Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 Fuel Millage, Real World+ V10 off road

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
PWJE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 Fuel Millage, Real World+ V10 off road

The only place ive been able to find that isnt just heresay is the Government estimates on the V10 Vans from ford

Id like to know what i can expect in the following situations out of a 6.8 V10 in a 2008-2010 body style truck crew cab short box in the following situations thanks

1) Winter VS Summer gas blends, unloaded 50 city 50 highway driving

2) Towing a 3,000lb trailer with approximately 5 tons on it, all highway

3) City Driving- light traffic, only stop and go is at lights

Also if anyone would like to key in i havens ever take a 10 cylinder off road but i have heard that because of the lighter weight than the diesel but the similar torque numbers that its really quite an animal off the road. Wondering if anyone has experience !

Thanks from a guy considering a V10 as his next rig

Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This engine is an animal off road, because its a high rev motor it can keep the torque up off road, I've taken my 2000 V10 F-250 off road and it doesnt stop if i keep my foot into it.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 AM
PWJE
Junior User
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
This engine is an animal off road, because its a high rev motor it can keep the torque up off road, I've taken my 2000 V10 F-250 off road and it doesnt stop if i keep my foot into it.

Ive never driven a 2v one. How is yours any problems or stuff like that

The 3v we have seriously just get oil changes pretty much. The reliability has been great.
Far above expectations

Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 AM
doofuss
Senior User
My Oregon truck is used mostly in the dunes and many times towing a 2500# trailer in the sand, and it Rules! For the reasons you mentioned , light weight (760 lbs less than the 6.4 smoker, all off the front end!!) and wide power band.

Plus 3v is a monster when you drop the pedal in 4-low.

Gas mileage think 10 ish . the worst is as a daily driver in stop and go traffic. It's not smart like the newer gas motors and doesn't shut off fuel so it has poor bladder control!!!. In these situations you can be down around 8 mpg. Towing not bad if you keep the speed down maybe 12 mpg @ 65. If you are trying to run 80 mph towing a ski boats with your diesel buddies on a 1,000 mile run to lake Powel prepare to get your **** kicked to the tune of 7.5 mpg. This is a lifted truck with big tires. Don't buy as a daily driver!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
PWJE
Junior User
Originally Posted by doofuss
My Oregon truck is used mostly in the dunes and many times towing a 2500# trailer in the sand, and it Rules! For the reasons you mentioned , light weight (760 lbs less than the 6.4 smoker, all off the front end!!) and wide power band.

Plus 3v is a monster when you drop the pedal in 4-low.

Gas mileage think 10 ish . the worst is as a daily driver in stop and go traffic. It's not smart like the newer gas motors and doesn't shut off fuel so it has poor bladder control!!!. In these situations you can be down around 8 mpg. Towing not bad if you keep the speed down maybe 12 mpg @ 65. If you are trying to run 80 mph towing a ski boats with your diesel buddies on a 1,000 mile run to lake Powel prepare to get your **** kicked to the tune of 7.5 mpg. This is a lifted truck with big tires. Don't buy as a daily driver!!!!!!!!!!
With the daily driver I may be sucked into getting that due to my trailering needs

I just really would be worried with the 5.4l v8 because the millage really isnt that much better and the power is way down form the v10

Hahha its a juggling game

I dont do a lotta miles so it will be a sting to the wallet but not to big of one

Old 11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I can give some insight! With mine, I drive approx. 50-75% highway and haven't got over 10. I drove probably 90% highway last week and got 14. I raced my buddy last night and just that alone dropped my average for the whole tank to 9.

These V10s can get "decent" fuel mileage if you don't use all 10 cylinders. Put your foot in it and watch the gas gauge drop... literally

I had the opportunity to buy a 5.4 over my V10. Similar miles, the 5.4 was a crew XLT and my V10 is an ext. H-D Edition. I couldn't see that truck only saving me $2000 so it was a pretty simple choice! Not to mention the 5.4 is only good for 1-2 more mpgs and 150 less ft lbs

Since my truck is a fairly rare truck, it will never see a lift, tires, or off road. I cant say for fuel mileage there!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM
PWJE
Junior User
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
I can give some insight! With mine, I drive approx. 50-75% highway and haven't got over 10. I drove probably 90% highway last week and got 14. I raced my buddy last night and just that alone dropped my average for the whole tank to 9.

These V10s can get "decent" fuel mileage if you don't use all 10 cylinders. Put your foot in it and watch the gas gauge drop... literally

I had the opportunity to buy a 5.4 over my V10. Similar miles, the 5.4 was a crew XLT and my V10 is an ext. H-D Edition. I couldn't see that truck only saving me $2000 so it was a pretty simple choice! Not to mention the 5.4 is only good for 1-2 more mpgs and 150 less ft lbs

Since my truck is a fairly rare truck, it will never see a lift, tires, or off road. I cant say for fuel mileage there!
Correct me if i am wrong, but i have heard that the way to really have decent millage in these trucks in city and suburban driving is when you gas it pretty decently than just let it roll
EX) light turns green, you give it the juice to a decent level, than just let it roll to the next light cause the inertia carries it

Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
My experience says accelerate normally. I don't goose it, I don't take off like a grandpa, just drive! I try not to pull out in front of someone so I don't have to hammer it and I don't drive with an egg on the pedal. I get high 10s this way compared to low 10s when I first bought the truck and "tried out" the V10

To better explain, when I drive, it shifts at around 2200 rpm

I don't see how hammering on it then driving normally will gain anything but Iv been wrong before!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM
PWJE
Junior User
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
My experience says accelerate normally. I don't goose it, I don't take off like a grandpa, just drive! I try not to pull out in front of someone so I don't have to hammer it and I don't drive with an egg on the pedal. I get high 10s this way compared to low 10s when I first bought the truck and "tried out" the V10

To better explain, when I drive, it shifts at around 2200 rpm

I don't see how hammering on it then driving normally will gain anything but Iv been wrong before!
I think thats a more region specific tip (from my uncle also) who said that when you dont hammer it but gas it up to speed than just let it roll its better.
I think his thought process is also based on how powerful the engine is, you get up to speed quick than you just dont use the gas anymore

He claims it works, idk i have such a bad letfoot that if i get a v10 the gas bill will cure real quick!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM
cole1996
Senior User
I've tried keeping Rpm's under 2K for a tank and got like 10.25mpg. Next tank I let it shift at 2500rpm (to me where it naturally wants to shift) and got 11.5 mpg. Which is all I can get with 50/50 around town and freeway driving.
I'm hoping to up that a little with a Y pipe and Exhaust maybe tomorrow I'll do it.

Idk about gassing it up to speed for better mileage I've just noticed the 4R100 tranny seems to have that "sweet spot" for shifting at 2400-2500rpm.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM
PWJE
Junior User
Originally Posted by cole1996
I've tried keeping Rpm's under 2K for a tank and got like 10.25mpg. Next tank I let it shift at 2500rpm (to me where it naturally wants to shift) and got 11.5 mpg. Which is all I can get with 50/50 around town and freeway driving.
I'm hoping to up that a little with a Y pipe and Exhaust maybe tomorrow I'll do it.

Idk about gassing it up to speed for better mileage I've just noticed the 4R100 tranny seems to have that "sweet spot" for shifting at 2400-2500rpm.
I mean i have also accepted that i will average about 10 mpg no matter what i do, its the nature of the beast.

Huge Motor moving a huge truck isnt gonna be beating a prius for fuel millage

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PWJE
I mean i have also accepted that i will average about 10 mpg no matter what i do, its the nature of the beast.

Huge Motor moving a huge truck isnt gonna be beating a prius for fuel millage
Pretty much.

My running average = 9.02
High=11.3
Low= 6.93

Dually that spends a lot of time towing. But even empty with a 20/80 city/highway commute, rarely do this, it's always in that 10mpg range. Thats why I have that beater car, 30mpgs and cost me $300.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
werdna65
New User
super truck

Originally Posted by PWJE
The only place ive been able to find that isnt just heresay is the Government estimates on the V10 Vans from ford

Id like to know what i can expect in the following situations out of a 6.8 V10 in a 2008-2010 body style truck crew cab short box in the following situations thanks

1) Winter VS Summer gas blends, unloaded 50 city 50 highway driving

2) Towing a 3,000lb trailer with approximately 5 tons on it, all highway

3) City Driving- light traffic, only stop and go is at lights

Also if anyone would like to key in i havens ever take a 10 cylinder off road but i have heard that because of the lighter weight than the diesel but the similar torque numbers that its really quite an animal off the road. Wondering if anyone has experience !

Thanks from a guy considering a V10 as his next rig
I went and looked at a truck about 65 miles from me and on the test drive thought Wow, power was crazy. I looked the truck over before the salesman came out and already knew some of the things to look for as problems, none of which bothered me much. Well I bought it and told him I needed to drive back to the house and get the wife so I could drive the old truck home, didn't think that far ahead. Well I filled up the tank and drove the 130 miles and was down to almost half a tank, I thought what did I buy I went from a dodge that got 12 mpg and no power to this that can't get past the same gas station twice. On the way home with both trucks I filled it again and figured the mileage, 13.4 mpg and I drive them like I stole it. All I can say is 13 mpg and power best money I have ever spent.
2000 V-10 auto, F350 4x4 SDuty, ford racing exhaust pipe and magnaflow muffler, EGR removed, buy it you can't go wrong!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get 10 in town and 14.5-15 on highway....what are you guys doing to get such terrible mileage?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 PM
cole1996
Senior User
My Crew Cab Short Bed weighs 8000lbs on a scale, thats why I'm only getting 11...

Plus 99 F250's I believe shared frames with the F350 for that model year alone. Which makes it heavier.

Quick Reply: V10 Fuel Millage, Real World+ V10 off road