Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

November BS ing (Just a tad early)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt'n Phillips
Turns out this 5.4 gets 21 mpg all over the country.
Capt'n
That depends on your right foot. Mileage and the weight of your right foot are inversely proportional. You obviously have a light foot. My work van, an '09 E250 with the 4.6 gets about 16-17 at 70mph. But if I slide over to the right lane and set the cruise control to 55 I get 21mph all day long. I just crank up the tunes and chill out watching the "get outa my way" fights going on in the left lane.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 PM
RavageX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a set of bellowed up pipes today. I would have like to get the ones from riffraff but my funding is very low so I got some from amazon for $170. I do buy just about everything else for the truck from riffraff though and I have a long list of mods to get when ever I'm doing better.

Ever thought about selling the car and getting a crown vic police model. They usually go for under $1500 with only 80k miles.
*yeah I know there are also thousands of idling hours too*

Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by RavageX
I ordered a set of bellowed up pipes today. I would have like to get the ones from riffraff but my funding is very low so I got some from amazon for $170. I do buy just about everything else for the truck from riffraff though and I have a long list of mods to get when ever I'm doing better.

Ever thought about selling the car and getting a crown vic police model. They usually go for under $1500 with only 80k miles.
*yeah I know there are also thousands of idling hours too*
BUT at least you know what the history is/was and not ending up
with something that got drowned and dried out.

Sean

Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Capt'n- Are you in the USCG or a contractor?

Ravage good deal on the bellowed up pipes when I was searching thats one thing my brother made me aware of on 7.3's. I ended up with a V10 for cost reasons but one day will have a diesel.

Greusome- I have not changed a thermostat on those but believe they are on the top of the engine. Thermostat and new coolant should help it out alot. It should be a good runner and save you some money as well. Also can't complain about adding a Ford to the stable.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah I'm not too concerned on lack of power, it won't be used for towing as much as hauling stuff and helping people move. Plus my town does a holiday social and they give out trees for the less fortunate folks and a lot of them don't have a way to transport them. When I had my 88 ranger I helped move trees with them. If I need to pull or tow something I can use the bronco.

As for the coolant issue we were also thinking a head gasket or freeze plug, however the exhaust smells clean, the engine runs well and there was no milkyness in the oil. I'm not quite sure where the t-stat is but it can't be terribly hard to change. It's an auto E4OD. Unfortunately.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Capt'n- Are you in the USCG or a contractor?

In both pre and post 9/11. 1st Southern, 7th and now 14th dist.s.
Capt'n

Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Yeah I'm not too concerned on lack of power, it won't be used for towing as much as hauling stuff and helping people move. Plus my town does a holiday social and they give out trees for the less fortunate folks and a lot of them don't have a way to transport them. When I had my 88 ranger I helped move trees with them. If I need to pull or tow something I can use the bronco.

As for the coolant issue we were also thinking a head gasket or freeze plug, however the exhaust smells clean, the engine runs well and there was no milkyness in the oil. I'm not quite sure where the t-stat is but it can't be terribly hard to change. It's an auto E4OD. Unfortunately.
Unlink in my case you could use the test solution to check for a head gasket leak.
You can "rent" it at Autozone.

I also have both a vacuum and pressure coolant test set.

Sean

Old 11-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Gruesome- I believe the thermostats are located on top if they are the same or close to 5.4/ 6.8 they are all at the top. Check out this link.
2004 F250 5.4L Coolant Flush

Capt'n- I have been in pre 9/11 as well. Boot camp in high school in 7/01 graduated 4 days prior. Was in the PSU in Everett, WA and now at Sector puget sound. Reservist been activated twice. Semper Paratus shipmate.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:55 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Thanks for the link however, I called the deal off. I drove a friend home a day about 50 feet from their driveway the whole cabin of the car started filling with smoke. It was enough where I couldn't see and hardly breath, after pulling over and shutting it down I let it clear out and couldn't find the source. Eventually I just started it and kept going till I was back at the gas station. Found out 2 wires have been roasted some how.

After that happened I decided to call it off, he is a friend of mine and I didn't want leave him with all these problems.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Happy Turkey Day, Everyone!!!

Old 11-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Turkey Coma day.

Yummy!

Sean

Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good day to everyone...did you all have enough turkey, football and family? Enjoy your day.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Turkey day was a good day, had some family over with the usual feast and some alcohol. I was feeling pretty good by the time I went to bed.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Gruesome- I believe the thermostats are located on top if they are the same or close to 5.4/ 6.8 they are all at the top. Check out this link.
2004 F250 5.4L Coolant Flush

Capt'n- I have been in pre 9/11 as well. Boot camp in high school in 7/01 graduated 4 days prior. Was in the PSU in Everett, WA and now at Sector puget sound. Reservist been activated twice. Semper Paratus shipmate.
Semper Paratus my fellow puddle pirate! Just let my DO rating go but still maintain a mobile com.s facility up here on San Juan Island. (Ssshhh...no body knows). Folks here still wonder why that plain white F-150 looks like a porcupine driving around. Last duty was Cutter Sta. Ft. Myers (home state) but I keep my gumby handy around here. Brrr!!
Capt'n

Quick Reply: November BS ing (Just a tad early)