Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Can ABS light be set by worn pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can ABS light be set by worn pads?

I'm thinking about buying a 98 Explorer that has an ABS light on. I haven't looked at it yet. In the ad, the seller claims it's due to worn brake pads in the rear. If that's true, then it's not a big deal. Can the ABS light be set by worn pads? Most of my cars are too old to detect this, but even if they did, I wouldn't know because I never let my pads get that low.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i doubt it.

when i bought mine the backing plates for the rear pads were gouging the rotors and that was not enough to set off any ABS warnings.

there is likely a fault in the ABS system. to find out you would need to hook it up to an upper end scanner capable of reading ABS codes (the cheapies won't cut it).

If it were really that simple, the owner would simply replace the pads and make it go away. He either knows that isn't it and is lying, or he truly believes it and is lying to himself as well.

i'd get it scanned as part of the deal.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Thanks. If your '00 didn't set the light, then I doubt that's the problem on the '98.

I still may look at it. The seller has it discounted relative to similar years/models. I'll see if he has the code(s).

If the ABS doesn't work, I'm not too concerned. It's not needed for dispatch. I think I can fix the brakes cheaper than if there were engine or transmission problems. I don't mind buying something that has some issues, as long as I can fix them myself. If I can't fix them or don't want to pay someone else to fix them, then I want the issue to be one that doesn't prevent me from using the vehicle.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 PM
meborder
I agree, i would never shy away from buying a vehicle just because it needed a brake job. In fact, i can't think of one used vehicle i have ever bought that i didn't end up doing the brakes shortly after purchase.

I would be cautious of one with an ABS light. Not saying it can't be a good deal, but ABS systems can be expensive to fix properly.

It may be something as simple as a wheel sensor, in which case it would be an easy fix. an ABS pump, though, could be a deal breaker.

either way, getting it scanned is the place to start.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brake job is one thing....and shouldn't be a deterrent from purchase.... but brake lines are another. Such a PITA to do and a common issue known to fail on these. Look specifically at the lines that run down the frame rail to back and the one in the rear that runs over the rear differential. If you can't do the lines and repairs yourself, you are right off the bat spending $300 or so depending on the lines needed.
Only sometimes does having the ABS light have anything to do with the fluid end of the brake system, but I mention because it is a common and major problem which is related to safety and need to be done if expecting to drive immediately after purchase. Good luck!

Originally Posted by meborder
It may be something as simple as a wheel sensor, in which case it would be an easy fix. an ABS pump, though, could be a deal breaker.

either way, getting it scanned is the place to start.

good luck and let us know how it goes!
+1^ Totally agree there. Always find out before purchase.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
You dont need the ABS for vehicle operation. Just forget it if you want. Quite a few of the problems are related to the wheels speed sensors.. one being defective. I also replaced the brake line to the rear axle from the front end. Start at the back with a 6-8 ft section and slide it down the frame rail past the gas tank rear tire area. Jut clamp 2-3 places along the run.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 AM
meborder
good to know about the brake lines, i'll have to give mine a once-over.

the rust is starting to become quite significant, and it is my main go-getter.

did not know they were problematic by nature on the explorers, so thanks for the tip!

Old 11-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Thanks for the tips.

Rust isn't normally an issue here but I always peek underneath whenever I look at a used car. I'm trying to get the VIN from the owner to see where it spent its life. If it's from the rust belt, I'll pass. I've run across a number of those already and while the paint and bodies look good, underneath, they're a mess.

I'm not too concerned about ABS problems, because if it doesn't work, it'll be just like the good old days until I fix it. It won't prevent me from using it and for the price, I can afford to throw some money at it, assuming it's as advertised.

Now, if I can just get the seller to respond to my inquiry...