Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel for the old 7.3litre

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel for the old 7.3litre

I have a 2000 7.3 motor in my truck. It doesn't like this new low sulfur junk at all. For that matter neither did my 2003 7.3 litre.

A few years back me and a friend had split some sulfur additive and my truck really loved it. Ran the best it has ever ran with no issues.

What additive is out there that puts the sulfur back in?

Truck also seems to run much better on that red stuff. But I only use that when I am hunting on back roads. Never Highways, that would be illegal. LOL

Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you tried biodiesel? B5, B10, B20? My truck likes it. It used to be available all around me but I just determined that the chain of gas stations that used to sell it, no longer does.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Not available here

Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man thats ridiculous. They mandate ethanol for everyone, which isnt good for anything, meanwhile, biodiesel, which actually does have some benefits, you cant find anywhere!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sulphur was the lubrication side of the equation. Do a forum search for fuel additive to read all the opinions you will ever want on which one does the best at restoring the lubrication. I prefer ford motorcraft diesel additive because it is cheap and has a good bottle.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:22 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
All we have in town is BG (No effing way, 70 bucks for 1/2 quart) and the Power Services stuff.

Guess I'll try that and if it doesn't do what I want then I'll just go back to using ATF

Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
the sulfur has nothing to do with it. the old high sulfur fuel had a high cetane rating. the new fuel is lower cetane, so it also has les BTU's and you get less fuel mileage with it.

also, the only difference between the red off road fuel and clear on road fuel is the dye put in it to show it is untaxed fuel. the red stuff is the same exact ultra low sulfur fuel as you buy at the diesel pump.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the sulfur has nothing to do with it. the old high sulfur fuel had a high cetane rating. the new fuel is lower cetane, so it also has les BTU's and you get less fuel mileage with it.

also, the only difference between the red off road fuel and clear on road fuel is the dye put in it to show it is untaxed fuel. the red stuff is the same exact ultra low sulfur fuel as you buy at the diesel pump.
Oddly coincidental that it makes my truck run smoother and better gas mileage. I have checked and calculated time and time again. It literally makes my truck run better.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
it has been against the law in the united states to sell anything but ULSD since i believe 2008.
the red fuel is the exact same thing as what you buy at the pump except for the added red dye

it may just be that you are not as hard on it when running dyed fuel.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just need to get something that raises the CETAINE. The off-road is not Highway Tax'd therfore much cheaper for industry.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM
BleednBlue68
Senior User
I always run some good quality 2 stroke oil with a tcw3 rating. Makes my 7.3 run a lil quieter. I also run some diesel kleen additive. They do make a summer and winter additive so make sure you get the right one.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
The sulfur is actually bad. The refining process is what removes some of the lubricating aspects but supposedly they add some back.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by BleednBlue68
I always run some good quality 2 stroke oil with a tcw3 rating. Makes my 7.3 run a lil quieter. I also run some diesel kleen additive. They do make a summer and winter additive so make sure you get the right one.
What brand do you use? I have used some of my sled oil but that stuff is high dollar. Have had same results with ATF fluid

Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PJ-Hunter
What brand do you use? I have used some of my sled oil but that stuff is high dollar. Have had same results with ATF fluid
I have had good luck with "Super Tech" two stroke, from Wally world. They also have decent prices on Diesel Kleen. The white bottle has anti-gel in it. Plus most truck stops have the Diesel Kleen stuff, pretty easy to find on the road. I have also been known to put atf in mine, but not on a regular basis.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 AM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by trekbasso
I have had good luck with "Super Tech" two stroke, from Wally world. They also have decent prices on Diesel Kleen. The white bottle has anti-gel in it. Plus most truck stops have the Diesel Kleen stuff, pretty easy to find on the road. I have also been known to put atf in mine, but not on a regular basis.
I guess the Diesel Kleen comes in 3 modes. White is your base stuff, grey is the really good stuff and the Red is your "OH CRAP" 911 stuff!

Quick Reply: Fuel for the old 7.3litre