Has anyone ever rented a 24-28' box trailer? Where?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Has anyone ever rented a 24-28' box trailer? Where?

Just curious if anyone knows where one might be able to rent a larger box trailer. I'm thinking something in the 24-28' range would be ideal, goosneck hitch. I don't suppose trailer stores would do that but I can ask around. Equipment rental places never have trailers that big, most are utility/equipment/skid steer types.

I figured someone here might have done that in the past - do you have any ideas?

Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Subscribing. I have search a lot for that as well. Have never found anyone that will rent a gooseneck flatbed or enclosed.

U haul has those small trailers for rent but that is about it for enclosed that I know of.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Some of the larger trailer dealers around here will rent enclosed trailers. I've never seen goosenecks for rental, IMO, mostly due to the fact that not every truck has the hitch and the rental unit would just sit most of the time. Where just about every truck has a reciever hitch.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Am subscribing for ideas as well. I sure would like to find one to occasionally rent and haul my '31 Ford roadster to further and weekend car shows. With a 5" engine setback, I'm a hurtin' 6'4" body after about two or so hours. The open U-Hauls give it no protection from flying road debris.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
So far I'm striking out. It seems that the equipment, dump, and utility trailers (all open) are what everyone but U-Haul rents, and all I can get at U-Haul is a 6x12 enclosed.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might just opt for a boxed truck as they have those available all over...

but last time I moved myself (a LONG time ago) I rented a large trailer from a local shop here in the dfw area - but with all the laws and lawyers, I doubt they still rent them...
heck, uhaul still won't rent one for use with my 2013 Explorer Sport _ idjuts !

that big of a tandem trailer was too big to pull with the nice CJ-7 I had at the time and almost got me and my son in a BIG wreck when my poor loading skills and the bumpy interstate lifted the rear end

Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
The box truck in my scenario would be a PITA.

You mention the loading of trailers... I moved a family member quite a few years ago down to KY with a 6x12 UHaul. We made a couple stops between here and there. On one of the legs of the trek the trailer was apparently tail heavy. Anything over 55mph and it got to fish tailing so bad it was throwing my truck around (1/2 ton silverado back then). I'll never forget that - I'd slow down and it would settle down. Then I'd pick up speed again and be OK until I hit a bump or caught wind funny and it would go back to oscillating. What makes it worse is when you try to compensate in the steering wheel.

In any event, the loading of the trailer is important. The hard part is when you're packing it like that how do you know ahead of time what to put where?? I suppose lay it all out and put the heavy stuff up front from the get go.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The box truck in my scenario would be a PITA.

You mention the loading of trailers... I moved a family member quite a few years ago down to KY with a 6x12 UHaul. We made a couple stops between here and there. On one of the legs of the trek the trailer was apparently tail heavy. Anything over 55mph and it got to fish tailing so bad it was throwing my truck around (1/2 ton silverado back then). I'll never forget that - I'd slow down and it would settle down. Then I'd pick up speed again and be OK until I hit a bump or caught wind funny and it would go back to oscillating. What makes it worse is when you try to compensate in the steering wheel.

In any event, the loading of the trailer is important. The hard part is when you're packing it like that how do you know ahead of time what to put where?? I suppose lay it all out and put the heavy stuff up front from the get go.

The u-haul I used a couple of weeks ago to move my Grandpa was nice and solid up to 80MPH. Loading is very important like you said.