6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

20" Light Bar Wiring to Bright lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:31 AM
crazyduck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
best thing to do is use a relay driven off the brights. and one powered from an upfitter switch..

so you would wire it this way

light bar relay
battery ----> 30
lights <------ 87
ground ----> from second relay
upfitter switch --- 85

this means power to the light bar will ONLY be on when
1. the upfitter switch is on
AND
2. the brights relay is on

brights relay

ground ---> 30 & 85
to light relay --->87
jumper from bright headlight power to 86

this relay toggles ground on and off, depending on the brights being on or not.

the ground ON would enable the light bar relay
when the upfitter is on.

this puts the minimum amount of power draw on any existing circuit
(power to toggle the relay, which is about .23 amps, (usually 2.8 watts or less))
Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to wiring but the details stated above, are the #'s listed the #'s in the fuse box under the hood? Does this method allow me to turn the LED's on using the Aux switch and then have the option to use with bright lights and option to turn LED's off so they will not come on with bright lights? I did read one post where you have to pull the front grill and wire into headlights and then use two of the Aux switches. Is this the same thing?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyduck
Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to wiring but the details stated above, are the #'s listed the #'s in the fuse box under the hood? Does this method allow me to turn the LED's on using the Aux switch and then have the option to use with bright lights and option to turn LED's off so they will not come on with bright lights? I did read one post where you have to pull the front grill and wire into headlights and then use two of the Aux switches. Is this the same thing?
The numbers are the pins on the relays. No wires are connected to the fuse box.
The power is direct to the battery
And the control is from an upfitter switch and the bright light wire.

I haven't done mine yet, so I don't know how you clamp onto the existing bright light wire.

This allows you to use the bright light control like normal, and turn the bar on/off at the same time.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 PM
jdenny21
Senior User
Please excuse my ignorance as well, but where are the relays located; I'm not sure what they even look like...

Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdenny21
Please excuse my ignorance as well, but where are the relays located; I'm not sure what they even look like...
Which relays are you referring to? If you mean the relays for the light bar etc, you will have to provide them.

You shouldn't need to get to the upfitter relays, but they are up under the drivers dash.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 PM
RxSd2013
Senior User
I am Loving this!!! I thinks me wants this BADLY
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
I am not here to knock on anyones opinion or choice in product. Just to give fair and unbiased information. Baja Designs makes some of the best LED products on the market. Having the ability to self configure your light to suit your specific needs is a huge advantage over almost everything else out there. The optics are a critical part of the lighting process and Baja is the only company I know that lets you change between 4 different ones. In terms of the actual LED's, Rigid, and the off brand are using XPG... Baja is using XML 2. They are a much higher output LED. One single XML 2 LED puts out over 1000 lumens! Next big factor that comes into play... heat management. LED's although much cooler in temperature than HID or incandescent, heat is their enemy. Baja uses copper to convect heat away from the core. I can't speak for the others.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I have seen both a rigid, and a Baja side by side, and it wasn't even close. Baja projected further, smoother, wider, and the coloring was way better. That doesn't mean that Rigid doesn't offer an excellent product as well.

And to the OP Crazyduck... are you sure you really want to have them on your high beams? You go to flash to pass or flash oncoming traffic to alert them to something and you will not have happy campers in the other car haha.

Lastly, to anyone who wants the light output of the big bars but more discreet. Look into the Baja Designs Squadron XL. I directly replaced my fogs and love them. If I Had bought them first I wouldn't have purchased the bar.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdenny21
The relays mentioned in my posts would be located in the engine bay. You have to supply them.