1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear springs

I've recently purchased a very nice F250/CC/LB/6.7 with a 5th wheel tow package(the avatar vehicle) and no plow package. It has the dreaded late model Ford Super Duty tail sag. I've installed Ride Rite air bags which have, with 20 or so pounds pressure, brought that tailgate height back to where the Ford Fleet Body Builders Manual say it should ride (along with a spring groan on some corners). While these air bags do what I need, they are really just a band aid. I either want to replace those springs or install an add a leaf. I do not want a lift kit.

The spring codes from the 'B' post are CC for the front (6000 pounds) while the rears are LL. I've spent hours doing a search as to what that L rate is supposed to be with the few rear spring code lists I've found skipping that L. The sticker says that the front/rear is 5940/6100 pounds.

With all that, my question(s) - what is the rate for spring code 'L' and what is a good alternative higher rating for a bit more capacity? Where can I find the spring codes on-line or do I need to see a Ford dealer with a part number if I can find one?

Oh - yeah, I am well aware of the legalities of going beyond the ratings stickered on the 'B' post.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 AM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know the spring codes but I have also been looking into this because of being way overloaded in the winter with a sander, 2 yards of salt and usually 1000 lbs of calcium chloride. I've weighed in with just over 7000 lbs of payload including my plow.

The best thing I could think of it getting 450 springs. From the research I have done there are 2 different 450 springs too. One for the pickup and one for the chassis cab. I would go with the chassis cab ones as they are beefier and don't sag like the pickup version.

This is just what I read. And I can't varify this personally but it may be the direction I go

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 AM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
I almost forgot. I have a 08 350 but I don't think the springs changed much

Old 11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by nojoke327
I almost forgot. I have a 08 350 but I don't think the springs changed much
Have you looked here? https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...008/specs.html

Includes the F450 info. I looked for the L springs for mine, but no joy based on that kind of information for the 2011. Maybe one of mine has the actual p/n under the dirt.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
why not just do a generic AAL for your truck? It'll give you at least 1" unloaded

they also add 500-1,000 lbs of capacity generally, and it will certainly fix any butt sag. I did a AAL for my Excursion when I changed the leaf pack to a heavier "F" codes from 2005 F-250 and gained 2" of height.

last time I looked on eBay and Amazon, you can get AAL's brand new for dirt cheap. You want a 3" wide pack

Old 11-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tylus
why not just do a generic AAL for your truck? It'll give you at least 1" unloaded

they also add 500-1,000 lbs of capacity generally, and it will certainly fix any butt sag. I did a AAL for my Excursion when I changed the leaf pack to a heavier "F" codes from 2005 F-250 and gained 2" of height.

last time I looked on eBay and Amazon, you can get AAL's brand new for dirt cheap. You want a 3" wide pack
I am considering that as a direction but really want to know what my starting point is first. As far as 'generics' - 100 bucks on up on ebay and it sounds like a decent way to go.

An update - I was able to wipe the dirt off the existing springs and found a Ford p/n stenciled on a leaf plus a stamped number:

BC34-5A975-LD (paint)
BC34-LD (stamped on the same leaf next to the Ford stamp).

That dirt underneath so far has resisted the local car wash underside spray so it looks like it's about time to dig out the pressure washer and my grottiest jeans and sneakers for an hour or so of 'playing' in the mud in 35 degree weather. This is the second 'preowned' truck from the same dealer with pounds of dirt on the underside. The last - I shoveled almost 50 pounds of it from my driveway after it dried. This one, not as bad, but ......

Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Have you looked here? https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...008/specs.html

Includes the F450 info. I looked for the L springs for mine, but no joy based on that kind of information for the 2011. Maybe one of mine has the actual p/n under the dirt.

Good info thanks,

Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tylus

What do you do with an aal if you already have a factory top overload spring

Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be careful getting springs for dirt cheap and also from companies and websites that sell "everything under the sun".

You may be having a hard time finding information on the leaf spring code because the year of your vehicle, it is still "newer" in terms of aftermarket replacement parts. How many leaves do you currently have in the pack? 3 over a thick one? 4 over a thick one? Don't count the top helper spring, (if you have one).

Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by nojoke327
What do you do with an aal if you already have a factory top overload spring
An AAL won't affect the top overload spring, you can still use it. The add a leaf will be put into the actual leaf spring pack. I am not in front of my book right now but for this particular model the top overload spring may be held on to the leaf spring with a long center bolt or it be two separate pieces. If they are connected as one, you may need a longer Center Bolt.

-Junior

Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Mine has a 3+1 spring, 6100 Ford stickered rear leaf capacity

I agree about many ebay sellers who are just order takers. Part of the problem with them is that they don't/wont give you an added capacity value. But then, most of the rest wont either with General Spring being about the only one on the web that will give you a capacity adder - something I feel to be important to make it worth while, knowing what you'll have.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR

I agree about many ebay sellers who are just order takers. Part of the problem with them is that they don't/wont give you an added capacity value. But then, most of the rest wont either with General Spring being about the only one on the web that will give you a capacity adder - something I feel to be important to make it worth while, knowing what you'll have.
Knowing what you are getting in terms of added capacity is definitely a plus, we are literally working on the AAL section right now with that exact info. With your steel gauge and leaf length you will most likely be seeing approximately 600lb additional PER side.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

\
I found General Spring in KC to be a very reasonable place to buy springs for my 07 F350 generalspring.com and follow the links. I purchased a rear spring 4plus1 for 127.00 bucks and 53.00 bucks got it shipped to my door UPS and I live in north central Maine. Hope this helps. Mcrafty1

Old 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not go to a junkyard and grab a spring pack from a 'gently' used donor Super Duty?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke
Why not go to a junkyard and grab a spring pack from a 'gently' used donor Super Duty?
Simply because that gently used Super Duty in a salvage yard usually has a saggy butt exactly the same as my gently used SD - and after spending the time and buck, you may be no further ahead

Quick Reply: Rear springs