1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Cooler Leak, not what I was planning to do this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Cooler Leak, not what I was planning to do this weekend....

I was changing my oil this evening and when i went to crawl underneath the ole gal, i had this site waiting on me.

I said whoa girl, when you started this? I think it had to be fairly recent because i havent seen anything in my parking spots at home or work, then this today.Then i started looking around and concluded that my orings on my oil cooler were the culprit. Is this something that can continue to be driven or something that has to be addressed ASAP? Im not driving it until fixed, but just curious for future reference.

I recall seeing in the past where this is a somewhat common issue. Ill continue my search, but so far i havent found much regarding working on this. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on addressing this? Are parts available from dealer or from auto parts house? What needs to come out of the way to get this? It looks like a real pain in the @$$ to get to it. What else could be done while already this deep into it? Guess i dont get to go hunting this weekend after all. As always, thanks bunch for any responses.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Have you checked yet to see if you have oil in your coolant or coolant in the oil yet? If not I would check and I would NOT drive it. And from the photos it does look like it just started to leak and it could get worse quickly with the on set of cold weather and the age of them o rings. Now there are write ups out for rebuilding the oil cooler but I don't know of any off hand. I know I have read them before. I haven't got around to having that problem yet but I am sure I will. But this is what you will need Riffraff Diesel: Oil Cooler Seal Kit

Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Ive been doing oil analysis but just sent my last sample off today, from a few months back, everything has been coming back clean, no issues. When changing the oil this time, it didnt look any different, no foaming or anything. Im guessing im gonna need to drain the oil i just put in, and drain the cooling system as well, before loosening anything up and causing a bigger mess...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
No need to drain the oil, just the coolant. You can carefully remove the oil filter and cover to reuse if you like. When you drain the coolant before removing the filter housing, no contamination should take place when the oil cooler is removed. I removed the block drain plug on the driver's side and drained thoroughly before removing any other parts. I had the oil cooler leak oil to the outside a few years ago without getting into the cooling system during a cold snap. Here's a good write up on rebuilding the oil cooler. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-of-year.html

Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Thanks, i knew i saw it somewhere before. i found a video on youtube for it just now pretty much explaining what you just said. Ill pick up a kit tomorrow on way home and perform on saturday morning, instead of hunting....