Sponsored by: Moser

projector headlights are great but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
projector headlights are great but....

Last night while driving home from the pizza parlor with my young son, 19 yrs old & 240 pounds, this guy in front of me swerved as if to avoid a deer. I was well behind him not even doing the speed lint and I swerved also but saw nothing. He next stopped at an angle across both lanes and I thought since we live in the boonies he spotted something in the woods, so I rolled down my window to look too. Anyway, he got out yelling what the G& D&%n hell was with my f$%#ing headlights . Well I thought he was confused I had my high beams on, so I showed him what high beams looked like. That was like gas on the fire. Anyway, I guess he figured he may get a pistol imprint on his forehead he he approached my door, so he got in his 1999 Ford Ranger 4X4 with his coon dog cage in back and squealed off. I killed my headlights as not to provoke this idiot and drove the next mile with my running lights. Anyone else have this problem. I'm all stock , only 1000 miles on my 2013 King Ranch SC 4X4 Ecoboost and never had this happen before. Even my sons Audi A6 has the same lights and no problems.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Have you had the lights aligned?
Have you installed a leveling kit?
When those lights a shining just a bit too high, they are worse than having the hi beams on.
I am almost that guy. I hate it when people run those lights. Even when they are aimed correctly a small dip in the road or the hump of an intersection will cause the beams to be directly aimed at other drivers head level.

My son is 25 and bigger than yours. I hope you don't live around here!! HaHa!!
Just kidding
Enjoy your lights and use them responsibly.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 PM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm assuming that by saying he's completely stock his projection headlights are too. There are a lot of people who don't realize how bright/intensely focused projectors are vs. standard halogen headlights, especially if you are within the focused light area.

Perhaps he was just uneducated about the "new" projection headlights and how much better they light the roadway. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it too much. With that said, my wife's new car has projection headlights and it makes me sad that my 2010 f150 doesn't have them!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:54 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
The projectors is my escape are crazy bright, I agree, he was just uneducated

Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get it. People used to complain (and still do) about people running HIDs in halogen housings and how it blinded them. Now there are people that don't like projectors. What would they like us to do. Run with no headlights on after dark. I mean common. Some people need to adjust to change.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Weird, I've had the newer F-150's directly behind me and their lights do not bother me at all. That said my wife has told me after I've been behind her on my '11 that is all stock with oem halogens, and says my truck is miserable to have behind because the damn lights are extremely bright.

I'm driving an all stock, '11, XLT, 2wd, Scab.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 PM
J8tnub
New User
toyota tacoma and tundra headlights are worse. Those things are really bright.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adjusting to change is one thing. Blinding other drivers is another.

My personal solution is a 20" Rigid Industries LED driving light. If your headlights are too bright (you have your brights activated, your projectors are misaligned, you have a crap HID conversion in your halogen housings, etc.) and I feel that I won't be able to see the road sufficiently, I may feel the need to activate it. Sorry about your bad luck.

Sadly, the right answer is the matrix LED technology that Audi and the like are rolling out in Europe. A truly smart headlamp - "high beams" everywhere except in the face of oncoming traffic - no light there at all. But our dysfunctional government will make getting them approved a 10 year process.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
When a vehicle such as ours comes standard with auto dimming rear view inside/outside mirrors, the headlights are too bright.

Ever some to a school crossing with the crossing guard in the middle of the road directing traffic?

What happens to the crossing guard when a vehicle with ultra bright lights comes to the intersection? The crossing guard becomes a mere silhouette and you can barely see him/her.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Were you following too close? I was really careful in my lifted '03 to not follow closely enough that my low beams went in someones rear window. Might need to adjust them lower too.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not had this issue so far with my HID's...if I were following a low profile sports car I can imagine it a bit...but I haven't had anyone flash me as of yet.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:34 PM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Little General
Even my sons Audi A6 has the same lights and no problems.
The difference is that the Audi's HID's are self-leveling (they compensate for the incline or slope of hills to improve visibility where it's needed on the road and to not to blind oncoming drivers). The Ford HIDs do not have this feature, and thus when your truck climbs and crests a hill, the headlights just keep pointing up at the sky (or in the rearview mirror of the car in front of you).

Ford really cheaped out on this one. With a truck, any kind of payload is going to make the rear end squat so self-leveling headlights should really be standard.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
"The difference is that the Audi's HID's are self-leveling (they compensate for the incline or slope of hills to improve visibility where it's needed on the road and to not to blind oncoming drivers)."

I didn't know that. That is really cool!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Maybe the guy was just a plain ole miserable sumbitch. CB

Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I have never had an issue with the headlights on any of the newer ford vehicles. That is as long as they are properly adjusted. Now as far as the GM trucks from 07-13, their headlights are the f****** worst. They are constantly blinding the oncoming traffic and especially the driver directly in front of the truck.

Quick Reply: projector headlights are great but....