1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

finally picked up my IFS

Old 06-22-2003, 03:48 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
finally picked up my IFS

well guys, the time is finally here. I went down to the dismantler today, and picked up a 1978 Aspen wagon suspension. Everything was in GREAT shape (like it was hardly even driven).
It was even already out and waiting for me, with brake booster, power steering, and proportioning valve. I have her in the garage, and am getting ready to clean it up. Any suggestions on what I should do to it after clean up? Should I buy a bushing kit, or should I just pick up the main bushings and seals from the auto parts store?

Where should I start ?

Thanks guys! Im really excited now.

Old 06-22-2003, 05:16 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
finally picked up my IFS

I guess there are a number of ways to do this, but in my case I welded the suspension into the truck first. Then I began disassembling the suspension components (you have to do a certain amount of disassembly anyway to mount it) to determine what I needed. So far, I've needed to replace both upper ball joints (lowers were fine) and upper A-arm bushings (lowers were good). My pivot bushings were also deteriorated, but I have not decided whether to try and replace them or not and the end bushings were great. All the tie rod ends and the idler arm was good also. I wouldn't just go out and buy a front end rebuild kit until you know for sure what you need. After I got all the suspension components removed and cleaned, I painted the frame with POR-15 and will also paint each component with POR-15 as I re-assemble it. I getting most of my parts from my local NAPA store and Chrysler dealer.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:09 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
finally picked up my IFS

It it probably just about as easy to rebuild it after the clip is welded in. I would inspect it very thoroughly now. As Vern stated, you will partially disassemble the suspension during the install. I would replace the upper and lower control arm bushings without a second look, while you have it apart. Regardless of their apparent condition, they are 25 years old. It is almost impossible for them to actually be good as new. At least for long. Mushy bushings equals squirmy handling. If you buy very many components locally, a complete mail order kit will start making sense. Kits are around $125 for balljoints, control arm bushings, outer tie rod ends, stabilizer bar end links.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:01 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally picked up my IFS

I did it the other way with my Dak IFS on my '59. I stripped the donor IFS, inspected the parts, bought all new bushings, ball joints, nuts, bolts, spacers, washers, rack & pinion, and tie rod ends. Had the donor parts bead-blasted. Primered and painted the components. Had them pressure packed back together then took the separate components piecemeal to the shop for install.

Six of one, half a dozen of another so take the route that suits you most comfortably. And good luck with your IFS project; it's the best improvement I've spent money on in my truck so far. I'm sure you're going to love the end result. Pix available at: www.pbase.com/kramer/ifs

Daryl

DS02F250
Posting Guru
finally picked up my IFS

I did it the other way with my Dak IFS on my '59. I stripped the donor IFS, inspected the parts, bought all new bushings, ball joints, nuts, bolts, spacers, washers, rack & pinion, and tie rod ends. Had the donor parts bead-blasted. Primered and painted the components. Had them pressure packed back together then took the separate components piecemeal to the shop for install.

Six of one, half a dozen of another so take the route that suits you most comfortably. And good luck with your IFS project; it's the best improvement I've spent money on in my truck so far. I'm sure you're going to love the end result. Pix available at: www.pbase.com/kramer/ifs

Daryl

DS02F250
Posting Guru
finally picked up my IFS

Good luck with your IFS project; it's the best improvement I've spent money on in my truck so far. I'm sure you're going to love the end result.

Daryl
IFS pix available at: www.pbase.com/kramer/ifs

Old 06-23-2003, 12:07 AM
55forder
Elder User
finally picked up my IFS

ok Daryl, I got the point.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:29 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
finally picked up my IFS

Originally posted by 55forder
ok Daryl, I got the point.

Sorry! My connection was funky. I'd wait to get the "your reply has been posted" window, but it didn't do it the first couple of times, thus explaining why I hit the "send" button 3x. Sorry!!!

Daryl

Old 06-23-2003, 02:56 PM
55forder
Elder User
finally picked up my IFS

Thanks buddy! WEll Im going into the garage, and starting sheetmetal teardown. I love rusty bolts.

Wish me luck.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:39 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
finally picked up my IFS

Good luck with those rusty bolts. Even using PB blaster, about 90% of the bolts in my front sheet metal wrung off.

Search this Thread