6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

SURVEY: IF YOU EVER PUMPED GASOLINE INTO A 6.4L PLEASE RESPOND.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
SURVEY: IF YOU EVER PUMPED GASOLINE INTO A 6.4L PLEASE RESPOND.

I am suprised at the number of people who have pumped some amount of gasoline in to their 6.4Ls. The interesting part is that all the techs seem to be strongly convinced that the only way to deal with that is to replace all the components in the fuel system, around 10,000 bucks worth. However many posters have reported cleaning the tank and lines and refilling and driving on with no problems. So, if you've had that experience please tell us about it and what you did and any long term results. In quiring minds want to know.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm curious to see where this goes Stanley. If I were a tech it wouldn't take more than one blown up engine after an inadequate repair to sing the same company line. Fuel system problems are definitely capable of causing permanent engine damage, and I've never heard of a good way to tell if anything had been damaged.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a four day snow fight, I filled the tank with unleaded.

I made it about 2 miles when the truck quit. Had a plow and a load of salt, so long wait for big wrecker. After a couple of hours it restarted and I drove to the dealership (which was across the street from the gas station where this drama played out).

Nothing blew up. Sensors did what they were supposed to. Dealer drained tank, flushed fuel system, replaced the filters.

I got a lecture and an $800 bill. Instituted a fuel policy across the fleet that day. They call it "Operational Experience" in the nuclear power industry........

18,000 miles later, the truck purrs like a kitten. No ill effects. In fact it got a clean bill of health from the dealer this afternoon.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 PM
caddy
Senior User
I posted on other threads my brain fart a few yrs back. While on vacation in FL and fixing to head back home I stopped to fill tank. I mistakenly added approx 15gal of gas to tank. Drove it for around 30 miles looking for service station. Truck ran normally during 50% mixture. Finally I just stopped and called a tow truck. Had it towed to service station. Diesel tech recommended draining tank, changing fuel filters and purging lines. All which was done that evening. Next day I picked up truck with full tank of diesel. Total was about $4-450 if I recall right. Drove truck from FL to TX at psl or under worried the whole way. I considered getting rid of the truck just for potential of high $$$ repair in future. I decided to keep it since it ran just like the first day I took it from the dealership. It showed no signs of damage. Later I added a tuner and thought for sure if damage was done it would cause a failure due to more stress from the tuner. In contrast truck felt more responsive and got better fuel mpgs. Now it's been about 25k miles since the brain fart and truck has not given me any issues aside from 2 battery replacements.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Harley250SD
Freshman User
Went to a BP station in the pouring rain and just grabbed the green handled pump...which is diesel at every OTHER station in America...except BP...anyway...pumped 15 gallons into the tank before I realized it...called my mechanic and he told me not to even turn the key on to the fuel pump wouldn't start pumping fuel. Had it flat bedded and the mechanic dropped the tank and cleaned it out and cleaned all lines. Cost me $900 for being a moron...but the truck is fine. Probably because I never even turned the key back on...

Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
For me.. Never! Never ever have! And especially on my 6.4!! This is the nicest truck I have ever owned in my life, so I am very peculiar and watchful of it! I know parts on this thing are very expensive, and thats not a cost I want to suck up!

Even with my old 7.3DIT, never an ounce of gas touched the tank!

Many many years ago, my fathers company had an employee that made me wonder. We had a 7.3 IDI in the fleet, and was the only diesel. Anyways, I took one of the gassers to the filling station, while he took the IDI. We filled up on the same ticket. He was supposed to fuel the trucks while I went in and signed for the bill. I came out when he was done, and we took off. His IDI started getting hot, while mine ran like **** and reaked of diesel. That was a learning experience from someone elses mistake at a young age! LOL!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM
cuda66
Senior User
Volkswagen says you won't hurt the engine with up to 10% gasoline in the diesel ... Drained and cleared many a fuel systems after this common mistake.....no major part replacement ever ..... So why would this motor be any different? Heck I know guys that use to cut their diesel with gas in the winter.....

Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Neighbor had something like this occur except he grabbed the Diesel pump and filled up, a ways from the station the truck started to sputter and died, right there he knew something was wrong stuck his siphon is and started siphoning some of the fuel into a jerry can, noticed it was not diesel.

Called for a tow went back to the station with the tow and his truck on the hook went in with the jerry can and had them look and smell the gas in the Jerry can. Management came down and they dipped the tank, and sure as **** the refuelling driver put gas into the diesel holding tank., so they closed off the pump.

The were good about it though reimbursed him for his towing, rental and repairs and gave his money back on that fill up and gave him a free fill once his truck was up and running again.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I seemed to remember a thread from a while back, where the damage was narrowed down to the piezoelectric stacks in the injectors.
Some models or brands can't handle any moisture, and self destruct. Gasoline has enough moisture to ruin them.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Texas450
Senior User
I put about 3 gallons of mid grade at bp station(stupid green handle) in Fla. Driven over 200,000 since then

Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM
caddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Texas450
I put about 3 gallons of mid grade at bp station(stupid green handle) in Fla. Driven over 200,000 since then
Yep, it was at a BP station also for me.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:30 AM
blackeyed1
Senior User
So far I haven't done it. Pretty **** about checking the pumps and handles when I pull in. I look and re-look and check 1/2 dozen times before I'm sure its a diesel pump, AND says ULSD sticker. And I figure if the gas station has no signs at the road that says diesel, it has no diesel fuel pumps.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 PM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
Originally Posted by pbeering
After a four day snow fight, I filled the tank with unleaded.

I made it about 2 miles when the truck quit. Had a plow and a load of salt, so long wait for big wrecker. After a couple of hours it restarted and I drove to the dealership (which was across the street from the gas station where this drama played out).

Nothing blew up. Sensors did what they were supposed to. Dealer drained tank, flushed fuel system, replaced the filters.

I got a lecture and an $800 bill. Instituted a fuel policy across the fleet that day. They call it "Operational Experience" in the nuclear power industry........

18,000 miles later, the truck purrs like a kitten. No ill effects. In fact it got a clean bill of health from the dealer this afternoon.
So was this a company truck?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Cancelled my error. I think,

Last edited by StanleyZ; 11-10-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: wrong addressee
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Texas450
Hi Tex, haven't heard from you for a while. So you pumped some gasoline in the truck, did you do anything to get it out or just keep on truckin. What I was going for with this thread was the long term results of a wrong fuel event. A lot of drivers have reported doing it and then just cleaning everything up an driving on. The techs on here seem sure that there will be a major failure sooner or later. I just thought we could all benefit from the survey

Quick Reply: SURVEY: IF YOU EVER PUMPED GASOLINE INTO A 6.4L PLEASE RESPOND.