Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sleeping Platform for Camper Top

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Music Homestead
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sleeping Platform for Camper Top

After looking through internet-land at homemade sleeping platforms, I came up up with this design.

Most of the designs around the web were quite awesome, but limited the ability to use the truck as, well, a truck. I wanted to still be able to use my truck to haul mulch or gravel or whatever without having to spend half a day disassembling my camping setup.

My requirements were:

Structurally sturdy
Large enough to fit a queen air mattress
Enough head space to move around
Lightweight/easy disassembly
Minimal storage footprint

Here's my truck. A 1997 F350 crew cab long bed. And no, it's not diesel.

The only materials I bought for this project were 2 sheets of 23/32 plywood. Everything else I had on hand or was scrap from work.

Here are the two sections of the platform. The front section is 64" x 48", and the back section is 64" x 32". 64" is the opening size of my tailgate, and the two sections together give me 80", enough to get my queen size airbed in. On the front section I have a 2x4 that comes about 10" in and runs the width of the platform. At the end of the front section the 2x4 had to fit between the wheel wells and only half of it is attached the first section; the rear section will sit on the lip of this 2x4. The rear section has a 2x4 at the extreme rear. I took a hole saw and drilled holes to fit the pipes I was going to use as legs. I cut the legs the same height as the wheel wells so that I could have maximum headroom and also allow the wheel wells to support the platform. I cut another piece of plywood to make a little door to fit on the back of the rear section. I put a couple hinges and a handle on it and screwed in on the rear section. A bit of scrap carpet to cover it all up and that's it.

Here is the first section in the truck.

To keep the first and second section from coming apart, I put eye hooks into the 2x4 in the rear section and the rear 2x4 of the front section and put in a bungee cord.

The end result was surprisingly sturdy. After a weekend of camping it proved to be a wonderful way to sleep. It was easier to set up and take down than a tent.

Here it is broke down against the wall in my garage. Takes about 15 minutes to put it in, 15 minutes to get it out, and it doesn't take up a whole lot of room.

The drawback of this system compared to others is the lack of storage underneath the platform. With only about 8" of clearance under the platform, a suitcase or large items cannot be stored. Since I have a crew cab, it didn't bother me to put supplies and luggage in the backseat. There is 18" from the end of the platform to the tailgate that allows me to store things, and is also nice for sitting up and putting shoes on without having to open the tailgate.

Overall, I thought this system fit my needs well, so figured I would share it since I hadn't seen others quite like it.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty nice, Thanks for posting it. Now you just need to market it LOL.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 AM
boonslick
Elder User
Platform

Originally Posted by Music Homestead
After looking through internet-land at homemade sleeping platforms, I came up up with this design.

Most of the designs around the web were quite awesome, but limited the ability to use the truck as, well, a truck. I wanted to still be able to use my truck to haul mulch or gravel or whatever without having to spend half a day disassembling my camping setup.

My requirements were:

Structurally sturdy
Large enough to fit a queen air mattress
Enough head space to move around
Lightweight/easy disassembly
Minimal storage footprint

Here's my truck. A 1997 F350 crew cab long bed. And no, it's not diesel.

The only materials I bought for this project were 2 sheets of 23/32 plywood. Everything else I had on hand or was scrap from work.

Here are the two sections of the platform. The front section is 64" x 48", and the back section is 64" x 32". 64" is the opening size of my tailgate, and the two sections together give me 80", enough to get my queen size airbed in. On the front section I have a 2x4 that comes about 10" in and runs the width of the platform. At the end of the front section the 2x4 had to fit between the wheel wells and only half of it is attached the first section; the rear section will sit on the lip of this 2x4. The rear section has a 2x4 at the extreme rear. I took a hole saw and drilled holes to fit the pipes I was going to use as legs. I cut the legs the same height as the wheel wells so that I could have maximum headroom and also allow the wheel wells to support the platform. I cut another piece of plywood to make a little door to fit on the back of the rear section. I put a couple hinges and a handle on it and screwed in on the rear section. A bit of scrap carpet to cover it all up and that's it.

Here is the first section in the truck.

To keep the first and second section from coming apart, I put eye hooks into the 2x4 in the rear section and the rear 2x4 of the front section and put in a bungee cord.

The end result was surprisingly sturdy. After a weekend of camping it proved to be a wonderful way to sleep. It was easier to set up and take down than a tent.

Here it is broke down against the wall in my garage. Takes about 15 minutes to put it in, 15 minutes to get it out, and it doesn't take up a whole lot of room.

The drawback of this system compared to others is the lack of storage underneath the platform. With only about 8" of clearance under the platform, a suitcase or large items cannot be stored. Since I have a crew cab, it didn't bother me to put supplies and luggage in the backseat. There is 18" from the end of the platform to the tailgate that allows me to store things, and is also nice for sitting up and putting shoes on without having to open the tailgate.

Overall, I thought this system fit my needs well, so figured I would share it since I hadn't seen others quite like it.
A very good example of ingenuity. Good job!

Boon

Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 PM
892504x4
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts
Sharing My Setup

Wanted to throw another idea in.
2x10 notched for 2x4 for the base

OSB cut and shaped to fit snug

platform together just laying there no screws with drawer under

Drawer partially out

We also have some carpet we lay on top of this then throw our sleep number bed in and go.
I want to get a canopy similar to the OP

Last edited by 892504x4; 03-16-2020 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Replacing Photos
Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the wife just told me I cant do this to my plow truck and keep my contract with the city in good standing... Like the posts anyways~

Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good ideas!

I wanna make something to inside my camper cap. Mine has a full man door in the back though, and the back wall is solid, so don't need to make mine to come out easily.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM
boonslick
Elder User
Platform in Camper Cap

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Good ideas!

I wanna make something to inside my camper cap. Mine has a full man door in the back though, and the back wall is solid, so don't need to make mine to come out easily.

Hello and good morning.

I have a new Cab-High Snugtop Shell and I will use a different setup for the platform. I will purchase (8) 1" x 12"s. I have some small brass hinges that I will install to each 1" x 12" with the first set nearest the cab on top of the wood and then the next set will be under the 1" x 12" and then alternate the placement of the hinges; top then bottom.

Picture a Z and using this application I will be able to fold up as many as necessary for what I am doing. This will provide ample storage under the platform and by "closing" them ample room for hauling.

Take care

Boon