1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

New guy -- need an old truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Lep6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy -- need an old truck

Howdy, new here - been reading for a while, would like to say "thanks!" to all y'all that share your knowledge.

I'm in the Army, stationed in the pacific northwest, and in the market for a late 60s to mid 70s pickup. Wondered if any of y'all wouldn't mind helping me out a bit. I'm more or less ignorant when it comes to working on cars, but wrenching is something I've always wanted to learn. I figure the first step is getting a truck so I can get to work.

So first question, are there any good resources y'all know of that describes how to inspect an old vehicle before buying? Some kind of buyer's guide or inspection checklist. Granted, that will vary from model to model and will depend on what I want to use the vehicle for - but anything will help.

I plan to use the truck as a semi-daily driver to work (less than 10 miles, no highway), for fishing, camping, and wood-hauling around where we live. Doesn't need to be a 4x4, but I wouldn't mind if it were; I got nothing I need to tow. I'm primarily concerned with a vehicle that runs - doesn't need to be pretty. Just don't want to put my foot through a rusty floorboard or get a rusted out frame. My budget is about $2000; I'd go up to $2500 or $3k if it means saving money down the line. I'd like to pull the trigger in the next month -- I've got thirty days of leave coming up in December and I'll use that time to go through the truck. I plan on selling the truck in 18 or so months when the Army moves us again; will try to break even on purchase cost. Any advice?

As far as expertise, I've got some buddies who are handy with a wrench and there's an auto skills shop on post -- place to use a lift and tools for a small fee; guys who work there will help out. And between FTE and other resources, I think I can find out just about anything I need to know.

Second question - any thoughts on some of the Craigslist ads below? First three are front-runners. Last one seems iffy since it doesn't currently run. How would you rank them? I plan on looking at as many as I can in the next couple weeks.

71 f100 $2000
1971 ford f-100 grandpa truck

66 F250 $2250
ford truck

1972 Ford f250 - $2000
1972 Ford f250

1971 FORD F 100 - $2500
1971 FORD F 100

1970 Ford F100 Sport Custom - $1000
1970 Ford F100 Sport Custom

69 f250 $2500
1969 Ford F250 Camper Special Ranger

69 f250 $2000
1969 Ford F250

Thanks fellas - I appreciate any help.

Corey

Old 11-09-2013, 04:12 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Corey Welcome to FTE & the Bumpside Forum.

That is a nice line of choices. Much better sheet metal than you will find over here on the right coast. A couple things the odometers roll over and reset at 100,000 miles so figure they have all been around the block once or twice in 40+ years. A 250 is a more heavy duty truck and all parts as well as cost to operate will be more. From what you stated the F100 is a better fit. It should do what you stated. I have owned Ford pickups for 40 years and always a half ton, and a tail dragger load on a few times.

The 1st truck in your line up would be where I'd start. Go with cash in your pocket to buy. You should be able to talk them down a bit, but go to bring it home.

guluk

John

Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In addition to the first one I'd take a look at the last 2. The first one doesn't have the drive train listed. Power steering and brakes are a must, at least for me.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM
carchub
Tuned
Both of the '71's and the first '69 in the list catch my attention, but that's just me. The second '71 though has absolutely no info which is disappointing, makes me think they probably don't want to sell it.
Being as you only really need an F100 and the '69 is an F250, I like the first truck on the list the best. Seems like an ok-seller and a great truck.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM
F150Dan
Junior User
I vote for the '66 in your link. I like the patina of how that truck looks already

Old 11-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Lep6
New User
Thanks guys - left coast is good for good sheet metal, fishing, beer, and long haired hippies.

John, so you figure F100 is the way to go?

Alex - my concern with the last one is it doesn't currently run... And I'm a rookie. Think it'd be tough to get it going? I'd be a little worried the current owner did something really wrong rebuilding that engine - and I'd inherit a real problem.

Dan - I also really like the look of the 66 - going to try to get a look at it today.

Y'all got any advice on what to look for? Tracking I oughta look at:
- rust that's thru the sheet metal
- rust on frame
- engine idles ok
- check for power steering
- disc / power brakes
- if 4x4, 4 low and hi function
- all gears and reverse function
- any modified / rebuilt parts of the motor or drivetrain

What else? Thanks - going tire-kicking today!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You are going to do a compression check on anything you/re thinking about buying, right? You said you wanted to learn how to work on your vehicles, so if they don't run you have a great learning chance.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:46 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Corey, You said nothing to indicate the need for a 3/4ton truck. Absolutely go for a 100 half ton.

Engine is up to you. Sounds like a 6 banger or 302 would work for you. I like the power that the FE 352/390 delivers, but I don't use my truck for a car.

John

Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are in great country for these trucks. There are a lot of them and most in good
shape. There are a couple of FTE members close to ya that will help when they
chime in here. Also lots of 4X4 there as well.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check for rusted floor pan, lower door jams. Look at for rust spots around front cab mounts. Another bad place is cab upper drip rail rust and or cracked caulk seal.
But the first truck looks like it would not have any issues but still need to check for any rust in bed side..orich

Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Lep6
New User
First truck is spoken for - for now. May get a look at it during the week if another buyer falls through.

Took a look at the 66 F250 - it's two tone patina is great. But lots of other problems I think. Power steering, but lots of slop - not sure how hard that is to diagnose and correct.

4 speed and reverse worked, but it was pretty tough getting it through the gears -- not that I had to force it, but was tough finding the gears. Maybe a normal condition - I don't know.

Driver and passenger floorboards pretty rusty, getting thin, but not gone yet. Tailgate has rust rot. Rest of the rust not terrible. 1/2 inch crack in the rim of the bed, right by the cab. Frame is good.

Drum brakes were sketchy - which I know is important, but a disc brake conversion will be my first project, so it's not a deal breaker.

Lots of minor problems: passenger inside door handle and window crank missing. No headliner. No key for the original ignition; original is still in the dash - the working one hangs from wires below the dash. Missing driver's side view mirror.

Engine runs strong, starts easily, idled nicely for 10 minutes. Dash in great shape, seat in great shape. I really liked the truck - but I think price is high considering rust and other problems.

I know I oughta look at F100s, but this seems nice, if over budget:
1965 Ford F250, automatic, runs, gorgeous, straight, original engine

So is this F100, over budget:
1966 F100

Hunt continues.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Lep6
New User
Alex - roger that on learning, but I think I want to start with a running truck. Hadn't planned on doing a compression test - looked it up, seems simple, will do.

Thanks Artic Y, appreciate encouragement.

Orich - yeah, drip rails were rough but seemed salvageable.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Corey, Either of those are doable. You have to get what you want. You are doing the one thing that I don't like, and that is painting yourself in a time box. Time is on your side my brother. You can rent a car for a month or two if needed, but take your time don't put yourself in a place you don't want to be.

John

Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM
sweetlou1
Senior User
I am certainly no expert here, but if it were me, I would take a look at #3, the '72 250. The guy already did a lot of maintenance, it will certainly haul your wood with out dragging ***, and the inside looks in good shape. It falls into your budget nicely. The key is also where you will be in 18 mo. You want to resale this truck, so buy low, and put little money into it so you can recoop most of your investment. My .02

Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first F100 is my top choice but it sounds like that one might not be available any longer. The only other one I would consider is the 3rd one, 72 F250 for 2k. I agree with the comments in the previous post. You might can buy it for less and I think it would have good resale when the time comes. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New guy -- need an old truck