Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Elder User

90pioneer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Low fuel pressure because of cold weather or something else?

2003 F250, 125k, Riffraff fuel rail cross over, strictly diesel hutch mod with pre pump Baldwin water/fuel separator installed less than 10k miles ago. Factory fuel filter is 12k miles old, I looked at it 500 miles ago and it looked brand new.

My fuel pressure usually sits at 72PSI. The sending unit is hooked up after the factory fuel filter. The weather in Alaska has been hovering around 0*F, give or take 10*. My fuel pressure has dropped 10PSI to about 60-62. When I get on the accelerator, the fuel pressure drops even to about 50lbs, setting off the warning light on my gauge. Before this it never used to vary more than 5 to 8 PSI from 72 when it idled.

Could this be attributed to the cold weather, or should I try replacing my filters? Maybe I got a ****ty batch of fuel that clogged the filters?
2003 F250 7.3 Lariat, 116k miles, FX4, automatic. Mods: on board air, hutch/harpoon, FRX, coolant filter, Isspro EV2 & Aeroforce gauges, RDS aux tank, Lightforce lamps, aux idle controller, Riffraff 6637, 4" MBRP exhaust, DP Tuner, Wolverine heaters, and a bunch of other crap
Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
I would start with the filters and see if that changes anything. I think 62 psi isn't bad that is what I have mine running at 62-65psi but getting down to 50 psi is not such a good sign. I would bet a fresh set of filters will do the trick.
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world and I am a happy guy"
E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 215k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Are you using an anti-gelling additive in the fuel?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Could be the cold weather and a little bit of gelling going on. Usually a bad tank of fuel will plug filters instead of just dropping pressure a little bit.

Does the fuel rail crossover return warm fuel back to the tank? If so, does the issue get any better after it has ran for a while?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Are you using an anti-gelling additive in the fuel?
I am not currently using an antigelling additive. Decent ones up here are hard to find and expensive.

I am going to park in a heated garage tonight and see if that makes a difference.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
This same thing happened to me after doing hutch and FRx. My truck doesn't see cold weather in South Texas, so take that for what it's worth. My pressure drops to 40psi on WOT runs. Started at 63psi idle right after mod, now lucky to see 56psi at idle.

I have bypassed the Baldwin... no change.
Replaced fuel filter in bowl...no change
Blew lines out and checked for kinks...no change.
Replaced fuel pump...no change

I'm just going to live with it or pull of the FRx. I checked the regulator spring, and it is properly installed. My belief that this is a good mod is dwindling
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 245k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
This same thing happened to me after doing hutch and FRx. My truck doesn't see cold weather in South Texas, so take that for what it's worth. My pressure drops to 40psi on WOT runs. Started at 63psi idle right after mod, now lucky to see 56psi at idle.

I have bypassed the Baldwin... no change.
Replaced fuel filter in bowl...no change
Blew lines out and checked for kinks...no change.
Replaced fuel pump...no change

I'm just going to live with it or pull of the FRx. I checked the regulator spring, and it is properly installed. My belief that this is a good mod is dwindling
You probably put in the wrong spring, or put the spring in incorrectly.

My fuel pressure was fine, had all these mods on for 10k miles and have been gtg until the weather got super cold.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 AM