Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 F150 XL Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:29 PM
mefast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Puddy
Nice looking car, whatcha think about the 15?
Its growing on me, but still not sold on the grille and lower valence. They'll likely have packages with different options though.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
mefast
Senior User
After filling up on gas tonight, I decided to calculate my mileage. Apparently I'm getting 10.8 MPG. Not great my any means, but it's a starting point. That number is from mostly city driving (90%) and the truck has almost 330,000 km on it along with a high idle. Hopefully if I can get it back up to around 14 MPG (like it should according the the fuel economy website) I'd be happy.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
mefast
Senior User
Has anyone installed this y-pipe cat: http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...view/make/ford

I've always been more of a Borla fan, but it looks solid and the stainless steel is always nice. If so, what mufflers should I use to avoid any drone?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
mefast
Senior User
Well I pulled the trigger and bought it:

Any one have pictures of what plugs into the AIR tube?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by mefast
Well I pulled the trigger and bought it

Any one have pictures of what plugs into the AIR tube?
Nice! I just bought the magnaflow y pipe for my 302. For my A.I.R. tube I know it needs to be extended so Im gonna need to purchase some rubber hose with steel clamps but thats all I know as its just sitting in my basment waiting for warmer weather.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
mefast
Senior User
I'm waiting for some warmer weather too. Good to know about the rubber hose. I need to get some hose for some vacuum lines, so I'll get some high temp ones for this while I'm at it too.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM
mefast
Senior User
Does anyone have any information on the red truck in these pictures? I like the stance and style of it and planning to build mine based on it.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM
mefast
Senior User
Yesterday while running some errands I noticed the temp gauge getting really hot. I turned the vent on high heat and limped it home. Having replaced the thermostat about a month ago I assumed that the fluid was just a little low and the traffic jam I was in caused it. So I added some coolant and water. Today however it was heating up a lot again, but turning the vent on high just blew cold air into the cab. I pulled over and immediately noticed coolant dripping. Around the thermostat housing is dry, but the water pump looked like the source of the problem. I went and bought a water pump, but haven't started into the fix yet. Does all of this sound right? Is there anything else I should be checking?

I'm planning on starting on this tomorrow as my girlfriend said I wasn't thinking straight and need to take today to chill out.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked to make sure there isn't any pinholes in the radiator hoses? I would have looked there first but now that you have the water pump get new hoses too.
By the way nice build thread.
Trav

Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM
mefast
Senior User
Trav,
Thanks for the tip about the hoses. I will be sure to check into them as well.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I can't be positive, but from what I see of the front suspension, it looks to have cut and turned front beams and I would guess a 4 inch lift. It also appears to have a very bent rear axle...

Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM
mefast
Senior User
Just a progress update: a month or so ago I got a new windshield installed so now it is leak free. Also nice to not have a million tiny stone chips to look through.

Last week I got the new exhaust system installed. It's a stainless Magnaflow y-pipe, muffler and tip.

The kicker with the new exhaust is three codes and a check engine lights. The codes are 311, 332 and 411. It looks like I'm going to be getting very familiar with the vacuum system. I'll start with the vacuum reservoir as it seems that is the source of a lot of other people getting these codes.

The next big purchase will be some summer tires. I'm thinking of some BFGoodrich All-Terrian T/A KOs. I bought some paint to make the spare rims looks a bit better too.

Also here's my car ready for some sumnertime track days and road trips:

Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Hansen13
Junior User
Mefast, where did you order the exhaust from? Looks awesome! Would love to put something like that on my 4.9 it's hard to find anything like that for the truck.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 PM
mefast
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hansen13
Mefast, where did you order the exhaust from? Looks awesome! Would love to put something like that on my 4.9 it's hard to find anything like that for the truck.
Most of the big pieces I picked up from my local Car Quest. The Y-pipe is Magnaflow part number 93302. The muffler is aTurbo XL universal fit. As for the tip, I found that on kijiji. Then I went to a local exhaust parts dealer (Exhaust Direct) for some 2.25" stainless tubing, a mandrel bent 45 degree elbow and some hangers. Basically I sourced a custom setup and got a local shop to cut and weld it into place.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM
mefast
Senior User
I haven't done a lot of work on the truck lately, but figured I'd chime in on it still. I've been doing more mental planning compared to actual work, although I did hit up the junk yard last week for some parts. The main ones being a vacuum reservoir (hopefully fix at least one of my codes), new tailgate straps and a new rearview mirror (my current one is loose). If I can get the truck to survive the winter, I'll start implementing my 5 year plan on it.

Here it is:
Year 1 - Fix the rotted frame members (under box and the radiator support)
Year 2 - Fix the suspension and brakes (get rid of the lean and squeeks)
Year 3 - Add Ecoboost (this might be a 2 year job, but I want to replace my tired 4.9l with either the 2.0l or 2.3l Ecoboost - yes, I wany a 4 banger turbo'd F150. I'm going for a lightweight daily driver since my girlfriend has a brand new 2014 F150 FX4. I'll post some pictures soon)
Year 4 - Finish the engine swap and make sure all of the systems work together (electrical, fuel, driveline, etc)
Year 5 - Cosmetics (make it look pretty, hopefully by Line-xing the entire body, but we'll see how everything else goes)

I'm sure I'll take a lot of flack for my build ideas, but I want this to be a unique truck that is mainly built for daily driving on the street. My girlfriend's parents live about 2000 kms away and I want to be able to drive this truck there while being more efficient than my car or my girlfriend's truck. That's the game plan, but we'll see how much it changes before the year 2020 rolls around.

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 XL Build Thread