6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Winter's coming: diesel additive

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Winter's coming: diesel additive

2011 6.7 diesel new to me. My old 7.3 I would put in fuel boost in for the winter to avoid frozen lines, and keep things clean inside the motor. With these new engines, is it okay to do the same?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:45 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen white bottle in the winter, grey bottle in the summer. I've had no ill affects on my truck.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen white bottle in the winter, grey bottle in the summer. I've had no ill affects on my truck.
X2

As for the cost of the PSDK, it comes out almost being next to nothing +or-. I see at a minimum of a 1 MPG increase using it.

I also tried using the Ford Motorcraft equivalent but the cost and ease of finding the Diesel Kleen makes it my preferred choice.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info. We all seem to be on the same page. I use the white bottle in the winter. So I will continue to do it in this 6.7 as I did with the 7.3.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use Power Service in my truck. Just stay away from that RED bottle with the 9-1-1 on the label! Alcohol based products can be damaging to sensitive, high dollar fuel system components, and will undoubtably void your warranty.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by marchare011
I also use Power Service in my truck. Just stay away from that RED bottle with the 9-1-1 on the label! Alcohol based products can be damaging to sensitive, high dollar fuel system components, and will undoubtably void your warranty.
Good call...seems obvious to me, but maybe not everyone.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never seen a gray bottle, only white and red. I just started doing this, about half a small bottle per 26gal fill. Can't wait to get my titan tank and use the whole thing.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:11 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Usually next to the white bottle there will be the gray bottle. I don't know anyone that uses the gray.
In fact when I got my first diesel my son told me to use only the white, and at least once a month put it in four wheel drive with the auto hubs. A little off subject, but that was the way he said it every time.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ct diesel
Usually next to the white bottle there will be the gray bottle. I don't know anyone that uses the gray.
In fact when I got my first diesel my son told me to use only the white, and at least once a month put it in four wheel drive with the auto hubs. A little off subject, but that was the way he said it every time.
Depending on your local, you may not see the white bottle Pretty hard to find it in Arizona because it's not needed. Just depends where you are shopping and where you live. Gray is used more frequently with summer diesel and white for winter diesel. Doesn't mean you will destroy your engine if you use the gray bottle in the winter or white in the winter.

White bottle (includes antigel/winterizer)
Gray bottle (no antigel/winterizer)

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Depending on your local, you may not see the white bottle Pretty hard to find it in Arizona because it's not needed. Just depends where you are shopping and where you live. Gray is used more frequently with summer diesel and white for winter diesel. Doesn't mean you will destroy your engine if you use the gray bottle in the winter or white in the winter.

White bottle (includes antigel/winterizer)
Gray bottle (no antigel/winterizer)
Makes sense. I'm in North Dakota, no gray bottle here. Haha!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Wow never thought about the rest of the country. makes sense. Here just common to see both on the self. thanks for the insite.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Not to be even more of a nerd, but know that it is not uncommon for those that sell both to stock one or the other depending on the blend of diesel at the local pumps. It's not uncommon to find only white bottles in the winter at fuels stops and on gray in the summer.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Savage made a good point. Here in Bama at my local shell truck stop all you will see now for a few months is the white. Why because most fuel sold. Who knows where that truck is headed.us locals are few in compared to big rigs. I just carry both.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 AM
kd7nvm
New User
So I have been running the Motocraft Red topped Cetane booster additive (scored a case on the cheap). It looks like motocraft also offers a black capped "anti-gel and performance booster". All of our ULSD out here is "winterized" from the pumps. Should i switch to the black top anti-gel or stay with red topped Cetane booster in the winter? Or should i just switch to power service white/gray when i run out of my cheap case of the ford stuff? Are you running power service because its better than the motocraft stuff or because the price is right?

By the way, I love this forum. Have lurked for quite a while but decided to sign up tonight. Great resources here so far!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum kd !

back to the subject at hand:
I've rarely used any additive,
BUT we are in the DFW area
and I've only been driving ford deezles since 2002 or so...

never had an issue with any of our engines except for the one batch of bad fuel I got in my excursion... and no amount of additive would have helped 40% water

I do have a question for you that buy the gallon bottles....
is there a concern with it sitting in your garage for months after it's opened ?

Quick Reply: Winter's coming: diesel additive