Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Elder User

90pioneer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Baldwin BF1212 prepump water separator and freezing conditions

Going to be dropping down to 0 and below this week. I have the Strictly Diesel hutch mod kit with a Baldwin prepump fuel/water separator filter installed.

If I happen to get a crappy batch of diesel and it fills up with water, which then freezes, would the filter keep my truck from starting? Or is the filter designed that fuel would still flow? I'm wondering if I should keep a spare filter on hand.
2003 F250 7.3 Lariat, 116k miles, FX4, automatic. Mods: on board air, hutch/harpoon, FRX, coolant filter, Isspro EV2 & Aeroforce gauges, RDS aux tank, Lightforce lamps, aux idle controller, Riffraff 6637, 4" MBRP exhaust, DP Tuner, Wolverine heaters, and a bunch of other crap
Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
When I had a filter there, I kept a spare. My fuel pressure with the big sticks told me the pre-filter was too much restriction.

I changed to this:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Senior User

CGMKCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CGMKCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The water level would have to fill the outer bowl to block all flow through the filter. I do not think a by-pass is installed or would work.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Rich, was it the filter causing the restriction or the whole assy?
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The water would have to fill the outer area of the filter before fuel would be restricted. You can run isopropyl alcohol (a.k.a. heat and other brand names) to traverse water through the fuel system if you suspect a bad fuel load.

The best bet is to drain the filter / water separator now and anytime you think there is a bad fuel load. I would also keep a spare filter for the "just in case" need.

Don't change it unless you need to because it puts air in the fuel system.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
If you run a good fuel additive with cold-flow enhancement properties, then you should have no worries about freezing.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 11-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 View Post
Rich, was it the filter causing the restriction or the whole assy?
I am comfortable in saying it was the filter. The plumbing hardware (except for the filter head) is all the same. The filter head has no restriction to it at such low flows as this.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
New User

luvatruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also installed the same hutch mod kit myself because my fuel bowl was constantly full of junk (mainly sand, rusty etc.). I had gotten a bad tank of fuel. Dropping the tank and cleaning it out did the trick. However, there is still residual crud in my fuel lines even though I have run multiple tanks of fuel. I am convinced that Bio-Diesel is what will cause this to happen. Nonetheless, any time it drops below about 15 degrees, my truck constantly gels up. I have just filled the tank and even put fuel preventative additive in it. I am convinced that the little plastic filter is causing restriction on the tank. More specifically, I think that the reason it is causing restriction is due to a residue from Bio-Diesel and residual crud in the lines. The filter is so small that although the diesel may not freeze, even minimal crud inside that tiny filter is enough to cause restriction. My tuck starts no problem, but will constantly start to gel up after about 10 minutes or less of driving. It also idles fine. I will replace the filter in the spring with the racor unless you guys think my problem is elsewhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My father has the baldwin in his 02 F250 (I installed it). He hauls RVs to dealers from the factory and has had many problems with it, mainly when it is -10F and lower. He also has to fill up in many different locations across the country and cannot know how each stop keeps their tanks.

I've had my Baldwin 1212 in longer than he has and never had a problem. There is a new filter there now because of other issues (it was a troubleshooting step), but there is a water / crud filter there.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Elder User

I plan on putting all my filters in a box under the bed. I have a coolant and pre-pump fuel, I plan on adding a bypass oil and trans filter in an under bed box. I will do a write up when I do it for the truck in my sig.

Box will hang just in front of the wheels, behind the cab.
Darrell, PAA#131

Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM