Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Winter Time! Stancor GPR Install (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter Time! Stancor GPR Install (PICS)

The GPR on my truck quit the other week (of course in the cold) and now it's time to replace it with the Stancor GPR. Before you start disconnect both batteries!

I ordered mine from Mouser Electronics. Here is everything it comes with:

Bad GPR

Old GPR next to the Stancor GPR

Here is the Stancor GPR installed. Getting it lined up on the threads is a little hard so I loosened the two AIH Relay nuts and slid the Stancor mounting tabs underneath. Hook everything back and you should be good to go.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks nice. Great pics. You may want to get some liquid electrical tape and fix that hot lead boot. I have to do this as well. Mine is worse than yours.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Originally Posted by HKusp
Looks nice. Great pics. You may want to get some liquid electrical tape and fix that hot lead boot. I have to do this as well. Mine is worse than yours.
Thanks. Truck fired first start and has been sitting for 3 days.

Liquid electrical tape? Sounds awesome. I was gonna use standard electrical tape but not sure how effective that would work. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but is the liquid electrical tape like a glue?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Where do you get the Liquid electrical tape at Jason? I've heard of that but never seen it. Did mine on the road last year but used the OME one because that's all I could find.

Chet

Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did the stancor relay come with a warranty?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
It isn't like a glue as much as it's like a quick drying plastic I guess. I got mine at Home Depot. The first place I ever saw it was in a marine supply store like West Marine.

Liquid electrical tape click here

Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Originally Posted by diehardstroker
did the stancor relay come with a warranty?
Not that I'm aware of.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Km1210
Not that I'm aware of.
thats the only reason I decided to go with the gpr109 from napa cause its got a 3 year warranty, and what ive heard is they typically go out before the warranty is up

Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

Is there a way you can get a picture or type what it says on the band of the relay? Or the part number would help since i want to see if it is the same relay that is in one of my jobs units.

AJ

Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Km1210
Elder User
Originally Posted by diehardstroker
thats the only reason I decided to go with the gpr109 from napa cause its got a 3 year warranty, and what ive heard is they typically go out before the warranty is up
Well that's the reason I didn't go with another OEM or Napa relay, they are usually guaranteed to fail within a year or two (from my experiences anyway).

I can hopefully forget about having to put another relay in for as long as I own the truck with the Stancor relay.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Originally Posted by Liquid10Rider
Is there a way you can get a picture or type what it says on the band of the relay? Or the part number would help since i want to see if it is the same relay that is in one of my jobs units.

AJ
Here you go.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 469 Likes on 323 Posts
This is a timely write up for me. I put in a replacement GPR last year, and it's always hummed a bit as it operates. Today, I was under the hood disconnecting the electrical connector to the turbo wastegate solenoid, to see if it would set a hard CEL (it doesnt!). My key was on, and i noticed the always-hot post got literally smoking hot during key on - I watched a ribbon of smoke come off the rubber boot over it, yet the glow plug post was cool. I thought I just had a loose connection, but they are all tight. I think the relay is not making good contact internally to the bat post, causing excessive heat.

Got the Stancor (White Rodgers) contactor coming from Mouser now.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 AM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I love mine so far. We did one on my truck and one on my friends at the same time. Both trucks have been firing right up with the cooler weather moving into PA. I searched high and low for a replacement terminal boot because mine was falling apart worse then the OP. I finally found something on eBay it's not perfect fit but works well enough to keep that terminal protected.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Km1210
Elder User
Originally Posted by BWST
This is a timely write up for me. I put in a replacement GPR last year, and it's always hummed a bit as it operates. Today, I was under the hood disconnecting the electrical connector to the turbo wastegate solenoid, to see if it would set a hard CEL (it doesnt!). My key was on, and i noticed the always-hot post got literally smoking hot during key on - I watched a ribbon of smoke come off the rubber boot over it, yet the glow plug post was cool. I thought I just had a loose connection, but they are all tight. I think the relay is not making good contact internally to the bat post, causing excessive heat.

Got the Stancor (White Rodgers) contactor coming from Mouser now.
Good for you Jeff.

Have you looked into doing the GPR LED mod?

Originally Posted by kefrko
I love mine so far. We did one on my truck and one on my friends at the same time. Both trucks have been firing right up with the cooler weather moving into PA. I searched high and low for a replacement terminal boot because mine was falling apart worse then the OP. I finally found something on eBay it's not perfect fit but works well enough to keep that terminal protected.
Glad you are having good luck with your's too. The OEM and Napa relay's are ticking time bombs and love to fail as soon as the colder weather moves in.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 469 Likes on 323 Posts
Hey Kyle,

I toyed with the GPR LED idea, but decided to watch the voltage a bit closer instead and picked up a charging system monitor:

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive

It's got enough resolution that I can see when the glow plugs start and stop. When the camper is on, I move it to a cig lighter socket I have over the door, wired direct to my house batts, and it does a good job monitoring those.

Quick Reply: Winter Time! Stancor GPR Install (PICS)