1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm so excited!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so excited!

Did some work for a fella a month or so ago and saw this old truck sittin" all by itself next to a bean field.I thot,I want that.Asked him about it and he said sure,700 bucks.Hmmm.So I went and checked it out.Pretty rough but I could see the beauty under the rust and weeds growing up out of the bed.It"s an F4 w/duals,1 1/4 ton I guess.Has a dump bed which will be handy bein" I'm a carpenter.Anyways,after about three weeks of fartin" around with it not being too familiar with such 6 volt beasts I got it running! It has a flat 6 w/4 speed trans. PO said it didn't have the dreaded WM's but I'm not too sure about that.Have to find some #'s on the rims I guess.But after much frustration and about 150 in parts I'll be bringin' it home next weekend.This is my first oldtruck project ever,done many Harleys in my day but nothin' like this. Found out that it had been rebuilt 2 years before he parked it,dosen't smoke or leak after sittin' for 10 years.Plugs were nice and clean, needs some wiring replaced and wotnot, but its all there.He must have felt sorry for me cause when I went to pay him for it he says 250 will do.I'm diggin' on that.Gives me more $$ to put towards somethin' else.Sorry to go on like this but I'm so excited!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I would be excited too with a find like that. Did you get a title that matches the frame number? F4s are neat, large enough to do some meaningful work. A closeup of the dish side of the wheel will tell if it is the WM or not. Hope it does not have the raised band. So what year is it? Pictures are appreciated.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool. Don't apologize for "going on" like that. We understand your excitement and most of us would have keep going on and on at least twice that. And post some pics asap.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Great find! I'm sorta half-way looking for a 51-52 F4 myself. I agree, it's a great size truck, and yours dumps!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Really glad to see another F4 being saved. We really want to see some pics. I see you're not new to the site, but if you need help uploading pics, just ask.

And that's really great that he knocked the price down! When does that ever happen?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
ohbrian
Senior User
The only thing you should be sorry for is not posting pictures

Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohbrian
The only thing you should be sorry for is not posting pictures
haha...agreed!

Old 11-01-2013, 02:12 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Add my welcome. Since you say it is a dually, the original F-4 dual rear wheel set up was 7.00" x 18" tires and wheels. If you have 18s they are widow makers. If 20s were retro fitted it could be that you dodged the bullet. Do yourself a Google Images search for the technical name "Firestone RH-5°" to see widow maker pictures. Stu

Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Toby
Welcome aboard! Did you have to drain the gas tank, radiator, etc.? What did you have to do to get it running?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html Bob's link is not working. Can someone in the know tell me why?

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube. Thanks Sam Rusty_Old_F250. Best we can find is that this video was done by Gundown64

Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Now you can't tell us a story like that and not show us, that's mean!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Thanks for the welcome

No pics just yet,daughter has the camera.It's a 48,and the guy I got it from was the second owner so the numbers will probably match.He had told me the rims weren't WM;s.I hope they aren't.Had quite a time getting it goin.No battery so he pulls one out of his old tractorand throw it in.Got it to turn over real slow.Looked on this forum and found the trucks are pickey about clean connections.So we work on that, alls clean.still slow. Yank the starter and the commutator is wore quite a bit.Clean that up, back together,move the ground cable down by the starter,still slow.Hmmm,The rite size battery helps quite a bit.Gas tank was full of crud ,so I made an IV out of some hose and a gearoil bottle,vroom vroom!Pulled it into his shop tocheck stuff out real good.Rusty brake lines replaced but no fluid past the repaired areas.Blockage at the flexible lines I think.Some thing I'll have to check out when I get it home.Gonna have to google the rims soon just to make sure.I'llwatch the youtube thing to see how to post pics.Anyways thanks for the welcome and the info.I'm sure I'll be lookin' to pick some brains later on. Oh yeah, I got some plug wires off a 68 cutlass supreme w/a v8. Worked out pretty good.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Well, I got my gas tank home today. Started cleaning the crud out,mostly flakes of rust. I was going to try the muratic acid thing since I had about 1 1/2 gals already but I think I wanna try the electrolysis way first.Gotta figure out how to submerse the whole thjng,big old tub of some sort.Does the tub have to be nonmetallic?I wanna do it before it starts gettin' too cold out.In central MN. that could be next week.I'm wondering about the fuel shut-off too. Do they make one that might have a screen of some sort, or maybe one that extends into the tank a little bit?Looked at the Napa in town,pretty futile tryin' to find stuff there for some reason.Can't wait to get the rest of the truck home,got one side of the shop cleaned out just for it.If anyone has any ideas about the shut-off or cleanin' the tank out I'd appreciate it. Thanks guy's,have a good one.Sorry no pics yet.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
My best advice would be to not mess around with trying to save a sludged up tank and just replace it with a new one. They're relatively inexpensive, and moreso when you factor in all the hassle and expense with cleaning the old one, and the ongoing misery when it still doesn't work and you're chasing fuel delivery problems. Use the same thought process with the brakes. Safety and runability isn't worth jury-rigging, imho.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Toby,
Listen to Wayne on this one. It's not worth it to mess with an old gas tank full of rust, pin holes, & stuff. We bought a mustang tank from Rock Auto for $120 & put it under the bed out back. Looking back after our build - I'd recommend replacing gas tanks, radiators, gas lines, & brake lines.

Hang in there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Quick Reply: I'm so excited!