Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

RUNVS has a good reputation on FTE.RUNVS has a good reputation on FTE.
Building onboard air system - anyone have parts?

Have had my truck for a long time but after looking at the cost to replace...I think I am going to hold on to her for awhile longer.

One of my planned projects that I am currently gearing up for is an on-board air system. I have recently purchased a used Viair 450c compressor for a great price. I'm in search of other items now and thought I'd see if anyone around here has anything.

Anything that would go with an onboard air system; fittings, flexible air lines (150psi+), tank, etc.

I already have my horn on my Christmas list but if anyone just happens to have a Grover 1510 they'd like to let go, hit me up!!

I also need to do a crap-ton of wiring on this truck for the upgrades I am in the process of and the planned future add-ons. If anyone has spools of wiring let me know.
'02 F-250 Super Duty 5.4L XLT 4x4 SCLB, '09 bed/gate/step/cam, '07 front conversion, SPD Y-pipe, SS dual 2.5 w/MBRP tips, Gibson shortys, PowerSlot Cryos, Hawk pads, A-pillar triple pod, optima bluetop, dual-core radiator, Bilsteins, 295/70R17 Nittos on Raceline Predators, K&N, Back Rack, SCT w/5star tunes, Warn lockouts, several anti-theft devices
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j-TflIBAG5c/TtG6TkJ9PjI/AAAAAAAAKsQ/svk9X8Ki2No/s144/truck%2520hauling.jpg Click --->HERE<-- to join the OHIO Chapter!!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Freshman User

coolbluef150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't have any air system parts, I do have some wiring ......bit I do have lots of tools and an eagerness to help a brother out.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.
Plastic line? I get that at Cross truck parts(actual DOT rated line). Any "big rig" parts store has that it at minimal cost/foot. The brass fittings are also in the same place.

I'd check around truck junk yard for a tank. I think I had less then $35? each for the two tanks I put on my Mack when I stretched the frame and put air ride on it. They were just take offs, even had mounting studs installed on them for easy installation.

Click the image to open in full size.

Horn? I have one spare horn, don't know the part number. It is a matching unit to the single I have on my truck. Just was waiting to find the front support arm before I try to put it on my truck. There again, truck junk yard is best place.

I used a little yard here in Barberton for all my stuff. Really reasonable prices compared to some of the big yards(like Adelmans in Canton).
Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Figures, I was just down that way a week ago - the night you made that post!!

Is the plastic line rated for 150psi? I would imagine a tank from a Mack would be too big for the Superduty. I have seen guys put up to 5 gallon but I need to find that "right fit" size tank for the compressor.

The 450c is 100% duty-cycle and I think a 2-3 gallon tank is about right for what I need.

I found a 2.5 gallon Viair tank for about $65 new, shipped. I just put the horn on my "list for Santa" and handed that to the wife, LOL!!! I really want a stuttertone horn, not a train horn which seems to be all the rage right now. I'm not going to drive around the mall scaring teenagers but I want something with authority!

Someone on here mounted their compressor in an ammo box and I love that idea!! There is a gun shop nearby that has lots of old ammo boxes so I will stop in there and find one that fits the size for this compressor.
'02 F-250 Super Duty 5.4L XLT 4x4 SCLB, '09 bed/gate/step/cam, '07 front conversion, SPD Y-pipe, SS dual 2.5 w/MBRP tips, Gibson shortys, PowerSlot Cryos, Hawk pads, A-pillar triple pod, optima bluetop, dual-core radiator, Bilsteins, 295/70R17 Nittos on Raceline Predators, K&N, Back Rack, SCT w/5star tunes, Warn lockouts, several anti-theft devices
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j-TflIBAG5c/TtG6TkJ9PjI/AAAAAAAAKsQ/svk9X8Ki2No/s144/truck%2520hauling.jpg Click --->HERE<-- to join the OHIO Chapter!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Hard to tell scale, what size are those tanks? I would guess 5-7 gallon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
Plastic line? I get that at Cross truck parts(actual DOT rated line). Any "big rig" parts store has that it at minimal cost/foot. The brass fittings are also in the same place.

I'd check around truck junk yard for a tank. I think I had less then $35? each for the two tanks I put on my Mack when I stretched the frame and put air ride on it. They were just take offs, even had mounting studs installed on them for easy installation.

Click the image to open in full size.

Horn? I have one spare horn, don't know the part number. It is a matching unit to the single I have on my truck. Just was waiting to find the front support arm before I try to put it on my truck. There again, truck junk yard is best place.

I used a little yard here in Barberton for all my stuff. Really reasonable prices compared to some of the big yards(like Adelmans in Canton).
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.Freightrain has a good reputation on FTE.
6-7" round? about 24"-30" long? Something like that. Have to actually measure them to see.

Pretty sure all the DOT line is rated for 150#, as it has to deal with brakes and you know they would not allow it if it was marginal. Most any big truck has 120-130# high side shut off for compressor.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

7" Dia. x 30" long would be about 5 gallon, I believe. I have no idea how to match up the compressor size to the tank size. However, most of the time I see a 450C compressor it is matched to a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank. I am sure it would fill five gallons but just take a lot longer to do so. It is a 100% duty-cycle so it could run continuously until filled.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Shiftoholic

Not like you have constant use for the air, so the pump would not have to run forever. I don't know what the compressor looks like, but on my Mack it takes a 1-2 minutes to fill one tank with motor idling(like a cold start up after a week sitting). Don't know what the CFM rating is? Looking up your compressor it is .9 CFM at 100 psi. Not alot of volume(but who needs it).

I'd go with a bigger tank if possible. You can always use it for filling a tire? changing a flat(with air gun). Whatever. Mount it longways along outside the frame under the bed.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Postmaster

JOHN2001 has a great reputation on FTE.JOHN2001 has a great reputation on FTE.JOHN2001 has a great reputation on FTE.JOHN2001 has a great reputation on FTE.JOHN2001 has a great reputation on FTE.
With my air horns I ran a 2 gallon tank mounted to the inside of the hitch then took my air compressor and mounted that tucked up inside the x bracing of the spare tire welded to the frame ( all seemed like the safest place for everything). For pump to tank piping I used a ss braded line with swage lock fittings. I forgot what kind of hose I used for the tank to horns it was just a rubber hose I'll look at it if you need me to.
I took all that stuff off and it's sitting in the garage waiting for a revised version of my tank that I'm making. I have 4 - 3" ss pipes welded in parallel 30" long that I'm going to be putting on as my new tank when I get around to finishing. I may add one more piece of pipe to that. I'll hook up my air horn again but am going to add a line with a T and split the line to come out mid way on each side of the truck with quick disconnects and put a short air hose in the cab of the truck along with an impact. This way if I get a flat and I can hook up the impact and or air chuck to fill up or change my tire.
2001, F250, 8''Lift, 38s, Gauges, 6637w/RRCover&ColdAirBox, CCVMod, ITPBoostAnnhilator, PolishedIntake, WarnHubs, AIHDelete, VanTurbo, PlenumReforincementInserts, 4''S.S.StraightPipe, FoilDelete, TuggerKit, CustomLadderBars(IBuilt), 4R100HD, DpTuner, TrainHorn, OnboardTankandPump, HutchAndHarpoonMod, 50CentMod... Some other stuff.... SOLD... Driving a Cummins now...
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter