1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

radio bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd be surprised if there are 10 original radios in working condition left in the world. That said, there's precious little in the kit that can't be made at home.

Agreed.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
It's hard to imagine DC, or anyone else for that matter, spending the money and resources to repro something with a demand that limited. There couldn't be ten people in the world actually needing that kit over the next 20 years.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd be surprised if there are 10 original radios in working condition left in the world. That said, there's precious little in the kit that can't be made at home.
Chuck and I had this discussion. I was actually approached about it since I have the kit.

You'd be surprised! I bet this kit would sell. I could use two of them myself. Let's say this kit is priced at $40. Eventhough it could be made a home, it would take the average person several hours, if not more, to make one. I'd rather just pay a reasonable price to get a ready-made kit and concentrate my time/effort on another task.

I have three working radios. There are a few on eBay. The OP has a radio (assuming working). So, there are more than 10 in the world.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What kills me about it is that by '51-'52, they knew they needed to have a radio, did a complete dash re-design and made absolutely no provisions for supporting one. The main support is just a bent piece of flat iron and no hole provided, c'mon Henry!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
This bracket that I show is not really needed if the original speaker is not utilized. There's no provision to attach the speaker to the dash directly. The speaker attaches to the bracket and the bracket is then attached to the radio, while the radio is mounted through the two holes in the dash.

I have pulled out a radio out of a 52 that didn't have a speaker mounted in the stock location. The radio was supported by a hand-made bent piece of metal stock attached at the rear bolt of the radio to the cowl area.

The bracket that I have pictured is only necessary when the stock radio is being mounted in the original location. If one doesn't care about originality, a simple "like-kind" adapter bracket could be made from a sheet of metal.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I meant the bracket that supports the rear of the radio. I installed a modern radio and had to make the same kind of bracket, really makes access to the underside of the dash a PITA.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
That's what I pictured when you described it. There's no hole there for the support bracket coming off of the rear of the radio.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:05 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
A little off this topic but check out the two spammers' list of posts and they're either a simple "welcome post", which from booth look the same or posting about their inventory or great prices. I say "SPAM" and have reported their posts. If I'm wrong sorry, it just looks like it to me.
Tony and Jen responded to his post when it was in the "New Members" forum.

And just for clarification, they're both site sponsors and are not precluded from posting up a welcome message.

Oh, and there's no need to be sorry....we appreciate you all looking out for spammers. It makes our jobs a little easier. If you see something that looks suspicious, don't hesitate to report it and we'll gladly check it out.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 11-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 PM
alamartina
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. The rear bracket is a piece of bent flat iron. However, it is needed to support the rear of the radio due to the weight if the radio. ID like to fashion one before install rather thn put the radio in and hand bend to fit. If none has the dimensions, I would appreciate it.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Tony and Jen responded to his post when it was in the "New Members" forum.

And just for clarification, they're both site sponsors and are not precluded from posting up a welcome message.

Oh, and there's no need to be sorry....we appreciate you all looking out for spammers. It makes our jobs a little easier. If you see something that looks suspicious, don't hesitate to report it and we'll gladly check it out.
In other words, posting in the "New Members" forum is like jumping into the shark tank at feeding time!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
In order for alamartina to get replies to his inquiry I moved this post from the New Member Introductions forum, 1ATony did not reply to this forum. Sorry for the confusion folks.
That explains it. I have never seen anything like those two ads in a thread on FTE. Thanks for moving it over here so the OP can get some answers.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:16 AM
alamartina
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
That's what I pictured when you described it. There's no hole there for the support bracket coming off of the rear of the radio.
Would you be willing to draw a template on heavy stock for me? A template of the speaker bracket and the rear bracket. Maybe I can find a local shop to make them for me.
I think I have a good copy of the directions from your post. Your help would be greatly appreciate. If not, just let me know. I'll understand.
Best regards,
Tony

Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
alamartina
Junior User
I printed and read the instructions to the kit. There are several condensers (capacitors?) that are in the kit. Are they all the same value? What are/ is the value of these condensers?

Were you able to find the dimensions of the brackets?

I appreciate your help. If you are not able to help, no problem; let me know and I'll keep searching elsewhere.
Best regards,
Tony

Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 AM
SeattleF3
Freshman User
Panelman,

You are right in thinking that there are more folks out there hoping to rock the 18+ pound stock AM radios! I have a very clean and completely serviced radio - I love how these old units look! I would happily buy that kit re-popped for $40!

I guess I have to add my voice to the chorus here, but the questions on the speaker mount (proportions, etc.) and the half dozen "capacitors" have me scratching my head! Any information you can share would be invaluable! It is either ask for your assistance or reinvent the wheel!

If you wanted to take some measurements, I would be happy to create a diagram from them to post here for anyone wanting to make a mount. It may be a while until a kit is offered for sale.

Thanks for showing the stock adapter/kit. Any way it goes that is a huge help!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM
alamartina
Junior User
So,... Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to find the info I'm looking for? I would like to install the radio according to its original place and mount.

I'm looking for the value of the capacitors, a drawing with measurements for the speaker bracket and rear bracket that goes from the rear of the radio to the firewall.
If you know someone who might know someone, I would very much appreciate your help. Have a good day.
Tony

Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Speaker mounting in 52 F-1

I am considering going to the dual cone speaker and mounting it in the stock location.
Anyone used one of these?

I don't know why I cannot build the speaker mounting plate like Ilya's new plate to hold the speaker once I measure the mounting spacing where it bolts behind the grill.

Wonder if it bolts to the bolts that hold the chrome on the outside of the dash?
I see it also loops around the radio controls.
Tractormanbill

Quick Reply: radio bracket