1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Need some parts advise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need some parts advise...

so... i am thinking of working on my truck this coming weekend (turkey day weekend).

i have a fuel (i think) leak in the valley that is dropping down the back of my motor and leaving spots where ever i park.

Also, i am not really sure the glow plug system has ever worked well. most of tje year it doesn't matter but when it gets really really cold (50s) she can be a bear to start.

when i bought her i re-sealed the fuel bowl, replaced the three blue hoses, replaced the gasket on the hpop, and did the turbo o-rings.

as i am not sure what is leaking i am not sure what to get. i will need to have the truck running by the Monday morning. i am looking for thoughts.

i figure i should have the following on hand or readily available:

fuel pump
fuel bowl oring kit
vc gaskets ans assorted wiring
glow plugs
and i already have the stancore gpr

so what else to cover my bases?

Richard

Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol, 50's is really cold huh? It's 16 outside here this morning!

I would also add that you may want to change the compression seals where the fuel lines from the banjo bolt go into the head. If the one on the passenger side leaks, it will drip fuel off the back of the starter. Don't ask me how I know... Also I have learned that the best way to be able to get that fitting loose is to modify a 9/16" 12 point box end wrench by cutting a slit in it so it will slip over the fuel line. It's really tight back there between the head and the downpipe, so you will have to take the DP off the turbo and push it as far back against the firewall as possible. I used a little scrap of wood between the cobra head on the top of the DP and the turbo outlet to hold the DP back as far as possible then you can get in there and go to work. It's still really tight and you have to use the box end, then the open end one way, then the box end, then the open end the other way, etc. A real pain, but if you have already replaced the o-rings and blue hoses that may be where your leak is coming from.

Other than that I think you have your bases pretty well covered.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
It was on 47° here yesterday morning. I think Richard was making a joke Nate. LOL

I also think you have your bases covered.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Check the sensor if you still have the fuel restriction sensor on the fuel bowl.They have a tendicy to leak. And all fluids that get into the valley drain down over the starter.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
It was on 47° here yesterday morning. I think Richard was making a joke Nate. LOL

I also think you have your bases covered.
who is joking? it got in the 40s here last night.…. thats freezing cold.... i am still cowering under the sheets...

richard

Old 11-24-2013, 10:40 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
who is joking? it got in the 40s here last night.…. thats freezing cold.... i am still cowering under the sheets...

richard
Get some car-hart blizzard coverall's and get with it man, LOL!!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Can anyone tell me if the HPOP leaks out the back oil or fuel when it leaks

Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Oh yeah the trouble to get fuel pump out thanks guys

Old 11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Ok... I decided to tear into it today and only order what I need.

I am pretty sure it is just fuel leaking. rats had gotten in there and left some odds and ends but it looks like nothing (other than some hood and AC insulation) got chewed.

Based on the distribution of fuel wetness I am guessing fuel pump. I vacuumed out most of the cactus ends/berrys that the rats left and did a little cleaning.

I followed the fuel pump lines to the back of the head but there were no banjo fittings(other than the fuel pump) ... just npt. I felt the fittings and the big plugs on the back of the heads and they felt dry.

Where are these banjo fittings you were talking about.

I noted some residue that seems to indicate the back of the hpop might be weeping a very little bit... when it leaks, does it leak oil or fuel?

I also found a torn turbo oring on the output side.

Pic Fest...

EDT: I also found that missing nut from the turbo I dropped when I did all the other work when I got the truck...

Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the HPOP leaks out the back oil or fuel when it leaks
Hpop just has oil Richard, no fuel.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Hpop just has oil Richard, no fuel.
Good... I am not gonna worry about it till i get real fluid coming out.

Richard

Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
And by the way... I have at least 2 working glow plugs... I started testing on the passenger side and I thought I was doing it wrong... after getting nothing on any of the me and going back and forth between the truck and phone to look up the pinout I tried the connector on the forward drivers bank....

those two are ok.... I didn't bother testing the rear two... not sure if they work.

Richard

Old 11-24-2013, 04:45 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The seals I was referring to are on the fittings where the fuel lines go into the heads. Maybe I did make it sound like I was talking about banjo fittings, but they're actually a compression fitting that uses a little rubber seal inside instead of a brass ferrule. It is a little square cut seal that fits inside the fitting and the nut compresses it to make the seal. Here's the link to the ones you need from Riffraff.

Riffraff Diesel: Parker 60VLV-4 Viton Sleeve (1/4 inch)

It's really up to you, whether you want to change them or not because it is a bit of a pain with the downpipe in the way. I didn't replace mine when I changed the fuel pump, but I think from all the jockeying around in there doing the pump I may have worked one of them loose because it was leaking. I was able to tighten it up enough to almost stop the leak ( -- ALMOST) but I know at this point I'm just buying myself some time and nothing else. I will put new seals in it when I finally get an aftermarket down pipe to put in there. It will be a quick job without the DP in the way. Even if you don't change them, I would buy the seals and have them on hand just in case. It's cheap insurance anyway...

Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
I picked up an airtex pump and a set of zd-11s from amazon so i get them by Wednesday (yea prime) If I need the gaskets I will get them locally.

anyone know if the banjo gaskets come with the pump? I would assume so...

the fuel bowl was not leaking anywhere, so that was nice.

Richard

Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
anyone know if the banjo gaskets come with the pump? I would assume so...
Richard
Some do, some don't but if it doesn't you should be able to get them individually from Ford. IN the interest of time you may want to plan to get them anyway since my experience has been that most of the fuel pumps available do not come with the banjo washers unless the expressly state that they do.

Quick Reply: Need some parts advise...