Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Freshman User

DirtySCREW is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help with Transponder key

I ordered some "transponder" keys from Ebay. They were the ones with the remote in the head of the key. I took it to a locksmith I have used before that knows what he is doing for programming. The remote fob in the key head would work locking and unlocking the doors. The key would NOT start the vehicle and the Ford Security icon would flash on the dash.

The locksmith said that it was NOT a transponder key. My key to my 08 Escape has the letter "S" stamped into it. From research I understand this is a 40 bit key. My key is also a regular transponder key with separate key fob. The Ebay seller is adamit that is is a transponder key as their keys are all tested. Ebay seller says that it doesn't have a stamp because its an aftermarket key. I have seen other ebay sellers with aftermarket keys that HAVE a "SA" or "HA" stamp in the key (I understand this is a 80 bit key that is backwards compatible with 40 bit systems). I have NOT seen ANY keys with the remote head have any stamps on them. I spoke with a local Ford dealer who informed me that the IKT keys won't work UNLESS your vehicle came with it; as he tried with his F150 unsuccessful. I thought escapes came with IKT keys. Am I wrong? Was it an option?

Is it Possible that the IKT key I have is a transponder key but just wouldn't work on my Escape?
Help

I've contacted the seller and am about to ship them back for a refund.

DS
Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Freshman User

Anyone??

I'm having trouble finding remotes for my Escape. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DS
Old 11-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
2008 FORD ESCAPE key - Keyless remote for FORD ESCAPE

or

Key Fobs, Replacement Car Alarm Remotes & Keyless Entry Systems : RemotesUnlimited.com

I think I bought 2 keys from the first site for a 2007 Mariner @ $19.95 ea + $3.00 s/h.

The keys appear to be OEM, or an excellent copy as they match the originals exactly. They were noted on the order as:

TIK-MER-02 2000 - 2010 Mercury Transponder Chip Key

I did not buy a fob or remote.

tom
Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Freshman User

Thanks Tomw, I found some on ebay from another seller and his pics had the "SA" stamped in the key along with a 99.5% positive rating so I gave him a try. Thanks again.

DS
Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM