Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken brake rotor on 89 F-350 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM
NorthwoodGuy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken brake rotor on 89 F-350 2WD

Ok guys, now keep in mind this is my yard truck and it will be junked in the spring (not looking to break the bank on replacement parts). Noticed the caliper leaking last winter so I just pinched off the line and finished out the season. Getting around to prepping for the coming plow season I got the passenger side pulled apart, and was about to replace the caliper when I found only half a rotor. Wearing surface on one side, worn vanes on the other. How difficult is it to replace a rotor on one of these? Is it as easy as popping a dust cap on the outside, removing a spindle nut, and sliding the hub and rotor off? Unbolt the rotor from the spacer and bolt in the new one? Or do I have to deal with bearings and snap rings and the whole 9? Please tell me this is an easy fix.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthwoodGuy
Ok guys, now keep in mind this is my yard truck and it will be junked in the spring (not looking to break the bank on replacement parts). Noticed the caliper leaking last winter so I just pinched off the line and finished out the season. Getting around to prepping for the coming plow season I got the passenger side pulled apart, and was about to replace the caliper when I found only half a rotor. Wearing surface on one side, worn vanes on the other. How difficult is it to replace a rotor on one of these? Is it as easy as popping a dust cap on the outside, removing a spindle nut, and sliding the hub and rotor off? Unbolt the rotor from the spacer and bolt in the new one? Or do I have to deal with bearings and snap rings and the whole 9? Please tell me this is an easy fix.
Remove tire
remove locking hub
remove caliper
remove spindle nutS and outer bearing
remove hub/rotor assem
drive out wheel studs
knock rotor off hub
put new rotor on
install wheel studs and drive them in

Install is reverse of removal

Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Remove tire remove locking hub remove caliper remove spindle nutS and outer bearing remove hub/rotor assem drive out wheel studs knock rotor off hub put new rotor on install wheel studs and drive them in Install is reverse of removal
His is a 2wd. How do you plow with a 2wd the truck must be pretty help less

Old 11-04-2013, 10:59 PM
NorthwoodGuy
Freshman User
Truck actually does pretty well for 2wd. It's got a flat bed with small side rails. With about 500-1000lbs or dirt in it it pushes just about anything. But back on topic if we can. Yes it's 2wd so obviously I don't have to deal with the locking hubs. It's just so odd to me to see rotors that don't just slide off with the calipers off. I should probably just dig in but I really don't want to get into messing with bearings if there's the possibility of them falling out or being damaged by being exposed. (I have no experience with them at all.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 PM
slashfan7964
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fordka
His is a 2wd. How do you plow with a 2wd the truck must be pretty help less
Mines a 4X4 and I almost never have to use 4WD to plow unless I'm pushing mountains of that wet s***.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM
NorthwoodGuy
Freshman User
Again, back on topic if we could. Am I just looking at a spindle nut? I'm not going to be able to dig into it until this weekend but want to purchase the parts I'm going to need and round up the tools ahead of time. Thanks guys.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Sorry. I missed the 2wd prt.
Yes, just remove caliper,dust cap, cotter key, castle nut, washer outer wheel bearing then the rotor will come off. the hub and rotor are one assem on a 2wd

Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 PM
NorthwoodGuy
Freshman User
Will I be able to re-use the bearing? Do I need a special tool to remove it or re-install it?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Will I be able to re-use the bearing? Do I need a special tool to remove it or re-install it?
Reuse bearings. new rotor will have new races. I would change the grease seal

Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
NorthwoodGuy
Freshman User
Anywhere I can find an exploded view of the hub assembly?

Also are the 4wd and 2wd rotors the same? I know the calipers are....

Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Anywhere I can find an exploded view of the hub assembly?
There is very little too a front 2wd spindle/hub so you really don't need one, very simple/basic setup.

Just do it, if you take your time and working with basic hand tools it might take you an hour total to change it.

Couple things you'll wanna know going in (if you don't know them already).

Before putting hub on spindle apply light coat of grease on spindle where the seal rides, clean the area/spindle first.

Be sure and repack the bearings with fresh grease until that new grease appears from between all rollers.

The wheel bearings properly packed need no more grease, in other words don't fill the hub between inner and outer bearings with grease.

Bearing preload, tighten wheelbearing nut to 25 ft-lbs then rotate the hub in forward direction several times to seat bearings, re check/set preload to 25 ft-lbs again if seating changed value, next back off nut 1/8th turn, then finally with your fingers only (no wrench/tool) tighten nut until its snug and install cotter key.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Rotor are NOT the same from 2wd to 4wd

Old 11-11-2013, 07:49 PM
NorthwoodGuy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by danr1
There is very little too a front 2wd spindle/hub so you really don't need one, very simple/basic setup.

Just do it, if you take your time and working with basic hand tools it might take you an hour total to change it.

Couple things you'll wanna know going in (if you don't know them already).

Before putting hub on spindle apply light coat of grease on spindle where the seal rides, clean the area/spindle first.

Be sure and repack the bearings with fresh grease until that new grease appears from between all rollers.

The wheel bearings properly packed need no more grease, in other words don't fill the hub between inner and outer bearings with grease.

Bearing preload, tighten wheelbearing nut to 25 ft-lbs then rotate the hub in forward direction several times to seat bearings, re check/set preload to 25 ft-lbs again if seating changed value, next back off nut 1/8th turn, then finally with your fingers only (no wrench/tool) tighten nut until its snug and install cotter key.
Thanks for the quick how-to. Install went pretty smooth.