoboost looses all of its economy advantages as soon as you start getting into the boost.
If that's true efx4 must be lying about his fuel economy...right?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Gentlemen,

Please forgive me as I despise having to do this but I'm shutting this down. We've gotten so far off track and i see no way back.