1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cab clearance light gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab clearance light gaskets

Finding a nice set of clearance lights for these old trucks takes a while. Attending swap meets and/or browsing Ebay I finally collected enough parts. But no gaskets.... over time the gaskets deteriorate and there are no reproductions (that I know of). So here is how I created some.

Here's a NOS KD517 cab light I purchased years ago. The lens is glass, the outer shell is stainless or chrome and the base is painted and contoured to match the rounded cab roofs on old trucks. But no gasket.

The first step is to make a template for the gasket. Trace the light outer shell on cereal box cardboard. Then add 1/8+ inch all the way around that. Then cut that out.

Using the cardboard template, trace two more on scrap sheet metal. Using metal sheers, cut one out right on the trace line and the other about 1/16 inside the trace line. The larger is the bottom and the smaller is the top.

The top template is slightly smaller than the bottom. This will provide a bevel on the gasket.

I purchased a 12" x 53" piece of closed cell foam rubber neoprene/epdm blend 3/16 thick from ebay. The seller is in Miami FL and yes the product is "Made in USA". Place the bottom template on the gasket material.

Cutt out the gasket using utility knife. Leave a little around the gasket. My 11 year old son showing how's it done.

Sandwich the gasket between the top and bottom metal templates. Using a sanding disc and fine grit, trim the excess. make sure you keep the sandwich pressed together tight so the gasket won't slip.

The gasket now has a nice bevel, If you want more bevel make the top metal template smaller.

We need three holes in the gasket. Two for bolts and one for the wire. Make the holes with tubing that has been ground to a sharp edge, a block of wood, and a sledge hammer.

Here's how they look on the cab. In this picture the gaskets are not very well centered or tightened down. But you can see how nicely they accent the light and the sponginess lets it contour to the cab.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Very nicely done! Excellent how-to. I love the look of clearance lights, practical too.

PS -- I miss the days of my sons helping out

Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice. I pick up clearance lights like those anytime I see them at swap meets.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Very nicely done! Excellent how-to. I love the look of clearance lights, practical too.

Me too. However, my son is only 13. He simply isn't sufficiently interested.

Nice score on the lights!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Nice work!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Very nice work. Those lights look like the ones ive collected for my f6 . If you have 5 extra ones or material left over that you dont plan on using to make more id buy them from your son.

Ill have to verify my lights.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Thanks. I've been collecting the lights for years. The 1/2 hour my son was hanging out in the garage was great. Doesn't happen a lot.

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Very nice. I pick up clearance lights like those anytime I see them at swap meets.
That's about the only way any more. I use to see them sold as sets but not in a while.

Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Me too. However, my son is only 13. He simply isn't sufficiently interested.
Nice score on the lights!
From what I hear from other parents, kids today are not as motivated by cars as we were. The reason my son was in the garage was because his XBox time had run out for the day and he was 'bored'. Hopefully when they figure out the girl thing they will also find interest in cars/trucks.

Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Nice work!
Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by jmadsen
Very nice work. Those lights look like the ones ive collected for my f6 . If you have 5 extra ones or material left over that you dont plan on using to make more id buy them from your son.

Ill have to verify my lights.
I'll still have some left over. If the lights are KD517, Let me know how many you need. If not send me a card board template of the light. I'll send you back enough material and you can do the rest.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Thanks for the post. I've been trying to find gaskets myself. Now I know I just need to make them

Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
That is a great write-up. I want to remember this great idea for making gaskets.