Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Excursion..or not to Excursion? (School me on diesel engines)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
BrianDye
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Excursion..or not to Excursion? (School me on diesel engines)

Ive always loved the sound (and looks) of a big diesel truck. My uncle and grandpa always had big Ford Diesels, and most of their friends did.

Unfortunately nobody at home ever had one, so I never really got to "grow up" and learn about diesel engines.

Im now 21, and have a great job, just bought us our first house, and will be purchasing a new vehicle next Spring, and its been between a diesel Excursion, and a Lincoln Navigator.

I love the features of the Navi, (cooled seats, power everything, styling, etc), but I love the size and fact that the Excursions have diesels.

Now is where I start to get confused. The X has the 7.3 and the 6.0. I personally like the 05+ front fascia better, with the one piece headlight design.

Some websites lead to the 6.0 being the better engine, with more pep, and better MPG's, but then there seems to be a lot pointing to head gasket issues and other big issues. Then we have a lot pointing towards the 7.3 being better, and more reliable BUT having tranny issues.

I have never owned a diesel before, im not a mechanic by any means, but anything that can be done with basic hand/power tools, im all for it. The diesels are turbo-charged also, which I hear a lot about "turbo leaks." Again, I have no idea what that is, or if its severe.

I drive roughly 70 miles a day (round trip) to work and back, 99% highway. I love the idea of the Excursion, being a diesel and taking those miles like a champ, vs. the Navi which will be a gas engine and start having serious issues after 200k (depending on previous maintenance, conditions, etc)

I guess my main question is:

Would you recommend getting a Diesel Excursion as a first diesel vehicle that I plan to keep for many years, and rack up ALOT of miles on? And if so, 7.3 or 6.0 and why?

I do have a second vehicle which currently is a 95 F150 I-6 4x4. I just bought it, and am in the process of changing out the power steering gearbox and all fluids. (Sat for 1.5-2 years, was a family members who passed away). I will probably be selling that and getting something small and fuel efficient about the same time I buy the next vehicle.

Girlfriend wants a Jeep Commander, so id like something small and fuel friendly, lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM
mankypro
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get ready for the 6.0 vs 7.3 holy wars to begin

Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
BrianDye
New User
Oh boy...I guess I should have knew that'd come out of this.

Lets also talk about power steering fluid vs. trans fluid in the PS pump

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
mankypro
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go over to the 6.0 forum and ask, then go to the 2nd Gen 7.3 forum, it'll be fun.

Me? I love me a 7.3, but a well maintained and upgraded 6.0 will do in a pinch.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
04fivefour
Senior User
I was in a similar dilemma, but i was set on an excursion. But everyone told me to get the v10 that it was just as good as a diesel and all that. So I got a v10, don't get me wrong it ran well besides coil on plugs always going out. it just wasn't enough for me. I then bought a 6.0 Excursion and I've been in love with it ever since.

I used to love the navigators until I worked at a used car dealership. It seemed like every one we got in had a problem somewhere. Most of the time it was the airbag suspension going bad. But most luxury vehicles we had seemed to have problems because there are so many bells and whistles. They all have some nice features but nothing is better than having that diesel at your feet. I have an XLT excursion but it has leather and is as much luxury as I need.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
BrianDye
New User
Thanks for the input. I completely agree with what you said about having all the bells and whistles to fail on me. That air ride seems to have nothing but problems, so one of my first mods would be converting to regular suspension.

Another big thing for me to consider is having no diesel experience. This would be my first one.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
BrianDye
New User
Seems more lean towards the 6.0 for better performance and fuel mileage, but thats also the one ive read having more problems. BUT any one id buy would be 05-07 (or 05-06?) Meaning its nearing 8-9 years old. Its been around the block enough times id say to have any major issues worked out...and now that I think of it, it seems like alot of those problem posts were back from 2008 and prior.

Decisions decisions...

Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
04fivefour
Senior User
If you understand an internal combustion V8, these modern diesels are almost identical besides the lack of an ignition system.

Brother I'm 22 and the only other experience I had was working on modular fords (Mustang).

Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM
TC PSD Excursion
Junior User
I have had two 7.3 ex's and i love the sound and everything about them. Havnt had any tranny issues with either. Hopefully wont.

I think either a 7.3 or a 6.0 that has its bugs worked out would be a great choice for you. Buy what you like.

I have talked to a few original owners of gas x's and they all say they wish they would have bought a diesel.

If you do buy a gasser fuel is cheaper right now and they are cheaper to maintain.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
just get one for a good price. either PSD will do the trick. Especially with you driving 70 miles or so a day. the PSD is meant for driving and towing...so have fun

either motor has its drawbacks. I wouldn't suggest a gas Excursion though for that much driving. it'll eat you alive in fuel costs

Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
MURDOMINO
Mountain Pass
Im always an avid believer of a good deal. If you need a Diesel, than you have two choices. I came up on an awesome deal for my V10 gasser and probably will keep it even after I'm finally in the market to get a diesel Ex. Whichever is the better deal either the 6.0 or 7.3, i wont worry about which is better!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If only there were someone who has and swore by a 7.3 but just recently purchased a 6.0 and could give you personal experience with both engines....

I'll try to give you the good and bad:

7.3 is a tank. It's an established, well known, beloved engine. There are plenty out there with 300k+ miles on them going strong.

It's not without it's issues, however, just like any and every other engine out there.

It's loud. "Shut it off in the drive-thru" loud.

It's a tank. A big, slow, RELIABLE tank.

If you buy a 6.0, you're playing russian roulette. This truck WILL break down on you. Period. Unless you buy it and then bullet proof it and then replace every sensor and every pigtail, you're going to have a problem somewhere down the road. Hopefully it's at a place convenient and it's not so big of a problem where the truck won't run or start. There's a lot of nitnoid, nickel and dime fixing that goes with the 6.0.

I've had mine since April and I've willingly replaced a lot of things in it because I wanted the piece of mind and power. I've also HAD to replace two sensors and two pigtails (which are separate from the sensors I've replaced) due to the truck running like a bag of poop. Sure this could happen to any vehicle with over 100k on the clock.

The good thing is that most of the problems are known. The internet mechanics here are plentiful and ridiculously helpful. Typically you can go on here and say "my truck's doing x,y,z" and you'll have an accurate answer within 10 minutes. If you hang out over on the 6.0 subforum, you'll see a pattern. Same questions with the same answers over and over again. I spend time over there even when my truck's running great (which, btw is 95% of the time) just so I can be educated on what to look for if the 'ol girl starts running rough.

If you put tunes on your 6.0 and don't go nuts with lift kits or tires, you can see upwards of 23-25 mpg on the highway (depending on your ability to stay off the skinny pedal once said tunes are applied), and 120 extra horses to help your "giddy up".

True story: I have two friends that both have 7.3s that have driven my SRL tuned 6.0 and got out saying "dayum".

Also true story: last week one of those friends was in my truck as we went on a 20 mile trip. The VGT pigtail disintegrated and couldn't turn the turbo on. That was a painful 20 mile trip. He remarked "yeah, that's why I have a 7.3" I wanted to punch him the face, but I suppose the truth hurts.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Holzarbeiter2
Freshman User
Do lots and I mean lots of reading on what it takes to get a 6.0 to be reliable.

I would recommend to anybody interested diesel engines to first understand how a diesel engine works.

Find yourself a good diesel mechanic and before you buy a 7.3 or 6.0 have them inspect it. It is money well spent to pay for a complete scan with IDS in particular on a 6.0.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Dont be afraid of anything. The 6.0 is a great motor just like all the rest. Find a truck you like have it checked out and post some pictures! Good luck hunting!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 AM
EddieEX10
Senior User
I've noticed that the happiest 6.0 owners seem to be the people that have read lots of information and know what to expect. Don't get me wrong... I've read plenty of threads about people who have done little or no modifications and are getting lots of trouble free miles. Then there are those of us that have been plagued by the well documented trouble areas. Egr coolers, ficm, sticky turbos, head gaskets, oil coolers.

My suggestion is read up and be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. I'm plenty happy with the 6.0 but I knew what I was getting into. :-)

Quick Reply: To Excursion..or not to Excursion? (School me on diesel engines)