Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Tool Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Fordman65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool Questions

Well, in about a week I'll be finishing my last class of college and graduating this august but here's the background story first- I started on restoring our old farm fuel truck (65 F-250 4x4) my senior year in High School and that project has been put on the back burner for the last four years, now that I'm done with school, ITS TIME TO BUY TOOLS AND GET STARTED! I'm looking forward to eventually doing a frame up restoration on it, but I need to figure out what I'm going to start out with for tools. I'd really like some high quality tools that I"m truly going to enjoy for a lifetime - for this reason I"m leaning towards snap-on - I really like their ratchets a lot better (not too crazy about craftsman's plastic direction reverser) but I'm also on somewhat of a budget and I'm deffinitly open to options - and Craftsman is not exactly a K-mart special either! I've been toying with buying Snap-on tools and maybe a craftsman tool box to save some money where maybe it isn't as important? Or any other suggestions for starting out? like buying sets verses just what I should have to get started? ANY INFO HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Like I said, I'm open to all the options, I think I might be able to drop possibly 3-4 thousand to get started within the next year or two, but where I go from there is questionable. I really want a complete high end set eventually but getting there seems a long way off - since my wish list will eventually include an Engine lift, parts washer, maybe bead blaster, welder etc...(more in the long long term there, but essential for finishing my project the *right way* which really adds up to some $$$ quick! My employment outlook isn't all that great either (Airline Pilot) so its a flight instructor salary for a while - then regional which isn't much better, at least until the industry picks up again, so thats a consideration too - maybe I'll go back to school at UTI or Wyo tech! lol. Always been my other passion anyway...(hard to let go of that Ag/mechanic background!) Crossing my fingers I'll find decent employment (in my field of study) and that I can find some good tools anyway! Sorry this got so long and thanks for reading this far! Thanks for any info too!!

-Aaron

Old 06-22-2003, 11:32 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Tool Questions

I've worked as a mechanic before, and I own quite a few Snap-On and Craftsman tools.

The problem with Snap-On is this: if you break one, it can be a pain to get a replacement. Usually, you'll buy the tool off of the Snap-On guy and his truck. Every week he comes by your shop to see if anybody needs anything. If you need a replacement, you have to argue with him to get it, since it pretty much comes out of his pocket. With Craftsman/Sears, if you break one, you just head to the nearest Sears, grab the nearest cash-register goon, and tell him you want a new one. Done. No argument.

As far as Snap-On tools go, they are probably the best by a longshot. I have a set of wrenches that are AWESOME - they've got some sort of teeth built in or something that keeps you from rounding off bolts. No bolt is safe from me if I've got one of those wrenches in my hand! However, the set of maybe 10 wrenches was about $300. Compare that to a very similar polished wrench set from Craftsman for $70. Same warranty. $230 difference.

Here's my recommendation: for the stuff you'll use a lot (wrenches, ratchets, etc.), buy high quality (Craftsman usually has 2-3 "grades"; buy the most expensive) tools like Snap-On, Mac, or High end Craftsman. For everything else, I head straight to Pep Boys (yep - I said it). Whenever I need that one odd impact socket or funky attachment, nobody can beat Pep Boys' Stanley tools. For example: a 19mm impact socket from Snap-On =$20, Craftsman=$7, Pep Boys= $3.50. They all look the same to me. If I was a pro mechanic, then I'd buy all high end gear since it's my livelihood. But while I'm young (21 years old), poor, and in college, I'll settle for the cheap stuff.

XXL

Old 06-23-2003, 12:10 AM
rander101
Senior User
Wink Tool Questions

Aaron:

One place you might want to check if you are on a limited tool budget is eBay. Over the past year I have had good luck buying a lot of tools there. Right now there seems to be a deluge of Craftsman socket sets, ratchet wrenches and other wrenches going at reasonable costs. It is not unusual to see a set that would sell retail for $50 being bought at $15-$20. I've collected 3 good torque wrenches covering the range from a few in/lbs to 250 ft/lbs for less that $50 total. Also don't be struck on SnapOn or Craftsman. Proto, Matco and some others are good for DIYers who don't use them daily. You do have to be careful and check who you are buying from and know what the tools are worth so you don't pay too much. Good luck and good hunting.

Russ A
'84 F250 351W

Old 06-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Fordman65
Senior User
Tool Questions

One More thing - I don't want to start any snap-on / craftsman or mac wars or anything - just wondering whats working for some others out there - but I'm also willing to wait and get what I really want, what's going to last me, and what I'll enjoy for a lifetime. If all goes well I won't be turning that one ratchet only twice a year, could even be a backup career, who knows?? I would also consider putting my big ambitions (with the truck anyway) on hold for a little while so I can save for some tools. This is more important to me than throwing a lot of money at it at this point - if I have the tools I can tinker with the cheaper mechanical things for a little while, then get on with some heavier work, ie trans, engine, paint etc. I'll just have to see what the cash flow is going to look like over the next couple years and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the input!

-Aaron

Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Tool Questions

Use the search function. There are a lot of tool discussions here to read.

Old 06-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Tool Questions

i would go with mac tools. i have found them to be cheaper than snap-on with the same or better quility.that and what someone said about snap-on not wanting to replace broken tools is correct
the guy where i live is a pain to deal with.i really like the mac guy though never had a problem with him.i would also look at blackhawk tools made by mac,they are high quality also.

being how you are just starting off with tools i would buy only impact stuff.like the sockets they don't break as easy and you can use them for anything.the shiny tools are not supposed to be used with a impact.when you go to buy a compressor make sure it's not an oilless set up. go for one that has a belt driven compressor they are much much much more quite.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:28 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Lightbulb Tool Questions

First off, congrats on finishing your 4 year degree!!! What's your major? I'm only 45% of the way through for my BSME.

Yea, no need to start a tool namebrand war. (Though 98% of mine are Craftsman.) Not every brand will have every tool that you will need.

Ditto, on Eric's search reccomendation. Tons of valuable and enlightening info here!!!

Here's some things to think about.

1) Ebay is not always the best price but generally you can find some great namebrand tool deals there. (I have.) Also, if you buy online and out of state you won't have to pay sales tax. For example sales tax in OK is about 8%. Imagine paying/saving $160 on $2000 worth of tools, or $320 on $4000 !

2) Consider the history of the company that is selling and backing the tools with the lifetime warranties. Do you see Sears going out of business during your lifetime? What about Snap-on, Matco, Lowes, Home Depot, Builders Square, etc. (Whoops, Builders Square went out of business a couple years ago. See what I mean.) If you get tools from a company that might go out of business during your lifetime and you need a replacement, then you are out of luck.

3) Consider buying a good used set from professional auto mechanics. I see huge sets with tool boxes advertised in the newspapers fairly often. Maybe after perusing the sellers tools,
you could flash some cash and get a lower price on the tools.

Old 06-23-2003, 09:52 PM
jim_of_oz
Junior User
Tool Questions

If I was a pro doing this stuff every day for a living, I'd probably go with Snap-on. Since I'm just a weekender, I usually go with Craftsman -- usually the Professional series if there's a choice. I've had real good luck with Craftsman stuff. For example, today I had a 3/8" drive Craftsman nut remover socket (BTW, those REALLY work well) with a 3/8" to 1/2" converter, and 1/2" drive extension bar and a two foot piece of pipe and braced myself against the frame and pulled for all I'm worth (I'm 6' - 220 BTW) and nothing gave -- however eventually the nut did.

I'm also not above buying a $3 wrench set or $1 chisel from Big Lots for those odd abusive jobs where I wouldn't want a good tool to come to early ruin.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:00 PM
1pump
Tuned
Tool Questions

I'd have to agree that Snap-On is the best, but I really resent being hassled on warranties when they charge so much for their products. A good tool dealer will exchange your broken tool with a smile if he wants your repeat business.
I have a fair amount of Snap-On stuff, including some tools that I bought used from people that were hard up for cash or who weren't using them any more. I also have a lot of Craftsman, Proto, SK, and Blackhawk tools.
As long as you buy USA-made tools, you can't go wrong. I wouldn't pop for Snap-On unless you plan on wrenching full-time and the Snap-Off truck is coming by every week. The 3 or 4 thousand you mentioned will barely get you in the door of a Snap-On truck. Mac is almost as bad. I'd consider Matco, SK, or Cornwell. Craftsman is cool 'cuz there's Sears stores everywhere.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Tool Questions

forgot to mention in my earlier post about napa tools.they are some of the best i have. and for when you use that screw driver for a pry bar don't worry about it just stop by pick up your parts and exchange it.
buy the way i have busted mac and snap on ratchets before but still have broken the napa ratchet.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:22 PM
cajunbull61
Senior User
Tool Questions

When you decide on what you want to purchase, check out some local pawn shops. If you know what you want and are familiar with the retail prices you can get some real good deals. If you buy Craftsman you can still exchange them at Sears. Often times you can get tool boxes with assorted tools and some sell loose wrenches and sockets etc so you can pick and choose what you want. Also be on the lookout for specialty tools that be a good bargain.

cajunbull61

Old 06-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tool Questions

Being a tech for a living I buy almost all Snap On. Our dealer here will never argue about warranty. You break it, he replaces it. Of course some things arent covered forever like electrical test equipment and air tools.
We have had a few Mac dealers in the past but the service from them was terrible. I also find that most of their tools dont feel good to me but that's personal preference.
We only have a Sears catalog store here. They have to order everything
As for buying good tools and a cheap box I dont think that's a good idea. I've got a cheap box at home and it drives me nuts....drawers hard to open, isnt very stable etc.
Most of the guys in our shop just have roll cabs with no top box. That way you can use the top as a work bench. And make sure you get roller drawer slides. It makes a big difference.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:26 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Thumbs up Tool Questions

Originally posted by Racerguy
Most of the guys in our shop just have roll cabs with no top box. That way you can use the top as a work bench. And make sure you get roller drawer slides. It makes a big difference.
Agreed. Sears has a killer roll cab available for $619 or so - 36" wide, 6 full length drawers (gotta love those huge drawers), ball bearing slides, and the way-cool drawer lock lift latch things. Snap-on uses these plastic things that you push to the side when you open the drawer. The Craftsman ones are solid steel, and you lift them slightly up. I want that toolbox bad!

XXL

Old 06-25-2003, 12:19 PM
terabyte
New User
Tool Questions

Although not written for Fords this information is still very good for beginners looking for what tools to buy and of what quality. Tells you what it's worth spending your money on and what you can go cheap with.
Buying guide

Craftsman has been offering "Professional" Series tools that are much better then their regular line; screwdrivers, combo-wrenches, and ratchets are some of the ones that have impressed me enough to stick with Craftsman. Kobalt tools sold at Lowes initially were very impressive but what I see coming out now isn’t. Home Depot with it’s Husky brand warrantees some items for life that other don’t such as torque wrenches and air tools.

No affiliation with anyone just found this information helpful and thought other would appreciate.

These are some of the tools on my wishlist.
terabyte's wish list

BTW this is a repost of a post I made in Miata.net
link

Here are some other links I have found pretty helpful.

This a torque wrench writeup i did.
A couple of Aircompressors I'm looking into.
http://www.hotrod.com/tipstricks/42178/index.html
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/41998/index.html
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/53940/index.html
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/84183/index.html
http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_jacks1.html

Enjoy

Old 07-04-2003, 09:51 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tool Questions

I don't care what they pay those race car drivers who do the Sears ads, but I think craftsman wrenches are clunky and akward. Yeah, they guaruntee them but what comfort is that when you have to keep running down to the store with bleeding knuckles to get a new ratchet. Snap on and Mac are the best(I prefer Mac for most stuff) but you don't need that stuff right now. The first thing you need is a decent air compressor, and don't get one of those direct drive oil-less ones if you have to work in the same room with it, they are noisy. As for hand tools, I would find a store that handles S-K tools. They are the best for the money and warranty is good but you will never find out because they don't break. And I prefer their rachets because of the tooth count. Also get a harbor freight catalog. They have smokin deals all the time on the cheapo tools, for anything that will be used on once in a great while(like pullers) and also specials on Sets like Vicegrip, Channel lock ect. Be careful with those aforementioned wrenches with teeth in them. I had a got a set off the Snap-on truck when they fisrt came out. They do work but they kind of chew everything up, and leave a nut that looks like you got after it with vice grips.
Sometimes sets are a better deal, but weigh the difference, especially on expensive things like wobbly impacts. There will be several in a set that you will rarely if ever use. And make sure you have all the sizes covered with 6 point sockets for tearing down. This will avoid rounded off fasteners and minimize bleeding.

Last edited by willowbilly3; 07-04-2003 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Tool Questions