Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Junior User

jes01srw350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
brake or bearing our other issue

I heard my rear passenger side rotor grinding So I figured it was just the brakes but strange since my rear are newer than the front. Yesterday I put it in reverse and traveled 5 ft then it felt like the brake locked up hard put it drive and it moves freely. Now every time it goes in reverse it locks up either right away our after 5 to 10 ft . Truck has 204k on the original rear bearings, that same side has 1 broken leaf in the leaf spring. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance thank you!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Too old to be too smart..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Could it be your E-brake system? Sometimes things break inside, and cause things to make noise and/or bind up.

Start taking things apart. You'll find the cause.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
Could be one bolt fell off the bracket and the whole thing wedges in the wheel.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Junior User

I've been told that the e brake needs to be on In order for the diesel heater in the bowl to work it got down to 25 degrees in Dallas the other day so I put it on other than that I don't use it ever for fear that it would freeze up on the rotors. I'll have to check in the bolts tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior User

Reckless is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatthews View Post
That happened to me last year. Sounded just like what's being described. Thought it just a worn pad at first. Plus had one of the brake pads fall apart pushing the pistons against the rotor.

Climb under or better yet pull the tire there and give it a good inspection for such things.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes01srw350 View Post
I've been told that the e brake needs to be on In order for the diesel heater in the bowl to work...
The story you heard is askew: You need the parking brake on a manual-transmission truck to get the Air Intake Heater to work. The AIH is not needed to run, it's just for improved emissions at idle in cold climates. I live not far from the Canadian border (it gets colder than Texas here), and I yanked that AIH out long ago without issue.

Now... your parking brake is likely seized. There is an actuator lever in there that rusts up something fierce, and setting the parking brake can make it jam. All your brakes are disc, but the parking brake is drum. Sound stupid? Have a look:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Posting Guru

clem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatthews View Post
My vote is for this. If the this is what happened and the caliper has worn a groove in the wheel replace the wheel as part of the repair. There was a recent thread in which a member had a wheel seperate at speed on teh freeway with a camper in the bed several years after he had a caliper bolt fall out and the caliper wore a groove in the rim.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Junior User

Luckily I have my work Truck to drive this week so I can stay safe and tackle this repair this weekend. Thank you all again this site is awesome!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 PM